Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

OPUS Weather Engine....feedback?

Hi Eric

While you wait for your reply I would like to offer a suggestion. If you fly in windowed mode and open the OpusFSX Spy window then as the Ambient outside temperature changes it will be reported in the Spy window which will also give you the current TAT along with the altitude passing. OpusFSX monitors these and we found it helpful to display all changes in the Spy window. I think you will find they are quite consistent with real world conditions. The reported Ambient Temp is the ambient outside temperature within FSX/P3D.

Regards

Stephen

How were the outside temps while flying? Realistic drop as you climb, etc...? Consistent with real world data?

The outside temps did drop in a manner expected and realistic, but I did NOT compare them to real world data. That awaits more testing, which will include a VATSIM flight this evening KCLT-KDFW (and over the outer bands of Isaac!).

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Eric, thought you might be interested in this ...

Calling all OpusFSX users ...

Please download and try our latest OpusFSX Version 2.10.4 offering, I guarantee you won't be disappointed and the localised weather within the Dynamic Weather Theme is really starting to show its worth, especially combined with the new intelligent turbulence effects. You won't want to ever go back to the phoney global weather or METAR updates again.

Yesterday whilst flying the PMDG 737NGX I could clearly make out a line of thunderstorm and towering cumulus about 40 to 50 miles ahead. Real live weather, I know because in reality my house was underneath them. As we approached and flew through them the turbulence built up but then resided as we flew into a clearer zone. In exact agreement with the METARS. Surrounded by distant thunder storms we landed in light rain at East Midlands before the weather once again closed in. All ATIS reports matching the real world conditions exactly as expected. Now that's quite something even if I say so myself ! An impossible effect if you are using phoney global weather or relying on METAR updates within FSX/P3D.

I know if you're not a licensed user you won't be able to enjoy the Live Weather Engine, but we are trying to figure out how to include it within the 10 minute demo.

We have some fantastic enhancements coming up for the intelligent turbulence, improved ground friction effects, differentiating between different terrain types, cloud types, hilly and mountainous conditions, We are even looking into the conditions for blue-sky turbulence. All based on 'real' accelerometer data.

Keep those ideas coming.

Many Thanks and Regards

Stephen

Im discouraged from using or even trying your product because of your choice to pretty much call your competitors software crap, but you recommend using their textures because your product doesnt come with textures. Im a very happy AS 2012 user, their WX engine is just fine, and i use REX for their textures. I was tempted to look furthur into your product and see what it offered, but the stance you have taken regarding two very well established addons puts me off.

Hello Jason Howell,

This looks very strange to me. I'm not a native English person and I don't speak the langauage that well as you do, but I never saw any post of this OpusSoftware people -and there many in all related forums) calling other software crap.

You are a happy AS2012 user, so am I; their WX engine is just fine, I agree, but I find Live Weather Engine of Opus Software better.

I also use Rex Essential and I disable the weather completely, but I love and need their fantastic Cloud Texture Know-How to use with Opus Software.

I appreciate your opinion and I'm sure you will appreciate mine.

salu2

Fdovillamil / GCLP

Im discouraged from using or even trying your product because of your choice to pretty much call your competitors software crap, but you recommend using their textures because your product doesnt come with textures. Im a very happy AS 2012 user, their WX engine is just fine, and i use REX for their textures. I was tempted to look furthur into your product and see what it offered, but the stance you have taken regarding two very well established addons puts me off.

All they have done is mentioning these other software for comparison and to RECOMMEND their texture features, can you exactly link where they have actually talked negative way about their competitors?

You are completely wrong, I refer to the faulty method of updating the weather within FSX. If think REX, ActiveSky, and FEX are all excellent packages, I use them myself (not for weather) and we recommend them to all our users at every possible opportunity.

But if a package uses METAR updates then no matter what package it is it must be subject to all the inherent problems and failings within FSX. It is plain and simple, if you want to try and have localised weather then you MUST clear the sky, wiping the weather clean, then slowly load each METAR into FSX, each time a METAR loads, the screen flickers. I don't know about you but I've never noticed that whilst flying in the RW. Also because of an internal FSX problem, if you want to use true winds aloft then you MUST load GLOBAL weather. I don't know about you but I have never witnessed global weather in the RW. I also like receiving accurate ATIS reports, I want the weather reported as it is at the airfield not where I am.

