Sign in to follow this  
antic81

Do the Jesus tweaks affect draw distance?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone would know if, as the title suggests, do the ******* tweaks affect the draw distance in FSX?

Reason I ask is I am having some trouble with UT2 and traffic dissappearing at very short distances - I have been on their forums and it would appear that I am configured correctly - with all my FSX sliders in the correct place as well as UT2's maxed out.

The only thing I can think of is possibly the tweaking tool may have altered the FSX config file - perhaps reducing draw distance to assist with FPS, only problem with that is then it kind of makes UT2 a bit pointless!

I can see the traffic on my TCAS but its just not visible to the eye and sort of fades in about a mile away if not closer(lights visible first).

Im also using ASE2012 and EZDOK. The sim runs great at 30 FPS locked most of the time.

My system is only a few days old so everything is brand new installs including FSX SP2.

Specs are I7 3770, @4.5GHz, 16 GB RAM, geforce GTX680 and running FSX on an 256GB SSD.

Any help or even a point in the right direction would certainly be appreciated!

Many thanks!

Anthony

Anthony Milner

AI aircraft come with what is called Level of Detail or LOD. From a distance very little detail is shown, such as, landing

gear, texture and they appear very cuboid. As the aircraft get closer more details appear. I also believe the distance at

which textures appear depends on the performance of you rig and how much work it has to do.

I experienced the same phenomenon after applying the tweaks. I believe it has something to do with draw small objects but I can't be sure. It bothered me enough to not use the tweaks and instead apply specific tweaks to a clean fsx.cfg as outlined in the thread about hardware and software from the avsim user known as Word Not Allowed. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/370594-read-before-posting-software-hardware-guide-for-fsx/

Regards;

Fritz

The tweak Smallparticlereject.... has to do with it. I believe ******* sets it at =4.0. This tweak doesnt effect a lot of things after SP2 but some objects are still effected like ai.

Try commenting that line out using the two // in front of the line and test to see. If it makes a difference then you solved the problem.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You can set the distance at which UT2 spawns traffic in its options, as low as five miles and as high as a hundred or so I think. This might not be connected with the small part radius reject tweak in the fsx.cfg file but it probably has some influence. The small part reject tweak can have the effect of removing things like undercarriage from AI aircraft.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Delete smallpartrejectradius line in your .cfg. His tweaks add it.

It doesn't really do anything for performance anyway on modern computers. It's an outdated tweak.

Hey guys,

Yeah I thought it may be that - thanks for the help - I'll save a backup and then delete the line and let you chaps know!

You can set the distance at which UT2 spawns traffic in its options, as low as five miles and as high as a hundred or so I think. This might not be connected with the small part radius reject tweak in the fsx.cfg file but it probably has some influence. The small part reject tweak can have the effect of removing things like undercarriage from AI aircraft.

Yeah I saw that and ajusted it to max but it had no affect so I thought it may be the tweaked .CFG.

Will report back shortly!

Anthony

Anthony Milner

Anthony,

Strangely enough, I found a solution by chance last night on FTX's Forum.

To give credit where credit is due, here's the link:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/46875-ai-not-appearing-at-distance-25-miles/

I've set mine as 'SmallPartRejectRadius=1.0' (Under the Scenery category) and the issue has disappeared. I can now see AI for miles! and even my own aircraft when viewed from quite a long distance at an airport (on the ground or in flight) when I use an EZdok World Camera for example.

Hope this helps,

Jean-Jacques

Sorted chaps! Thanks for the help!

Deleted the line and all good now!

Anthony,

http://www.orbxsyste...tance-25-miles/

I've set mine as 'SmallPartRejectRadius=1.0' (Under the Scenery category) and the issue has disappeared. I can now see AI for miles! and even my own aircraft when viewed from quite a long distance at an airport (on the ground or in flight) when I use an EZdok World Camera for example.

Hope this helps,

Jean-Jacques

Jean-Jacques,

Thanks for that! It was driving me nuts!

As I said I just got rid of the whole line and seems to have fixed it perfectly!

FSX is all good and ready for me to break it again! HAHA!

Anthony Milner

JJM, thanks for the find!

Cheers,

Dirk.

Anthony,

http://www.orbxsyste...tance-25-miles/

I've set mine as 'SmallPartRejectRadius=1.0' (Under the Scenery category) and the issue has disappeared.

Hope this helps,

Jean-Jacques

Jean-Jacques, is it a problem that I don't have this line in my fsx.cfg (I'm not using any of the ORBIX sceneries)?

Thanks,

Dirk.

Hi Dirk,

This entry in FSX's configuration file has nothing to do with ORBX scenery. If you don't have the entry in your configuration file and AI aircraft are visible far away from the airport, then I wouldn't try to add the entry to your FSX configuration file. In my case, I had it in my FSX configuration file but it was 'commented' out (two slashes (//) in front of the entry) but the AI planes kept disappearing prematurely I thought, yet I could see their landing lights. After reactivating the line by deleting the two slashes (//) in front of the entry and adding the '=1' as suggested on the FTX post, I can now see AI aircraft for miles. But after reading other comments on this thread, I may try deleting the entry all-together to see what happens!

If you're satisfied with what you see, that is, if what you see seems to reflect reality, then I wouldn't do anything.

Regards,

JJ

Hi Dirk,

This entry in FSX's configuration file has nothing to do with ORBX scenery. If you don't have the entry in your configuration file and AI aircraft are visible far away from the airport, then I wouldn't try to add the entry to your FSX configuration file.

JJ

Jean-Jacques, I didn't have this entry and the AI disappeared at short distance. I'll try this tweak.

Thanks,

Dirk.