Sign in to follow this  
Ben Cap

Windows 8 and FSX

Well, I didn't have any problems on win7. The problem started after the update to win8. I did do a clean install of win8 and fsx...

My Problem is that I can't use it in full screen mode becuase i have 2 screens and the way windows 8 manages screens now disallows it. I mean its halfway between two of the screens at a small resolution.

Hi

This is good to know. I have Two Questions please

1. Did you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 8 then reinastall the addons or just upgraded Windows while the addons are preinstalled in Windows 7

Because this is what I did going from Vista to Windows 7 64bit. I upgraded with all the Addons prexisting in Vista and I had no problems.

2. Do the Addons include LDS767, NGX737 and Active Sky Evolution (ASE)?

Thanks

Bill

C:|mydocuments\mypictures\my signature.htm

I have a problem with FSX!!! I fly online using SB4 and every time I connect to SB4 FSX crashes. Now, I know that if you run FSX in ADMIN mode that will not happen... but I cant get FSX to run in ADMIN mode. Every time I try it will freeze up the whole system.

You need to run squawkbox externally from the sim.

vatsim s3

1133704.png

I've been testing in Windows 8 now for several months.. I'm mid-way on a complete reinstall of FSX (this time to its own partition/drive).

Everything works pretty well, except for one issue, which may be a large issue in itself, but doesn't affect my ability to keep moving forward.

I have a wide variety of things installed ranging from Orbx PNW, to OZx and Ftx au portions, some airports etc, addons and planes, no real issues with the fsx addons.

My issue is with the 12.8 ati video driver, which i tested this situation on a clean install.

With the objectflow modules added in dll.xml and running in directx9 mode.. once i go from the wdm default windows 8 driver for my 5850 card, to that of 12.8 (i also tried 12.6).. I will get fsx crashes upon doing alt enter or alt tab.

Without the ati software i have no issues, however, i cant run eyefinity 3 screen spanned mode without it.

So for now i'm living with the chance that if a popup happens for whatever reason and overrides my fsx window, i will crash. I was going to do more testing on my other test drive to try to find some sort of workaround but so far no luck at least in my case.

Anyone running the ati 12.8 and noticing this?

I'm on Win 8 Pro x64 RTM.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

My Problem is that I can't use it in full screen mode becuase i have 2 screens and the way windows 8 manages screens now disallows it. I mean its halfway between two of the screens at a small resolution.

I've found the same problem, with an Nvidia GTX 680 and two monitors. It does switch back to a single monitor, but at the minimum resolution.

I have to disable one monitor to bring it up in native resolution.

X-Plane 10 has no problem, so it isn't a native Windows 8 problem. One can only hope that Nividia can work round the problem with their driver, since nobody's going to change FSX.

Ian.

I believe my issue of using two monitors has been fixed by Microsoft now. It seems to work fine no. Must have been a windows update because my graphics drivers havn't been updated.

I believe my issue of using two monitors has been fixed by Microsoft now. It seems to work fine no. Must have been a windows update because my graphics drivers havn't been updated.

Mine too, although I'm not sure I've had any updates at all!

• Upvote 1

Ian.

I don't understand people going W8.

I bet you guys who went W8 also went Windows Vista when it came out? Not that W8 is as bad as Vista was, but it's gonna be a bigger flop than Vista... many are predicting that.

Vista was far from a flop, it was used by hundreds of millions of people, and towards the end of its life it was a good OS, once it was mostly fixed, then along came a far better OS, Windows 7. I really do hope 8 fails quickly like Flight did then MS can move on and get back to business and stop trying to outwit or copy Apple etc. Metro looked like it was designed for someone with vision problems, either that or it was designed by someone with vision problems.

Cheers, Andy.

I don't understand people going W8.

I bet you guys who went W8 also went Windows Vista when it came out? Not that W8 is as bad as Vista was, but it's gonna be a bigger flop than Vista... many are predicting that.

I sound a bit like a MS a really excited user, but I'm very keen on WIN8!

Yes, I was jumping on VISTA and have had not all the troubles people have reported.

I wonder till today why VISTA wasn't such a good OS: it was a big step from XP!

What I see the last weeks with people using WIN8 currently, is that they often have not the latest RTM version 9200.

And versions before where buggy, yes. I don't understand why MS have released them.

The only valid RTM version is the enterprise you get from MSDN.

All other stuff is older and buggier.

The whining about Metro I do not understand also: just don't use it.

Nobody on a desktop will use it!

But I like the quick overview I have, when I startup my computer.

So, I think WIN8 would be indeed a success.

On the other hand, many companies have just switched to WIN7, they won't do it again.

But in the private sector I'm sure in a few month we have many positive reactions here!

EDIT

The first sentence doesn't make sense, I don't know why.

I have written something else but I'm not able to edit this sentence any more.

This forum driving me nuts slowly as every week is another bug in there ... :mad:

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That will probably be a Windows 8 bug, not the forum software, PMSL, post editing works perfectly on my Win7 PC and my iPad, lol.

The email notifications are completely whacked at AVSIM though, I didn't receive notification of any replies in this thread or any other I'm subscribed to in the last 24 hours or so and this thread is very new and current too, so it's not a case of notifications being pruned after 2 weeks of inactivity.

Cheers, Andy.

That will probably be a Windows 8 bug, not the forum software

nope, worked a few days ago!

And here is it again, the reflexive "this is not a bug, this is WIN8" sentence ^_^

The email notifications are completely whacked at AVSIM though

That will probably be a IPad bug, not the forum software :)

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester