Sign in to follow this  

ENB for Flight

Some of you may know the free ENB 'addon' for (amongst others) FSX. In FSX this addon will give you control over things like contrast, bloom and color. It can make dark things darker and light things lighter and depending on where you look (how much dark or light things are on screen), the effect changes 'on the fly'. It can also give you more bloom and more saturation.

ALL these effects can be tailored to your taste by simply editing an .ini. So if you want to you can only make the night darker (and you decide how much darker) or only make the day darker (and you decide how much darker), you canmake colors more saturated or less saturated, you can add a tiny bit of bloom or so much bloom that you'll need sunglasses to fly. :wink:

I didn't know any better then that this addon didn't work with Flight. However, in another topic OmarNg7X posted that he discovered that the ENB addon DOES work with Flight but you have to alt-tab out of Flight and back again to enable it! Simple as that! So all hail to OmarNg7X for opening the possibilities of the ENB addon for Flight for us all! im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

1. You can download the addon here: http://speedskater.r...ie_for_MSFS.rar

2. Unrar the included .dll and .ini into the main Microsoft Flight folder.

3. Start MS Flight, alt-tab out of it and back again. In the top left corner of the screen you should see a temporary message about GTA San Andreas: that's the game this addon was created for originally!

4. You can toggle the effect on and off with Shift-F12 at any time.

Because the default settings in the .ini are a bit too much (imho) I would advice to play with the following settings. You can edit the ini with Notepad. You can edit the settings on the fly: alt-tab to the .ini, change a setting, save the file, alt-tab back to Flight and the effect will be applied immediately.

BloomMaxLimit=50 (default 100: takes care of the amount of bloom)

DarkeningAmountDay=10 (default 40: takes care of how much darker things become at day)

DarkeningAmountNight=25 (default -30: takes care of how much darker things become at night)

ColorSaturationDay=1 (default 0: takes care of the colorsaturation)

In fact, these are probably all the settings you need to play with! A lot of the settings, probably most (!) should be left alone because they won't work with Flight at all and may degrade performance! And you can choose which settings you wish to change: if you think the days are fine as they are by default, set DarkeningAmountDay to zero. The same goes for the other options. The choice is up to you!

Mind you: not everyone likes the effect. Depending on some settings you may loose a little sharpness or sometimes things will get too dark or you'll lose details (like on white wings). But it's free and to uninstall the addon, you only have to remove the .dll and .ini from the Flight folder!

Here are some animated gifs showing the above (subtle) settings. (Since Flight can't really Pause, the view shifts a little...). I'll post them as links because they are rather large.

http://www.fsfiles.o.../1343241951.gif

http://www.fsfiles.o.../1343156750.gif

http://www.fsfiles.o.../1343189376.gif

http://www.fsfiles.o.../1343155173.gif

And here is an over the top example (sunglasses) which shows everything is possible. :wink:

http://www.fsfiles.o.../1343178151.gif

Gheez! Thanks for the mention :biggrin: I found this thread which includes a 24 Hour Enb. What I found most interesting is this:

"The midtones are a little bit brighter, and the highlights are significantly brighter. Overall this makes the runway lights stand out more."

It seems to be a very successful ENB for FSX. I'll try it with flight and see how it looks. You can download it here:

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15329-24-hour-enb-download-included/

Gheez! Thanks for the mention :biggrin:

Credit where credits are due! :wink:

It seems to be a very successful ENB for FSX. I'll try it with flight and see how it looks. You can download it here:

http://www.realenvir...nload-included/

Interesting one! Beware though that that one uses a palette (an included bmp file that's not available in the link I posted) and it changes the default colors considerably!!!

Hold up guys...I've followed your previous thread, albeit not too closely. I agree with Omar's sentiment that the levels are perfect for me, except for night time.

By manipulating only the DarkeningAmountNight parameter, can I affect night's darkness without affecting anything else?

By manipulating only the DarkeningAmountNight parameter, can I affect night's darkness without affecting anything else?

Yes, that should be possible, but you also have to set the other options I mentioned to zero to eliminate that specific effect! I never tried this so maybe there are even more settings you should 'turn off' this way. And I guess that the darkening options also have an effect on other times of the day: obviously the addon doesn't know when it is night or day: I suppose the night option is meant for when there is a lot of black onscreen... I think that the ENB addon will be used most for nights indeed.

Luckily you can change settings on the fly so a simple press of Shift-F12 should make clear if an effect is still being applied or not.

Luckily you can change settings on the fly so a simple press of Shift-F12 should make clear if an effect is still being applied or not.

Absolutely...I'll have to do this when I get home from work. Clearly the F12 toggle should answer these questions right away.

This is excellent. Thanks.

Everything seems more 'real' somehow with the darks actually being dark. When you press shift-F12 to turn it off everything seems pale and washed out.

I love it during the dawn period - luverley jubberley.

BR

Blackrat

I found this thread which includes a 24 Hour Enb. What I found most interesting is this:

"The midtones are a little bit brighter, and the highlights are significantly brighter. Overall this makes the runway lights stand out more."

http://www.realenvir...nload-included/

I tried the settings mentioned above and did not like the results. Bloom is to high, colors look strange in the menus and night even more awful than before. I'll continue with Jeroen's ENB.

I LOVE IT

Just been flying around Alaska in stormy weather....at night.....feels so much more immersive now. Was really grateful to reach an airport.

This is more like how night should look. The other changes are ok too...I just followed the instructions to the letter.

When you press shift-F12 to turn it off everything seems pale and washed out.

Indeed! Even though I am using subtle effects, the difference is clear.

ENB is like a real time Photoshop effect. Instead of enhancing a single screenshot the entire game is enhanced. :wink:

I might keep on using it anyway (I was in doubt first). It's odd: I wanted to use it only if I could actually notice the effect constantly: if I fly and can hardly notice the difference it isn't worth it, so I thought. But the funny thing is that when you fly for a while with ENB you tend to think 'Is it actually turned on....?" because the difference is subtle and you get used to it: but when you press Shift-F12 to check it and suddenly see Flight default you think 'O, yes, it was on!!!' The difference is subtle yet huge somehow. :wink: