Sign in to follow this  
JasonHarris

Interesting graphics performance.

I didnt expect this. I guess that it's not the gpu limiting things, at least not the ati 7970 as I would expect frames to drop as the resolution increases if the gpu was being taxed.

So, I guess there is room to add more graphical eyecandy without a performance loss.

Details are on the youtube page. Edit, I see youtube embeds it, so the short version for those that dont go to the YT page is resolution of over 4000x2000 and I am getting 28-42 fps

Congratulations! Can you turn HDR and global shadows + clouds with XPX 10.10b1? What CPU are you using?

I could never run hdr very well so I have always had it off.

I have not upgraded given the problems some have had so far.. I will try some of the other settings.

When I got a bit higher in the sky my FPS were well in the 50's.

I am using an i5 2500k at stock. Since I put in my 7970 it has been flakey at my normal overclock of 4.5G and I never got back to tuning it after removing the OC.

Just tried the update but it crashes while loading so I cant tell you how it performs on the latest.

It could be the joystick issue but my box is not in such an easy position to plug in and unplug stuff so I will roll back.

Heres one with a bit of cloud, with a lot more cloud it didnt impact frames too much either. I am quite surprised, I have always had frames below what I expected so I didn't think I would get these frames on such a large screen.

FPS monitor is on the image.

I don't really give a fig about HDR-but my part of the world looks nothing like my part of the world-just saying.....

Neither does my part of the world. This shot was using the reunion scenery and I must admit that while my local area was important to me most of my time simming is no longer in xplane or fsx so when it comes time for me to do a bit of civilian simming I am content to do it on some other part of the planet as long as I have a flightplan and something to do.

ATC is the real thing bugging me about using xpx right now.

Another killer on my machine was the OSM data for france. I tried it but there was so much data that when I looked in a populated area it dived.

So heres another shot. A good cloud covering and the same france with OSM. It's still sitting on 30fps at 4000x2000.

I still cant figure where the performance has come from. Everything is on high or 'tons' etc. Only thing turned off is traffic as I had read there was an ATI bug related to it.

Not that I care, as long as it keeps going..

I tried a helicopter flying low along the roads. Had to stop once I got that feeling that I might barf. Those screens set up like that are pretty awesome if you like your helos.

Just to give an orientation to people who plan to upgrade:

Never had Problems with HDR+FXAA on my system (only one screen). Can run clouds at 50%, high overall settings and stable 30+ fps. SSAA is a problem in detailed sceneries (EDDM), fps can go down to 20.

This was on 10.05. In my opinion HDR is what makes the difference in XP10. I hope more people will be able to use it with 10.10 and higher.

Cheers

Flo

My System: Win7-64, GTX670, i7 2600k@4.2, 8GB Ram

I am really hoping that after the final version is released that we can all enjoy HDR like we were supposed to do in this software title. It's kind of pointless having it, if you cannot use it, no matter what VID card you have. They must realize that not everyone can go out and spend $400.00 on an EPIC WIN CARD! :) -- GTX 580's - ATI 7950's Etc ... all expensive cards...

I have this funny feeling that when they release the 64 bit version of XPX - we will all be able to downgrade our PC's LOL

But not many of the older cards were designed to SUPPORT HDR at all. The 5xx series cards were first to natively support HDR. The older cards only supported it in DirectX 10.1 applications (since rarely are high-end games in OpenGL, as most are targeted at the Windows only audience, DirectX is natively assumed). I'm not so sure about the ATI side of things, but I'd assume the 67xx series cards may have been a similar case with support. HDR with all the lighting tricks and 3d objects XP is rendering is demanding a lot of a video card, even for those that are designed for it. The only way to make those that would make your type of statement happy would be to disable the option for those users that should not be able to run HDR without a major performance hit. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't like LR deciding for me what I can and can't run on my machine. Give me the options and let me decide what's important to me and what my system can handle.

If I built my same PC 3 times, I would get different capabilities out of each one, even using the exact same components. This one won't overclock up to 4.8gHz happily or stably where this other one will go up to 5.1 without breaking a sweat. This one has issues overclocking the memory to 2300mHz. For whatever reason, a different PC will have different results regarding top-end performance such as FPS. They may be similar, but while this PC gets 34FPS with the same settings a same build PC will get 43FPS same situation. Yet another may only get 30. Playing with the settings will tell you which settings are better for you system, especially when pushing it to the limits as we all tend to do.

This looks amazing! How did you get the image on all 4 screens (namely the control screen)?

Are you running the main 3 with you ATI and another card running the 4th screen as IOS for the instruments?

Thanks so much!

Hello, thanks for the comment. It was fairly easy to do really.

I have five monitors on that computer and four of them are arranged as in the resolution screen with the same layout as the physical one. They are all running off the same card as an extended desktop. There was no eyefinity for this configuration.

Once I ran xplane in windowed mode I just moved it to the top left and resized it to cover all the monitors. Of course anything that spans over my touchscreen means I can touch to get the same effect as a mouse click. So, no magic to it, pretty simple really :)

My 5th screen is for a CDU I am building. In fact I just made a little bit of progress on that today as some material for the buttons arrived so I made the buttons and put them in, soon I can use it :) I know a couple numeric buttons are not straight, they will be when I do the final assembly :) The screen looks crisp as well, it just looks bad in the photo.

With any luck I will be able to use it in xplane some day when I start to look at their api.

Great thanks for the videos and info...Really interesting and impressive!!

I'm a total x-plane10 noob and wanted to know which add-ons you had for aircraft/scenery/airport on the original video you posted.

It's just such a great 3d cockpit and the airport/scenery is fantastic!

Thanks!