We have overcome these failings by developing software to create detailed Dynamic Weather, hence we ARE able to perform instant weather updates, load detailed and localised weather, etc. etc.

We must be allowed to get our point across and highlight the benefits of using the OpusFSX Live Weather Engine how else can we do that without highlighting the MAJOR differences between our and the other forms of weather update. Once more, we think REX, ActiveSky, and FEX are FANTASTIC packages. But we also KNOW our Live Weather Engine is leaps and bounds better. Why shout us down? We have invested a large sum of money to develop a product to bring a new and improved weather engine and unique method of weather updating - to set NEW standards within the industry and squeeze every ounce of realism out of FSX.

Regards

Stephen

The outside temps did drop in a manner expected and realistic, but I did NOT compare them to real world data. That awaits more testing, which will include a VATSIM flight this evening KCLT-KDFW (and over the outer bands of Isaac!).

Hi RudiJG1

I was just out there this afternoon; Here are some pictures to get an idea:

salu2

Fdovillamil / GCLP

Stephen,

How many layers of clouds does your program allow? I know in AS2012 you can select up to 20? As well, how high up does the CB's show with OPUS? I know in the summer time you can see them upwards of 40k+

Eric 

Hi Ken

I'm not sure if 65536 is the limit, the truth is there is no limit because we interpret the real world live weather from the METARs. So I suppose the answer is no limit, there will be up to N + 3 cloud layers. N is the number of cloud layers explicitly reported in the METAR, the plus 3 is the worst case and allows for one thin layer of stratus topping a fog or misty area (configurable option), one stratus cloud layer (a configurable option), and one thunderstorm cloud if none of the reported cloud layers are suitable to depict a thunderstorm and the METAR has reported TS in its conditions.

I think they go up to about 8,500 to 10,000 metres depending on the cloud top (anvil or rounded) not sure, but I will check. If they are not high enough for you then I will be glad to make them as high as you wish, you can have the upgrade within the same day. But I'm not sure if FSX and the cloud textures can depict such towering clouds. If they can then whoopee ... I will randomly set them to anything between 25 and 40 thousand feet.

You've given me another list item now, I will have to check using the METAR import file option, to see how large I can set a thunderstorm cloud and have FSX depict it correctly.

Regards

Stephen

Hi RudiJG1

I was just out there this afternoon; Here are some pictures to get an idea:

salu2

Fdovillamil / GCLP

Nice pics!

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

WOW Joop,

Looking at those pics I am definitely going to see how tall I can make those storm clouds.

Regards

Stephen

well...just release a weather demo, that would make it easy to decide :-) I would love to try these feature.

well...just release a weather demo, that would make it easy to decide :-) I would love to try these feature.

Flight1 wrapper = refund within 30 days if unsatisfied.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Unfortunately, a safe demo mode for the Live Weather Engine that cannot be abused is a difficult thing to achieve. We are still considering the options but are busy preparing beta version 2.11.1 at the moment, working to include a few things users have requested. We will try and come up with something soon, probably a demo weather theme including stormy weather.

Regards

Stephen

Flight1 wrapper = refund within 30 days if unsatisfied.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks RudiJG1

I'll have to check out Tapatalk HD.

Regards

Stephen

BTW, the weather is still loaded so it's not a texture or clouds issue, the issue seems to be while OpusFSX is running.

I have the HIGHMEMFIX tweak in my FSX.cfg and I have lowered my frames to locked at 25, and it seems as if the stutters have gone, maybe it was my frames being locked at 40 causing the issue. However, the visibility has now changed to 10 and there is no rain, so I'm going to find another airport with low vis and rain just to make sure.

I wish to discredit this product by saying that asking people to set 25fps is a disgrace. This actually doesn't "cure" any stutters it only masks the problem to a point. I know because when I used to get those stutters this used to be my solution too but since 25 fps isn't very nice to look at and only masks it by creating a slideshow, I think this is disgusting. Especially given that his system was otherwise perfectly capable. I will not be partaking of this grape as it appears to be putrid. Not yet anyhow, maybe it will get better?

Also, I may as well ask, is it possible to set a maximum visibility at upper altitudes? This is something AS2012 does verywell and it makes airliner cruising far more realistic.