Sign in to follow this  
Wendall

One last Legacy topic...

Hey guys,

Due to lack of something (funding, interest, maybe even my mindBig%20Grin.gif ) I didn't think about buying the RealAir Legacy until sometime last weekend. We've already heard the general consensus, and mine is nothing different, I just feel "there" while flying this thing. Just one question...

Where in the world is the elevator trim control? I can see the indicator clear as day, but no control is found...

Also, has anyone found any noticeable differences in P-factor and Torque between the RealAir settings(half) and full right slider

No problem with praising a nice plane. :smile:

I'm flying her with all sliders at full. That's just from being too lazy to adjust the stuff for the one plane and back for the other one. No downsides so far, but I'm low on flying time. Shame on me.

As for the trim. Good question. The real plane may have that on the stick, but I didn't see it working in the VC so far. I have the trim mapped to my hardware. I guess the default FSX key commands will do it either way.

As for the trim. Good question. The real plane may have that on the stick, but I didn't see it working in the VC so far. I have the trim mapped to my hardware. I guess the default FSX key commands will do it either way.

OK thanks for clearing that up CoolP, I thought I was going crazy, since there was no mention of a lack of a elevator trim in the Flying Guide.

Doesn't take away from the great experience in this plane!

I too bought the Legacy late (a week ago about). It really does provide that sense of just being there, something that you don't find too often. I used to just jet around the skies in the NGX since it provided that feel too, but since getting the Lancair, I haven't touched the 737. To further the experience, I bought the RXP GNS 530 as well. It complements the Legacy really well. After getting a few flights under my belt, I logged into VATSIM and flew the Fisk Arrival into Oshkosh during the week-long currently-running VatVenture event. It was one of those flights that reminds me why we fly the sim. It is now my favorite aircraft.

About the elevator trim, I'm almost positive that it is controlled via buttons on the joystick. I have it mapped through FSUIPC and it works great. I keep the realism setting as they are suggested in the manual and find that it flies really, really well.

OK thanks for clearing that up CoolP, I thought I was going crazy, since there was no mention of a lack of a elevator trim in the Flying Guide.

Doesn't take away from the great experience in this plane!

Ya it's on the stick in the real one...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I too bought the Legacy late (a week ago about). It really does provide that sense of just being there, something that you don't find too often. I used to just jet around the skies in the NGX since it provided that feel too, but since getting the Lancair, I haven't touched the 737.

me neither, even though I've owned the Legacy for a fraction of the time I've owned the NGX. I'm sure I'll get back to it sometime...that and the A2A Mustang, and the C337, and the Duke and the...you get my point

RealAir made the decision not to design a panel or console mounted elevator trim wheel, lever, or button thinking that practically everyone already has something to use for a trim wheel or button. This could be your keyboard, joystick, yoke or whatever. Because it is not practical to place active switches on the stick in the VC for a single engine plane such as this one, the assumption is you will either use the mapped keyboard keys for elevator trim or something like the addon Saitek Switch Panel, Cessna Trim wheel, most any joystick or yoke will have available buttons for up and down trim.

You can, of course, monitor or check the elevator trim settings on the panel mounted indicator on the far left of the panel near the AoA and airspeed gauge. Just hover the mouse pointer over the gauge.

Enjoy,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I find that it's much easier to track the runway centerline during takeoff roll with the Realair recommended realism settings, but I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing, lol. I prefer to have as much of a challenge as possible, so I hope the Realair endorsed slider settings don't actually dumb things down for the sake of accomodating inexperienced simmer pilots. I leave the P-factor slider all the way to the right though as Realair has suggested here on the forum this is in fact more realistic.

Using every realism sliders setting all the way to the right does seem to make the rudder a little overly sensitive on takeoff though, requiring a little dancing on the pedals left and right to keep it on centerline. The Realair Turbine Duke behaves exactly the same way on takeoff without the Realair recommended realsim settings - requires some rudder pedal dancing to stay on centerline during takeoff. The Turbine Duke also becomes much easier to keep on centerline during takeoff with Realair's recommended settings by contrast.

