It now reads "Link established with FSUIPC"

It should have read error code peppy197

LOL -_-

Never mind peppy197 I've done worse. :biggrin:

Happy flying

Regards

Stephen

Edit...

Don't forget to check out SkyDemon, we may even get around to doing something similar to this ourselves, for the sim world though.

Hm, I like what I read about the weather engine: that you can see weather in the distance and that it's still there when you get there and so on. However... the rest of OpusFSX doesn't interest me at all (network views...?) and I am in doubt if 40 bucks isn't a bit much for just that weather engine...

Apart from that: I live on one side of the world but usually fly on the other side (FSX set to daytime while it may be night time over there) so when I use the OpusFSX weather engine, will I get weather that is suited for my FSX time or will it be real time weather that doesn't suite my altered sim time (night time weather while I fly in daytime)? Also: quite often I don't like current weather. I read there are themes you can load (?) but do those themes have various kinds of weather here and there or do you get old fashioned one weather types everywhere you go?

However... the rest of OpusFSX doesn't interest me at all (network views...?) and I am in doubt if 40 bucks isn't a bit much for just that weather engine...

Also: quite often I don't like current weather. I read there are themes you can load (?) but do those themes have various kinds of weather here and there or do you get old fashioned one weather types everywhere you go?

How about the dynamic head movement? It should be able to replace ECZA. I believe there is an option for 'dynamic weather' in the settings -- so this might allow the weather to change as you fly. I'm still fiddling around with it.

BTW, what settings do you all have for weather range -- within FSX, and the opus program itself?

I believe I have my FSX set at 80 km, and am wondering if this is detrimental to performance and 60 km will do.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

We recommend either 70 or 80 miles for the cloud draw distance since that will allow to to see distant weather storms and still not overburden FSX with excessive cloud drawing.

The Live Weather Engine (LWE) is the dynamic weather, the dynamic weather settings provide a few choices to set some of your own preferences for the LWE to adhere to.

The Live Camera interface will replace EZCA, and provided you have reasonable frame rates, the DHM effects are unmatched by any package. They are real, based on captured real-life accelerometer data, so you are seeing the behaviour of the real aircraft. Most effective when combined with the LWE to give ultra-realistic, intelligent turbulence effects. Both features compliment each other.

You may not think you need Live View at the moment, but that is very short sighted. In a few months time we will have finished the next version of the LWE. To use the LWE to its fullest, you can off-load it onto a client machine (e.g. a laptop). For the LWE to function remotely and perform optimally it will need and use a Live View link. So will the future Live Camera Control interface with support for video editing and allowing users to create interesting panning shots, or just control the camera's eye point live. So will the future Live Weather Assistant with its 'pseudo' weather radar. So will the soon to be release SkyDemon interface. So all three features actually compliment each other.

You will find plenty of information and pictures on our web pages and on these forums.

Regards

Stephen

Hm, I like what I read about the weather engine: that you can see weather in the distance and that it's still there when you get there and so on.

Jeroen,

I bought the software and I must say I'm impressed. I only had the time to explore some of the weather engine features. I took a few screenshots so you can see what kind of weatherscapes to expect. All shots taken in stock Prepar3D with cloud coverage density set to max and 90 miles distance. Cloud textures and skies are from Pablo Diaz's HDE V2.0 freeware addon, updated for FSX by Danny Glover (no, not the actor B) ).

The weather today above....

Heathrow

Batsfjord (Norway)

Vagar

Bergen

Innsbruck

Paris

See that overcast area in the background of the Paris shot ? Here it comes when flying towards it and no sudden cloud popups out of nowhere :

Paris2

I tried the software with TIR running thru EZCA (no problem at all) Next, I'ill see if Opus can replace EZCA as well.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Hi Jean-Paul

Your frames rates seem OK so you should see some nice DHM effects, you could also drod your cloud draw distance to 80 miles, you won't notice much difference with the LWE and your FPS might creep up a little. You will have to disable your TIR though. We have just posted a beta which includes a full TrackIR5 interface, but read our warming on our new TrackIR Interface topic page. TrackIR have not yet included OpusFSX in its supported games list and so the interface cannot be used until they do.

I really enjoyed the pics.

Regards

Stephen

Does LWE use simconnect interface in fsx to update? With AS2012 in Standard depiction mode which allows local weather similar to opus's the sky will flash everytime the wx updates making this mode useless. The reason is simconnect becomes over burdended with data. It's a known fsx bug. Curious if LWE from op's has this issue?

Eric 

Hi Stephen

Same here, more interested by a good and simple (no multiplicy of menus to endless choices) weather engine than by the other modules. What I've read so far looks promising.

Does it bring real weather outside of NA and Europe? With FSX, the "real" weather in PNG , for instance, is always CAVOK, no cloud, wind calm...So I've to manually customize it with real METAR found on the Internet. Has Opus better sources than FSX ? And what does it do for areas in the boondocks with no close METAR ? Interpolating ?

On another angle, what do you mean by Live Weather creates very realistic cloud and visibility layering. Does it build up the ground visibiity layer so that it doesnt look like a whitish pancake vibrating when it meets the terrain ? And do we get rid of these cumulus sitting alone, like xxxxx, on high elevated plateaus ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

No issues, no overburdened FSX.

Our weather update is completely unique to us and FSX is very happy with it.

Why don't you try it for yourself.

Regards

Stephen

Guess you mean that nice Mooney Acclaim :smile2: Made by Lionheart and comes for free with P3D.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Hi Stephen

Same here, more interested by a good and simple (no multiplicy of menus to endless choices) weather engine than by the other modules. What I've read so far looks promising.

Does it bring real weather outside of NA and Europe? With FSX, the "real" weather in PNG , for instance, is always CAVOK, no cloud, wind calm...So I've to manually customize it with real METAR found on the Internet. Has Opus better sources than FSX ? And what does it do for areas in the boondocks with no close METAR ? Interpolating ?

On another angle, what do you mean by Live Weather creates very realistic cloud and visibility layering. Does it build up the ground visibiity layer so that it doesnt look like a whitish pancake vibrating when it meets the terrain ? And do we get rid of these cumulus sitting alone, like xxxxx, on high elevated plateaus ?

Good question. It tries to bring the most real and up to date weather it can. If the region has few or no METAR stations then it extends the weather horizon and keeps extending it until four sources of weather are found, then it interpolates back from there. The next version will do even better than that, extending the search out to over 600 mile even when there are met stations. But the process just re-iterates so it might extend right across an ocean if it has to until a reasonable amount of weather data is available to make an interpolation.

The OpusFSX LWE uses the reported cloud layers and meteorological conditions to try and reproduce what would be a realistic collection of cloud layers. As far as the other questions are concerned, some effects are inherent within FSX, but just look at the pics yourself and decide, there are enough of them showing a variety of weather scenarios.

Just to answer a previous post ... Our original (pre LWE) static weather themes contain global weather. We will probably get rid of them in the not too distant future. The current and future LWE allows you to save any interesting weather scenarios as a user named static weather theme, so you can recall it at some later date and enjoy the experience all over again.

Regards

Stephen

I like it.

Flew 300 NM to a destination that flightaware.com said would be clear, from a start that had few clouds at 7500.

There were clouds at 7500 upon departure and it was clear skies at destination.

And to top it off, it said an airport 40 miles further away had clouds at 12000, and lo and behold there they were on the horizon, high stratus right over where they were supposed to be, and still clear at my stop. And not the whole of the horizon, only over the city that reported them, elsewhere there were none reported, and none to be seen...!

Hopefully, such realistic depictions are the norm

Is there a list of your weather themes and do they cover tropical and equatorial climates ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam