Sign in to follow this  
jb17011

The End of Flight?

... and I believe some of the recently finished content will still go out the door. "

That's what I've been curious about; whether work already done on existing planes will be released.

Yeah, feeling a bit lost here... with my Saitek Combat Rudder pedals

You and a few others, Jeroen..To think of all the "retired" FS'ers who fired back up, went out and bought TrackIR, yoke, pedals et al..

I feel for you, seriously..What we do may be a game, but for many (most?) it is way more than that as well; it is a lifetime addiction; whether you fly for real or for fun in a sim, or both. The people who stick at it are the people who already found "the Joy of Flight"..Again, it's ironic, and in hindsight, a little cruel..

Well, I've lost count of the number of "new" people who picked up FSX while waiting for DLC or because they got the bug with FLIGHT and didn't like it/couldn't wait/look past its flaws and are now using a six-year old product,

So, a lot of new blood has been brought into the community..I wouldn't think you'll have much difficulty getting rid of your pedals..Just saw a set go for £62 on the Bay of e.

I wasn't being flippant about the dev team, either; I really do hope they don't lose their jobs, and I really do think they did a great job with what they were allowed to do with FLIGHT..Well done, ACES 2.0 or whatever you were called..You rocked my world for a while, and in addition, got me flying places in FSX I'd never flown - bet you weren't expecting THAT, now were you? :smile:

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Yeah, feeling a bit lost here... with my Saitek Combat Rudder pedals.

It is a bit sad - I agree (just bought the Cub yesterday..)

On the one hand, I hope MS will still release a functional autopilot for the Maule,

but in the meantime, I've got FSX running really well right now, and with the Baytower RV7 and the

RealAir Legacy, my Saitek Combat Rudder pedals are getting a good workout

:P

Bert

What got me about this whole community reaction was that If people are still happy with FSX, then why the excitement about Aerofly?

Hello

There was little excitement about Aerofly past the first week of its release, once it was realised that it was another limited product, more limited in fact than Flight!

What the community wanted was a successor to FSX.

JH in his interview soon put a stop to those hopes and the majority of the community walked away then.

Sad, but not surprising. I hope those involved writing this software will consider keeping their skills within the hobby, perhaps in the employ of a company whose management knows the market.

Although we're in for short-term pain, Microsoft's exit will ultimately help the hobby (within five years is my guess) including those interested in what Flight had to offer.

Hello

There was little excitement about Aerofly past the first week of its release, once it was realised that it was another limited product, more limited in fact than Flight!

What the community wanted was a successor to FSX.

JH in his interview soon put a stop to those hopes and the majority of the community walked away then.

That's an interesting interpretation. More interesting is the unqualified blanket statements. Are you sure the whole community saw it that way?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I think the flight sim community was angry over MS dropping FS development, and took it out on Flight.

Or perhaps some of us just didn't find it met our needs.

Look, I've not been one of the complainers (at ALL!) about Flight, but it didn't meet my needs or desires, so I quietly opted to continue on another platform and occasionally stopped by here to keep an eye on developments to see if Flight was moving any closer to what I wanted. Simple as that. Not "angry" with MS, not taking anything out on anybody, just didn't feel like I was the target market for this product, so I chose not to spend more money on it.

Scott

That's what I've been curious about; whether work already done on existing planes will be released.

I would go "Arrrrgggggggggggg!!!!" Like a cartoon character if it turns out the next DLC would have been a helicopter or a Cessna or something outrageously wonderful. As it was, I felt personally that flight was just beginning to turn the corner on perceptions and think about finding its stride when the rug was pulled right from under it.

Up until the release of the Cub, even Facebook had calmed noticeably, I thought, and there was some nice pushback against people apparently visiting just to fling poo.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I felt personally that flight was just beginning to turn the corner on perceptions and think about finding its stride when the rug was pulled right from under it.

I agree with this analysis. The kid had promise..he coulda been a contender..

As for the "already written" DLC release thing..That is perhaps the cruellest irony of all, imo..The product is Officially Dead, and they are talking like some greedy relatives about to sell off the family heirlooms that've been gathering dust in the attic, waiting for Grandmother to finally pop her clogs..

MS, please..For all of those people who have invested both time and money in FLIGHT, and, despite the slings and arrows thrown at them by some, have supported your product, vocally, again and again; for pete's sake, G I V E I T A W A Y F O R F R E E ! ! (at least to existing paying customers)

Or, alternatively, and as is your right as a corporation, answerable only to your shareholders, not we, the paying dweebs, try to milk the last drops from it's still warm, dead hands..

