Sign in to follow this  
radioguy

Flight controls gone haywire

I'm in the process of setting up FSX for the umpteenth time. Currently using Flight Link G Stick III with collective and pedals for helo control. Also have PFC Jetliner yoke, throttle, and Cirrus rudders on the rig.

In doing this initial setup, I had all controls attached to the system. When I went to fly the helo, I was getting "stray" inputs on the cyclic. This disappeared as soon as I unplugged the Jetliner yoke's USB connection. So far, so good. Still had the Cirrus pedals/throttle combo connected and the Flight Link controllers worked fine. The other night, I installed the PMDG 737NGX and all hell broke loose. Now, even with just the F/L controls connected (everything else disconnected), I'm back to getting those stray inputs, except this time on the rudders. Re-calibration through both FSX and FSUIPC have had no influence. So just after takeoff, the helo begins to spin on axis and is rendered virtually uncontrollable though there have been NO inputs to the rudders. I even uninstalled the PMDG a/c but still have the problem. Also re-built the fsx.cfg file from scratch...no help. I don't think it has anything to do with the PMDG install, though I could be wrong. Any thoughts???

Alan

Guest firehawk44

You never mentioned it so I will. Did you check out the troubleshooting guide for the Flight Link Stick - http://www.flightlink.com/support/dox/GSTK3InstallGuide.pdf? Changing USB ports is one excellent recommendation. The fact one problem went away when you unplugged the Jetliner yoke's USB connection, indicates you might have an issue with one or more of your USB ports. Make sure you have the latest USB drivers for Windows 7 installed.

Best regards,

Jim

Plugging into rear case USB ports instead of ports that are extended to the front is also a good idea.

HP Omen Intel Core i9 @ 3.6GHz
64GB RAM @ 1596MHz, NVidia GeForce RTX 3090
Windows 10 64bit, 2 x 2TB SSD, 2TB 7200RPM SATA Drive

Use FSUIPC and setup all your controls through it. By far the best solution. I fought this for years - and then one day I got smart.....

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

To be on the safeside, it might be a good idea to use a powered USB hub, as the Yoke column may not be getting the required power to operate properly. i had this problem when I 1st started using my PFC column yoke. Once I connected it to a powered hub, my woes went away, and yes using FSUIPC for setup maybe of beneficial gain.

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I'll get to them shortly and report back on my experience.

Just wanted to make sure you guys did't think I'm ignoring you! :rolleyes:

FSX gives some default button/ axis assignments for every new controller you plug in.

Make sure that in the controller settings you have only those axes/ buttons assigned that you want. You may have to delete some existing assignments.

No matter how you solve your problem, it is a good idea to make a backup of the Standard.XML file that stores the assignments. It is located in %Username%ApplicationData%\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\Standard.XML

Edit: Also make sure not to use a USB hub after another USB hub.

Use FSUIPC and setup all your controls through it. By far the best solution. I fought this for years - and then one day I got smart.....

I have the Level D 767 as my primary aircraft. Last year using CH Products yoke and pedals I was getting a constant right deflection of the rudder. Checked everything, USB ports and all, like the suggestions above, I have a powered USB hub and I connected all my Ch Products USB connections to the rear of the PC. NOTHING would solve the problem. When I relayed this to Pete Dawson, he indicated that I change all my controls in FSX and use my registered FSUIPC to control everything. Since doing that I have absolute smooth flight controls no spiking etc. Works like a charm.

Bob

Bob,

A bit confused here. Did Pete suggest that you clear/delete all assignments in FSX prior to re-assigning in FSUIPC?

Alan

That's the easiest way, Alan, otherwise you get crosstalk. I had the same experience as Bob: too many controllers, and half-a-dozen different types of aircraft, including helis. It was Jahman's constant support of the use of the functionality of the paid version which persuaded me to do away with my scripts and multiple configs, and I'm so glad I did.

(On that subject I am so sorry we lost Jahman some months ago. He was very technically strong and always helping. I wissh he were still here. I haven't even spotted him on other sites.)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hello

Jahman was always very helpful, a real shame he left.

If you are reading this Jahman, it is time to come back mate.

Thanks for the clarification, Paul. Makes sense..crosstalk.

Funny though, I didn't have the PFC yoke connected and G-Stick was doing fine. It was only after I installed

PMDG 737NGX that it all went haywire. So it kind of leads me to believe that something in the PMDG software

might induce some sort of a corruption somewhere. Though where and what baffles me.

Now, is there a "Jahman tutorial" available somewhere? I did some playing earlier and deleted the rudder axis

assignment from within the FSX options menu. Then went to FSUIPC (I think it's 4.34?) and tried to assign it from

there. The program didn't see a rudder input signal, i.e. nothing happened. But it was there BEFORE I deleted the FSX

assignment. Admittedly, I'm a complete novice when it comes to using Pete's program outside of basic setups, as in

the PFC throttles and so on. A more in-depth look would be quite useful.

Alan

Hi Alan; I've sent you a pm - you're close enough that I can walk you through a base setup.

RadioGuy,

Just to be sure ....... have you updated the NGX to its latest SP1c. The 1st version of the NGX did not play well with PFC equipment (and still does have a few minor quirks - for me mainly the spoilers lever is nonfunctional unless programmed). The Yoke and rudder should work without any problems and the throttle quad. I use the 4 engine module and configure it via FSUIPC

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

The Win 7 install is 2 weeks old. But I'll check. Good suggestion..thanks.

Alan

You never mentioned it so I will. Did you check out the troubleshooting guide for the Flight Link Stick - http://www.flightlin...nstallGuide.pdf? Changing USB ports is one excellent recommendation. The fact one problem went away when you unplugged the Jetliner yoke's USB connection, indicates you might have an issue with one or more of your USB ports. Make sure you have the latest USB drivers for Windows 7 installed.

Best regards,

Jim