Sign in to follow this  
TracyQ

Need opinions on Vertigo Studios model 75 Stearman

Very little, almost non-existent, posting about this product. Some screenshots and little else, both here and at other sites.

I bought it, even without reviews, because I just love this airplane: big radial out front, open cockpit, and two wings! I had Robert Sanderson's PT75 for FS9, and it was just great, but I am VERY disappointed with VS Studio's offering.

My issues: terrible looping engine sounds, pretty lame (it seems to me) flight model (just does not feel right, although I am not a pilot and have never even ridden as a passenger in a model 75, so maybe throw that complaint right out), but most importantly>>starting using the starter puts me in a mad dash down the runway! Control+E seems to work better, but really!

This is not freeware, I paid $35 US. I would like to know what others think of this offering, maybe it is my setup or something, although every other plane I have in my FSX hanger behaves just fine, thank you.

Am I the only one having problems?

I don't have it... doesn't interest me. I do admit there's very few reviews info on it from users. Have you tried Sim Outhouse.com?

For what it's worth I liked your honest review... most people would never question their setups. I'm not saying yours is at fault either.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

SOH, the repainter's forum? Kicked out because I don't have a "proper" email addy.

One poster over there mentioned similar problems, but I don't think many over there actually fly, they just repaint.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

It's a little more than a repainters forum... but that's besides the point... I use a gmail account with them... you just need to talk to the forum admin to get it setup.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

. I use a gmail account with them... you just need to talk to the forum admin to get it setup.

I tried numerous times to do just that, never got the courtesy of a reply.

I bought the Vertigo Stearman. It is a very beautiful model, and the FDE seems pretty good. It doesn't feel like a Cessna. I have had some system problems with it. It doesn't seem to play nice with A2A's Accu-Feel, and I like Accu-Feel a lot. I have also experienced some texture loading issues in very complex sceneries like Orbx Ketchikan. It's fun to fly, so I tend to use it in areas where I don't have a bunch of complex scenery add-ons.

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

I bought the Vertigo Stearman. It is a very beautiful model, and the FDE seems pretty good. It doesn't feel like a Cessna. I have had some system problems with it. It doesn't seem to play nice with A2A's Accu-Feel, and I like Accu-Feel a lot. I have also experienced some texture loading issues in very complex sceneries like Orbx Ketchikan. It's fun to fly, so I tend to use it in areas where I don't have a bunch of complex scenery add-ons.

Ah! Maybe Accufeel has something to do with my problems! Never thought of that. I will fiddle with that this weekend, and see if it helps. Good catch !

As a party involved in a number of items brought forward in thread perhaps I can add some context to the discussion.

The Stearman itself is a very high resolution model and texture set, the maximum supported in a number of respects with the curves fully defined throughout and 4096 textures on over 300,000 polygons for the model.

With few systems and no "glass" lowering FPS in the VC the focus in game is on the visuals and the original Kevin Miller mesh was produced prior to him doing the version in Flight, a much higher detail model was supported for FSX and is presented here, the few systems there are such as a mounted flashlight for night lighting can be moved and focused, its dimmable, the control surface lock works.

Apart those novel parts there was little out of the norm aside its starter sequence and that had no reports of jumping as mentioned earlier leading to a controller issue as the probable cause of the problem reported at the opening of the thread, any help that can be offered here i am happy to offer.

The Bearcat had a couple of outstanding issues to rectify, Dean of Vertigo Studios made every effort to get the original models and I was charged with the task of producing the service packs, the Panther Maxfile was version compatible (Max9) and the SP released , the Bearcat was not version compatible and with nearly a year having been required to get the files from the original modeller it was something of a problem to rectify, the Bearcat SP is expected , Dean has done as much as could be done on his part to satisfy his obligations, the outstanding SP is the last of those he promised to attend to, he has attended to all of his obligations to the best of his ability and continues to do so.

I purchased this Stearman and the complaint I have is that when sitting on the runway there is just too much movement, the tail wheel lifts slightly off the ground and there seems to be just too much vibration both outside the plane and from the cockpit. I complained to Vertigo and got a response to change some of the points of contact which did very little, they gave me a followup to changing some other things in the aircraft.cfg which I have not done so far. I am curious, has anyone else had this condition or is it just me?

I bought the thing a few days ago. Not a good use of $40. Had to swap in the very satisfying Aaron Swindle sound set from elsewhere (there are in-cockpit videos of the Stearman where the engine sound is very apparent; it's not just the funny loop, but the absence of ROAR that disappoints with this model as delivered). And no, I do beg to differ: the 4096 set of textures are not "very high resolution" in comparison to anything else that retails for $40. I initially installed the 2048 set, but they were sub-sub-sub-standard, so I installed the 4096 set: detailing around outside of cockpit in VC view is most definitely not "very high resolution." And damn, that trailer was so cool (maybe Orbx scenery makes anything look good!)

I know this is an older topic but I do have to agree with hypercide. I bought this model as well when it was initally released. The original sound is just AWFUL. I had to go on the net and download Aaron Swindle's sound as well, just to make the sound even decent. Also, the flight dynamics were just atrocious!!! I've flown in Stearmans and grew up around them. If they handled in real life the way this model handles, I assure you there would be none left now cause they would have all crashed. And texture wise, poor poor, quaility. Am I hating on Vertigo Studios? Absolutely not! I'm just providing my feedback for what I consider to be a "pricey" payware model with freeware quality standards. For that reason I could not see myself shelling out any additonal funds for the crop dusting model. In my opinion, Vertigo Studios shold release and updated model or service pack with major sound, flight dynamics, and texture improvements or discount the model. It is by no means worth the price they're asking for it.

Regards,

Gary

Thought I might revive this topic and add some additional issues.

I purchased the Stearman two days ago.  It's a fun little aircraft to fly around my ORBX scenery.  I did notice the looping sound, but that's easy to swap out with some other Stearman sounds I have.

My issue at the moment is that the package is incomplete and the lack of support.

The initial install is missing five textures.  According to the manual, these may be found on their non-existent forum.

Here is what the manual says..

NOTE* The following paint schemes are only available via download from our forums. In order to download

you will be needing to register an account on our forums.

• Utterly Butterly

• Guinot

• Crunchie

• Red Baron

• God Bless America

Go to the forums - Download Area

The link provided goes nowhere.  I cannot understand what they did not include these textures with the original download, nor why they cannot add a link to their web page.  I have registered two support requests and sent a direct e-mail asking where I might find these missing textures, but so far I have not received any kind of response other than a computer generated message.  I have already purchased their Panther, Bearcat and Hellcat, and was thinking about getting their Avenger and the second Stearman package, but I think I will spend my money elsewhere if this is how they support their products.

--WH

WH, Dean knows that the VS forums are down, TBH they have been for a couple of weeks, the Main hosts server has been hacked and they are struggling to rebuild it.

Bruce

Bruce Martin