I really don't notice any differences between full right realism settings vs the Realair recommended ones in flight, however. I'm sure there are some subtle differences between the settings, but to me nothing is particularly noticable. It would be interesting to get some feedback from some of the real pilots here as to which settings are overall more realistic though. I demand realism over easiness when I have a choice. :)

I can't agree RealAir more on this. As a PC sim, in FSX we have much less feed back than in real planes. So it is a trade off and balance.

If planes in FSX are designed to be behave exactly the same way as real ones, they will be much more difficult to fly. Lacking the force feed back from the stick and rudder, the G force on your body, we as sim pilots depend very heavily on what we see and hear. The result will be slow response to the control and overcontrol tendency. Guys in RealAir are well aware of this and I think Rob has mentioned more than once here they want to make their planes "as real as possible" from a sim's view point. And I think that is why we feel their planes to be right and comfortable.

What is more, they've made their best to overcome the lack of feed back by putting lots of graphics and sound effect to the Lagacy such as stall bufflet, slip sound etc. I like the slip sound best since it is hard and no realistic to make turns by staring the turn coordinator.

Didn't want to start a seperate topic about it so I picked the latest one to use. :wink: I don't seem to be able to find any posts about performance (fps and so on, not the plane's speed :wink: ). Is it heavy, normal, light? Comparable to perhaps the Bay Tower RV-7A? I did read the review but it didn't say too much about it, apart from "30 should be achievable" and that the manual has "specific recommendations for scenery, traffic and weather"... but I wonder if they are the same as the settings I like to use. :wink:

Secondly: I know it's fast but can you also fly a bit slow with it, through the valleys and stuff like that, without feeling you are sitting on a rocket? I'd like a COMPLETE plane, but I am used to planes that are a little bit slower and I'd also like to use it for sightseeing instead for only getting somewhere ASAP! :wink:

Hello

Probably the best GA aircraft available, no issues here with fps.

You will love it, and you can fly it slowly if that's what you want, a must buy in my opinion.

Thanks for the quick reply! I know what I'll be doing tomorrow... :wink:

Didn't want to start a seperate topic about it so I picked the latest one to use. :wink: I don't seem to be able to find any posts about performance (fps and so on, not the plane's speed :wink: ). Is it heavy, normal, light? Comparable to perhaps the Bay Tower RV-7A? I did read the review but it didn't say too much about it, apart from "30 should be achievable" and that the manual has "specific recommendations for scenery, traffic and weather"... but I wonder if they are the same as the settings I like to use. :wink:

Secondly: I know it's fast but can you also fly a bit slow with it, through the valleys and stuff like that, without feeling you are sitting on a rocket? I'd like a COMPLETE plane, but I am used to planes that are a little bit slower and I'd also like to use it for sightseeing instead for only getting somewhere ASAP! :wink:

I recommend you download and read the free manual - Flying Guide - for the Legacy. This will give you a good feel for the recommended settings that you can compare to your own. I don't see any hit on FPS with the legacy compared to all the ones I fly, that is why I said 30 FPS should be achievable. Given your choice, probably normal, certainly not heavy, would be my pick. I did both reviews and I think they have a lot in common. Biggest difference is the Legacy gear comes up, has spoilers, and is a whole lot faster, and it doesn't have a teen queen flying it. They are both great add ons but quite different. The other things to consider is the Legacy is a notch or two above the VANS in the realism - watch that little video linked in the review to get a feel for some of the sounds and motions.

This may be the most 'complete' plane in the whole inventory of available addons, bar none. and, yep, it is both slow and fast. You can drag along the valley floor and then go balls to the wall to get over the hills and deploy the spoilers and back down along the ground and do it all over again. Visibility is excellent.

I don't think you can go wrong with adding the Legacy to the RV-7 hangar. One local, one cross country and acrobatics. They both have VOR, maybe two.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

J Van E buy it. It's the best GA for FSX period..

You can fly fast if you want or you can drop some flaps and coast around at 110 comfortably checking out the scenery. The only thing you will need to get used to compared to most GA aircraft (I stress most) is speed management. It's a VERY slick aircraft and a lot of times just reducing the throttle is not going to be enough to reach safe speeds to deploy your gear and flaps. That's why it has speed brakes. :) It's easily the most complete GA experience for FSX. It even has a owners club on Avsim because it's just THAT popular of an aircraft and be sure to download Ron Attwood's incredible repaints he's pumping out for it.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors