Sign in to follow this  
ant_1984

FSX on networked PC's - What, Why & How?

With REX-E, the answer is that you have to install it on both PCs in full. The former REX version allowed for the weather engine part to run as a separate and small exe, while REX-E combines all modules into one large app.

Hello

I only have REX-E installed on my client laptop and it injects the weather and textures to the FSX machine just fine.

I do not think that it needs to be on both machines, that would not make sense given that they use simconnect.

Point taken. True, when you want to run it from the client only, you don't need to install it on the FSX PC. This may save the SSD folks some gb. Thanks for pointing that out.

I think it helps not having loads of progs all competing for one hard drive too? Surely that must be true right?

Same as on the case with the memory load I guess. In theory, there surely is a relief, but the practical outcome may not show any benefit in FSX, fps-wise, on the mentioned system. Some of my tools run on C (SSD) and only few reside on the FSX disk (HDD). While I think that the initial start of some flight planner or the weather application does make use of the disk, the later operation won't add significant loads when compared to FSX itself. I saw REX-E saving its weather data files in the interval defined. But those few mb don't ruin anything on a modern HDD or even SSD being cached by Win7.

I've also checked the performance log on the actual CPU load the moving map thingies or EFB cause and the only process 'competing' with FSX itself is the System Idle while the rest rarely jumps from 0 to 1 percent. I've also waited for REX-E to process the weather data and then injecting it into FSX. The actual injection caused some 2-3 seconds of less fps, but the funny thing was that this happens when running networked and local at the very same rate.

You've mentioned the stable sound, which is a good point unless one plans to invest some extra money for that sound module from Flight1.

I looked into the Flight1 module but until they revise their policy towards Prepar3d I won't be spending any money with them.

I've looked at that one too, but mainly like this. :shok: I guess I'm just (too) used to the sound switching or do work around it with the methods you've mentioned.

The cleanest run I could achieve. 23 fps again. I've later added all the extra programs and let the browser play its flash video while MP3 also performed and, still, 23 fps.

I've never rated my FSX performance by FPS as it is misleading. You can have fps in the 60's or 100's and still have terrible performance -- believe me, I've seen it! I go by smoothness, by responsiveness, by lack of brurries, by timely appearance of textures without black spaces waiting to be filled in. All this is related not only to processor and video card power but also on the speed of the connections between components, especially memory to video, disk to memory, memory to processor caches. Every extra thread and process running is a potential hold up, at any time, on any of these avenues of information. Therefore for top performance (in my terms) I always offload whatever can be offloaded.

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Agreed, Pete. However, to describe some performance gain in forums, I think the fps value acts as a neutral indicator. On the performance felt while running my things locally or networked, it didn't make any difference. As said, I often switch the modes when my other PC is 'occupied' by the lady and I don't sit there and receive tons of blurry textures or other downsides just because REX-E and stuff is adding some load. It's the same.

I don't question the theory, but I do think that Win7 and some quad or more core CPU can handle quite some tasks without showing stress signs. Well, at least my personal tests showed this and I would encourage everyone to try for himself of course.

Staying on the theory level, I'd say that networked stuff may free up some resources but may also add some lag.

Therefore for top performance (in my terms) I always offload whatever can be offloaded.

If I may ask out of interest, what programs run networked at your end?

I don't question the theory, but I do think that Win7 and some quad or more core CPU can handle quite some tasks without showing stress signs.

Yes, and for 90% or more of my flying loads of extra processes running on the same PC would make no difference. But i measure by what it is like taxiing, taking off and, especally, landing at a complex add-on airport with realistic levels of AI and weather and good dense scenery settings.

I have an 2500K processor running at 4.8 GHz with a GTX 580 3Gb overclocked, 8 Gb of 2000 MHz memory and everything on fast SATA 3 SSDs (system, FSX and scenery on separate SSDs). With UK2000 Heathrow and realistic AI (MyTrafficX + UT2) I struggle to maintain 20 fps but just about do. It actually deteriorates over time as landing traffic on approach builds up. This 20 fps is maintained with smoothness -- if not I'd turn down some settings. but all my upgrades have been aimed at getting a properly flyable Heathrow, with the airport looking and behaving like i know it.

To achieve this I've moved pretty much everything off. Not AS2012 though I find it's main load on FSX is in the sending of weather data via SimConnect, and this can actually be a heavier load arriving across the Network.

If I may ask out of interest, what programs run networked at your end?

There are 6 networked client computers, 5 under the "hood" in the cockpit, and 1 outside.

Cockpit PCs are:

"CUBE" with two normal screens running Project Magenta pilot PFD/ND and copilot PFD/ND plus two 7" touchscreens, pilot sim controls and copilot sim controls.

"EICAS" running one screen for EICAS with TSR-ECAS program instead of PM's, plus a Lua program replacing "ShowText" for RC menus on a nother 7" screen.

"CDU" running PM's CDU and MCP, with my own PFC MCP driver

"RCDU" running PM's RCDU, plus TSR-Systems (instead of PMsystems) and my own CS Overhead driver

"EFB" running the display part of Aivlasoft's EFB

All those except the EFB use WideFS. Aivlasoft use their own connection.

The outside PC is "EXTRAS" running:

IYP, Radar Contact, SuperTrafficBoard's front-end, FSRealTime, AISmooth, AESRemote, PMsounds, SA_WXR, FSXFollow,

and a program of my own to switch sound programmatically between headset and overhead.

These are a mix of WideFS and Simconnect and direct connections.

Regards

Pete

:Hypnotized: Now that's what I call a FSX setup.

To achieve this I've moved pretty much everything off. Not AS2012 though I find it's main load on FSX is in the sending of weather data via SimConnect, and this can actually be a heavier load arriving across the Network.

Interesting aspect. So you notice a difference when running it (AS2012) networked? Still asking out of interest. How does the increased network load manifest itself in the sim?

Interesting aspect. So you notice a difference when running it (AS2012) networked? Still asking out of interest. How does the increased network load manifest itself in the sim?

It just appeared to me that the weather updatng wasn't so smooth. I moved ActiveSky back to the FSX PC way back towards the end of ASX days, when i was using locally set weather not DWC. I think it was due to the sheer quantity of info being supplied at intervals, for all the weather station updates. Not tried ASE or AS2012 on a client. Maybe it would actually be better now that I'm using global weather mode with DWC.

Pete

Wow, this is really interesting stuff!

I only have REX-E installed on my client laptop and it injects the weather and textures to the FSX machine just fine.

Has anyone running REX solely on the client PC experienced any drawbacks from doing this? It would be a bonus being able to save some HDD space on my FSX machine.

I guess it's the same as on the improvements when running networked. One would have to try if it makes a difference for him. Be aware that, on some weather software, the hardware change (client and FSX PC obviously differ) will eat some of the activations. From what I saw, REX-E does not make use of that system though. So testing should be easy with installing it on the FSX and client and then checking for any downsides.

Same as you, I've found Pete's point on the network load to be an interesting food for thought.

This has been an interesting thread. I haven't convinced myself of the need to use a networked machine. I assumed that having a multicore, with FSX running 100% on one core, the other programs would just use the other ones. I don't see much of a difference when I have some external programs completely off (e.g. Activesky 2012) so having it on another machine didn't seem to be worth the hassle. I'm on a 2600k i7 running at 4.6Ghz.

I definitely see why Pete would be doing it though. :)

-Ivan

Hello

I do not think that it needs to be on both machines, that would not make sense given that they use simconnect.

Hey mad dog,

Could you please outline the setup process you used to get you system up and running. I had REX 2.0OD on a network and it all worked great. Not there are no WX engine files so I'm at a loss. Please help.

I have been using networked PC’s for years and I find it very useful solution. On my second PC, I run the following applications:

1) Active Sky 2012 – a weather and scenery enhancement program.

Link - http://www.hifitechinc.com/

2) Touchbuddy – a freeware touchscreen that permits me to hook up a 10.4 inch touchscreen on the second PC and send key-press commands over the network to FSX.

Link to screenshots - http://www.touch-buddy.com/forums/ppost/showgallery.php?si=&limit=&thumbsonly=2&perpage=12&cat=2&ppuser=0&thumbcheck=1&page=1&sortby=&sorttime=0&way=&cat=2

3) Electronic Flight Bag (AivlaSoft) – This is a really cool software that allows me to display the entire path of the flight from the departure airport to the arrival airport. It is great at displaying all the airport parking spaces as it uses the AFCAD file for data.

Link - http://www.aivlasoft.com/products/efb/index.html

I find not only does it offload the FSX PC, but I can manipulate all three applications as FSX pretty much runs undisturbed.

I also like to run FSX full screen, so I don’t have to impose more stuff on the FSX graphics card load.

The only challenge is sharing drives and folders, mapping drives, and installing FSX SDK’s.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

So today, with a bit of free time I thought I would see what I could do about getting my fsx to run faster.

I have a powerful system but flying into imaginesim KATL this morning my fps was like a slide show. Mind you I run about every addon ever made all on this one machine.

I do have my old PC that has Win 7 4 gigs a couple of gtx 260s that is sitting doing nothing. So i though maybe that could be used.

My FSX main PC has 16 gig fast ram, Asus 900MHz 7950 3 gig vid, and a i7 @4.8.

I believe the culprit is UT2 set to 100% and ATL landing and departing alot of tubes at one time. As I took off from KJAX without any lag. Also get that at flytampa's Tampa (but that is a given with grass on)

I run the new REX but textures only not their weather. I use Open clouds (soon Opus) for that. I also have UTX, GEX, FSgenisis, TrackIR, Ezdok, SHADE, Shockwave Lights, accu feel, cs wx, in the j41 all updated. No enb (I think it sucks)

I also have tweaked my fsx.cfg

HIGHMEMFIX = 1

UsePools=0

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

I don't care for the cheaters like EFB or anything like that running. I want to learn systems and find myself slacking if I can just look at an self updating map. I do look at SkyVector on a laptop (not connected) next to me for approaches and charts.

So......from this post I do not really see the advantage. Sometimes I run RC and want to run it more - but if that is all that can run on the second PC I can not see an advantage.

CoolP (or anyone) you have helped me in the past, maybe you can suggest something - hardware or anything. Like would a second 7950 have any effect? Ivy bridge? I do not mind investing to run everything. i just would rather not drop my "ultimate" experience with all of the addons.

Orbx runs mint always.

I do defrag with Disktrix, use Tuneup turbo mode and eset in game mode.....ehh whatelse can I do?

The setup of the second PC is fine. Might do it for giggles. But does not sound that impressive for a decent system.

Oh yeah - I run three 27" screens in eyefinty.

PS I am no Pete...but I wish I was. :)

I guess in the end the question would be - Does the limit just come at some point and no matter how much hardware you can throw at it fsx just can only handle so much?

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"