Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Papi lights are too big

Good evening, Gents!

I recently upgraded my gfx card to a gtx 690 in nvidia surround (3x24"). Its starting to work out great (had some problems with the pmdg 747 & md11, and FSL Concordex, but they are solved now except for the concorde).

I now turn my attention to the papi lights, which I find WAY too big. I havent gotten around to taking a screen shot yet, but they are so big they obscure the entire runway during daylight hours. Its not really that they are too bright, but, as I say, they are too big.

Other lights seem to be ok, so its just these papi lights. Do anyone know of a fix for this?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have REX E installed running through AS2012.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Don't know about REX, but PAPI lights can be adjusted in the fsx.cfg file.

[Display]

//RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.5

//RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.5

//RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.7

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.6

Bert

Yes and out is far more realistic once you do so.I think I went smaller than .5 in the end, but I can't recall exactly what I used.

I might be able to help. I have a Triplehead2Go digital setup with 3 monitors, and the lights go way out of scale until you change them.

Here's what I do, and hopefully you will achieve the same results:

1. If you own UTX, set the size of the lights in the UTX frontend to 25% brightness.

2. Download and install the file "th2go_new_lights" from the Avsim file library

3. Add the following settings under the [DISPLAY] heading of your FSX.cfg file:

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.8

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.3

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.8

Here's what my lights look like now (sorry the runways aren't closer in the picture):

fsx2012-07-0605-55-29-16-1.jpg

Obviously you can adjust the settings as you see fit, but I'm quite happy with what I have at the moment.

Good luck,

GG

• Upvote 1

I use this settings for realism:

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.7

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.5

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.8

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.4

Is there a real world pilot who can say what settings are the most realistic ?

I think there are at least two factors defining the lights for you. One is the setting in the fsx.cfg, like the guys have shown with their examples. And another one is the halo.bmp. You can alter the latter with REX-E, Sun and Lighting tab and then Runway Lights. You will see examples of the different effects in the preview.

Speaking about two factors, keep in mind that they affect each other. So you may pick huge REX-E lights and small fsx.cfg settings and gain the midpoint, so to speak. Imagine all other possible combos.

You may also search the forums or the library for different versions of that halo.bmp file. It may take a little trial and error to find your personal setup.

The file that I recommended has deliberately been reduced in size for those with triple monitor setups, since (at least with the TH2Go) the halo.bmp tends to look quite enlarged which makes the runways resemble a 500-gigawatt lamp festival.

Alternately, ORBX offers a lighting utility that allows you to select among several different sizes and shapes, but I forget which product(s) it is bundled with.

Ultimately my favorite solution was the one I outlined above. I'm a real world pilot and though relatively inexperienced next to some others around here, it looks convincing enough for me.

Find what works for you and let us know what is your preferred "recipe"!

Does the halo.bmp file also define the size of AI aircraft landing lights?

With my NV surround they are also huge.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Yes, it does. That's why the file that I use from Avsim, and others like the one NickN posted on the Flight1 forums work especially well for triple monitor setups, because the size of the actual "light points" has been reduced.

Took me quite awhile before I settled on what I liked. Luckily it's not difficult or tedious to try out the various options, just a quick file swap or changing lines in the FSX.cfg.

In the end you just have to try a few different ones and decide what looks best for you.

Yes, it does. That's why the file that I use from Avsim, and others like the one NickN posted on the Flight1 forums work especially well for triple monitor setups, because the size of the actual "light points" has been reduced.

Took me quite awhile before I settled on what I liked. Luckily it's not difficult or tedious to try out the various options, just a quick file swap or changing lines in the FSX.cfg.

In the end you just have to try a few different ones and decide what looks best for you.

Great, thanks for that,

gb.

PS. Anyone searching for "th2go_new_lights" in the AVSim file library: looks like you have to search for "th2go new lights"

to get a result.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Sorry for necroing, but I have a new question thats so similar to the OP that I decided to post in this thread:

The street lights are also really big with my surround setup, and Ive been looking around in Ultimate Terraine X - Europe to see if I can scale the lights down a bit. Unfortunately I didnt find anything obvious.

Do anyone know if its possible to scale the night lighting of street lights in UTXE down a bit?

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Sorry for necroing, but I have a new question thats so similar to the OP that I decided to post in this thread:

The street lights are also really big with my surround setup, and Ive been looking around in Ultimate Terraine X - Europe to see if I can scale the lights down a bit. Unfortunately I didnt find anything obvious.

Do anyone know if its possible to scale the night lighting of street lights in UTXE down a bit?

http://www.simforums.com/Forums/answered-adjusting-lighting-effects-utx-europe_topic42795.html?KW=europe+lights

Just to add a point about halo.bmp.

several software try to replace the halo.bmp texture file so you can loose again the reduced file size after installation if you install one of those.

Utx has its own halo.bmp and rename the existing with a bak etension if i remember well.

Rex has a choice of 8 halo.bmp replacement texture that you can select in their interface. The last one is smaller in size but not as small as tweaked halo.bmp from nicks.

3D redux also replace the existing halo.bmp and backup the existing one somewhere in a directory called backup.

Pierre

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...