•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo

Windows 8 and FSX

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Cap

Ben Cap

Member - 4,000+

• Members
  • 4,513 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 11 Months and 1 Day

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

Hi everyone,

I am just dropping in to report on my findings with FSX running in the Windows 8 environment. I decided to take the initiative and spend most of my day installing Windows 8 and getting FSX setup in this new OS.

Overall, FSX seems to behave similarly and doesn't have any issues cooperating in the new Metro environment. One thing that I also immediately noticed was that FSX starts much more quickly than it did in the Windows 7 environment. Keep in mind that I do have almost all of my regular addons installed at this point.

Also, when moving from windowed mode to full-screen, FSX seems to be more responsive in this regard. The sim also seems to be a bit less choppy and seems to be more smooth as a whole.

One thing that instantly caught my attention were the warning dialogs that appear when you install an addon that makes an entry in the DLL.XML or the EXE.XML. The warning dialog fades in and out much more methodically. These little things are improvements in the OS that make it a much more enjoyable experience.

If you would like me to test something in regard to FSX in Win8, just drop a reply below. :smile:

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 fsxkitty

fsxkitty

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 5 Months and 12 Days Ago.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

I use FSX on Windows 8 too.

My problem is that whenever I try and load a flight in my 737 NGX, the game just crashes. It could be that the installation of the NGX is corrupt but I don't think it is.

#3 Ben Cap

Ben Cap

Member - 4,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

I use FSX on Windows 8 too.

My problem is that whenever I try and load a flight in my 737 NGX, the game just crashes. It could be that the installation of the NGX is corrupt but I don't think it is.

Have you done a completely fresh install of Windows 8 AND a fresh install of FSX?

#4 fsxkitty

fsxkitty

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 5 Months and 12 Days Ago.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Have you done a completely fresh install of Windows 8 AND a fresh install of FSX?

It's as fresh install of Windows 8 and FSX but I've copied over my add-on scenery, simobjects, guages, sound and effects folders from my old PC.

#5 Ben Cap

Ben Cap

Member - 4,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

It's as fresh install of Windows 8 and FSX but I've copied over my add-on scenery, simobjects, guages, sound and effects folders from my old PC.

That is likely your issue. Whenever running a fresh OS, I strongly recommend a fresh install of FSX too.

#6 Luiz Machado

Luiz Machado

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 9 Months and 10 Days Ago.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

nice tip, Ben!

Luiz H M Machado
CEO www.tamvirtual.com.br TAM3104 - VPA234 - BAW563 - GLO022
IVAO166553 VATSIM 880797
blueaerosofta320extcomm.pngBoeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

#7 Fox-Bat

Fox-Bat

• Members
  • 227 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 6 Months and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

Thanks Ben - I have been looking for feedback if Win 8 has any issues with FSX. Cheers.

#8 Cloudkid

Cloudkid

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Joined 2 Years and 30 Days Ago.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:05 AM

Keep me update if you have any issue with W8, I might install it soon (even if now I use only P3D).

Thanks Ben for sharing your impression!

#9 bobbyjoh

bobbyjoh

Bald Eagle

• Members
  • 1,157 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 12 Days Ago.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

Is it possible to just do an upgrade to W8 without doing a re install of FSX? That would mean a week of work for me (yuck)

#10 RWFeldman

RWFeldman

Member - 2,000+

• Banned
  • 2,470 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 2 Months and 18 Days Ago.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Do you suppose the registry has the correct entry by just copying over and doing a new install of OS? It wiped it clean. reinstall your NGX and you'll be fine.

Rendi

KAB200_sig4.jpg

Rendi

#11 Ben Cap

Ben Cap

Member - 4,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

Is it possible to just do an upgrade to W8 without doing a re install of FSX? That would mean a week of work for me (yuck)

I attempted this and it worked..... sorta. The main issue I had was that all of my addon DLLs didn't seem to work.

For Example: If I loaded the NGX up, the gauges would not show and the plane was INOP. But after the clean FSX install, all of my issues resolved.

#12 bobbyjoh

bobbyjoh

Bald Eagle

• Members
  • 1,157 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 12 Days Ago.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hopefully MS will provide a clean migration path to W8. Following the old adage, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. My current FSX installation is running just fine.

Bob

#13 SolRayz

SolRayz

• Donor
  • 906 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 5 Months and 2 Days Ago.

Donator

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Agreed Bob, the prospect of reinstalling everything at this point just scares the bejesus out of me. Will wait for major hardware upgrade down the road for before Win8 for me.

69eddc09-d001-4bec-ad03-cbd8eb1a9ba1_zps

Marc J. 

#14 Lerimer

Lerimer

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 4 Months and 30 Days Ago.

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

I have a problem with FSX!!! I fly online using SB4 and every time I connect to SB4 FSX crashes. Now, I know that if you run FSX in ADMIN mode that will not happen... but I cant get FSX to run in ADMIN mode. Every time I try it will freeze up the whole system.

UAL705.pngBoeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

#15 RWFeldman

RWFeldman

Member - 2,000+

• Banned
  • 2,470 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 2 Months and 18 Days Ago.

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

I have a problem with FSX!!! I fly online using SB4 and every time I connect to SB4 FSX crashes. Now, I know that if you run FSX in ADMIN mode that will not happen... but I cant get FSX to run in ADMIN mode. Every time I try it will freeze up the whole system.

And this is related to Windows 8?

Rendi

KAB200_sig4.jpg

Rendi