•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo

Weather radar

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kjetilhj

kjetilhj

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 7 Months and 25 Days Ago.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:21 AM

Hi. I tried to ask for this in CS forum a few days ago, but no reply. So I try here.

The 707 weather radar is very cool, I really like it, but to me it seems the tilt button is working but the function is not there. I tried in different weather at different altitudes and I never see any difference when I tilt the radar up or down. I also tried this by have it on and when going above the clouds the screen goes blank when no clouds ahead with zero degrees tilt, when tilting, it should show because of the cloud layer I just got through (climb and descent). Do I miss something here?

Thanks
Kjetil
Posted Image
Kjetil H Jensen

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 pcubine

pcubine

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,213 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 7 Months and 12 Days Ago.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

Kjetil

The WX Radar should not show the presence of clouds. Radar should only show rain and its intensity.

Michael Cubine

Michael Cubine

The World On Time

#3 kjetilhj

kjetilhj

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 7 Months and 25 Days Ago.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

No matter what it supposed to show. Say when I fly just a few thousand feet above heavy rain the radar should pick it up when I tilt it to point down. When the scope don't show the rain anymore because I climb above it when at zero degrees angle, then it should come back when tilting to -15 degree (down) angle.

I tried this with all kind of clouds, including heavy wet clouds with alot of rain when flying below.

Kjetil
Posted Image
Kjetil H Jensen

#4 MatzeH84

MatzeH84

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 8 Months and 15 Days Ago.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

The WX Radar should not show the presence of clouds. Radar should only show rain and its intensity.

True, but it will also show ground returns when tilted down far enough. So does the RXP radar, and this is important if you intend to use it as close to reality as possible. In FS there are many limitations, RXP came as close to it as possible, but the CS radar in the 707 is a joke.

Regards.
Matthias Hanel
forum1yt.jpgforum2ve.jpg

#5 vololiberista

vololiberista

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,476 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 4 Months and 5 Days Ago.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

Yet another thread where the expectation is that weather radar should work! It doesn't because it can't. The way in which the sim creates and displays clouds and precipitation is completely different to real life. All the the weather radar can do is to display pretty pictures which are predifined to make it "look good" on your panel. It cannot and does not display actual precipitation.
You won't get any better than you have already. Don't try to use it as a tool to avoid storms or precipitation. It doesn't work at all.

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!