Over to you, Steve...

EDIT: I know there hasn't been an official statement regarding the release of any more DLC, but the fact that there is some hiding away somewhere prompts one to think they may still try to earn from it; especially with respect to their shrinking pile of do$h

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Or perhaps some of us just didn't find it met our needs.

Look, I've not been one of the complainers (at ALL!) about Flight, but it didn't meet my needs or desires, so I quietly opted to continue on another platform and occasionally stopped by here to keep an eye on developments to see if Flight was moving any closer to what I wanted. Simple as that. Not "angry" with MS, not taking anything out on anybody, just didn't feel like I was the target market for this product, so I chose not to spend more money on it.

Scott

QFT.

The stereotype of simulation fans is they have no life, are "nerds" -- physically and mentally -- They reek of elitism since their GAME is more complex than the average game, etc.

All of these perceptions are false and are perpetrated by a vocal minority who fit that stereotype because they are the ones who often "shout" the loudest via the internet and other mass media. That doesn't mean everybody who is into simulations is like that, however.

Just like Tttocs, I did not find "Flight" met my needs as an ADVANCED flight simmer.

That doesn't mean it is a bad game, or that I hate MS. It just means it did not offer anything I was interested in, therefore, I did not invest my time with "Flight" like with FSX, and other simulators.

Just to add my 2 cents and the "I told them so" during the beta..flight had nowhere to go in the format they were oferring it...would really have been better to work on FS11 or whatever.....

My needs are simple; I like to fly.

That's it! (I'm a cheap date)

But seriously, I think MS had the right idea with the concept of FLIGHT..The trying to draw in those who aren't in the camp that need more complex flying games, and who also didn't really want to fly round shooting people crowd (why the crappy warbirds, guys?)

But where they went wrong was with the execution..At so many points, and at so many levels it does no good to go over them all again now..It's over. It's a dead game. It is no more. It's an ex-game.

For what it offered, to those who wanted it, FLIGHT was a good start (start?!) at a more accessible flying sim..it got my 10-year old boy hooked, and he now wants FSX - oh, the irony :smile:

I think a far more productive way forward now would be to see what MS intends to do with the code and SDK..

In an alternate quantum universe, we, the Flight Simming community, would properly petition MS to allow that to be sold, bought, traded or given away so that something good can come of it..Imagine if an organised, coherent movement could be started..You could get lots of signatures on a petition, for a start..

yes, I know it's a commercial product and MS valuable IP, and they eat babies etc etc, I know all of that, but...Imagine....

Oh, and just a thought: all you FSX/FS9 addon makers/vendors: you might want to consider having a short sale; like the one you had just before FLIGHT was released...Methinks you might sell some stuff :wink:

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Well...

Flight cost me a lot of money on DLCs (the lot) and more on TrackIR 5 (I never wanted it for FSX) but the decision to give up the ghost on Flight came just before splashing out £200 on yolk and pedals.

Thanks to the team for all the hard work on Flight but can we now have the name and address of the individual who's decision it was. (Just to send him a sympathy card you understand...).

Blackrat

Are you sure the whole community saw it that way?

Hello

What other reason could there be for Flight! not being a success, If the community had really liked the product, chances are it would have survived.

Most days there were only a few folks in this forum, other sites around the web had even less traffic and a month after release on steam it had departed the top 100 games.

It all points to it being generally not liked by the Simming community and was certainly not helped by the lack of communication and marketing from MS, the warbirds did nothing to help matters either.

Flight cost me a lot of money on DLCs (the lot) and more on TrackIR 5 (I never wanted it for FSX) but the decision to give up the ghost on Flight came just before splashing out £200 on yolk and pedals.

Hello

They will work great on FSX, come on over you will enjoy it.

PS, Don't forget your wallet though.

If the community had really liked the product, chances are it would have survived.

Or, if MS had made it more attractive to the community from the get-go, instead of this weird, hybrid, yet still approachable thing..neither one thing nor the other..And awfully marketed..

I s'pose, in hindsight, the naysayers were right; it was doomed from that first interview..

Everyone can go home now :smile: Move along; nothing to see here...

PS, Don't forget your wallet though.

:rofl: and your social life spent getting it juuust right :Big Grin:

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg