Sign in to follow this  
WWFII

Avionics Modeling in X-Plane v10

Because Microsoft decided to drop Flight Simulator, I decided to purchase X-Plane v10 to support continued development.

At any rate, my concern is with the modeling of systems within an aircraft. For instance, with the default Cessna 172 in a "cold and dark" state, ATC could still be heard. The battery, avionics, alternator, etc., were all off.

Also, when I was on the ground at KBPT, I started changing frequencies, and I was able to listen to ATIS information from KSGR -- which is too far away to be heard from the ground at KBPT.

FSX does the same thing with the radios off. It's an annoyance. The ATIS does have to be 'in range', though. I'm looking for someone to tell us how the C172 handles in X-Plane 10.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Welcome on-board:)

I wish you nerves of steel but also a little fun.

FSX does the same thing with the radios off. It's an annoyance. The ATIS does have to be 'in range', though. I'm looking for someone to tell us how the C172 handles in X-Plane 10.

Hello!

As a lover of flight sims and no loyalty to companies, I can say XPX is a nice compliment to FSX. That said, XPX's default planes are not one of its strengths. In fact, I didn't buy XPX until I purchased some addons to try in the demo since I was pretty shocked by the default 172's behavior.

Some may be more forgiving but when I can make the plane nearly flip by simply alternating right and left rudder, it's hard to take seriously. Although it was fun to watch the plane fly in a circles all by itself.

That said, addons fly quite well within the envelope. I am new to XPX addons so hopefully some can recommend some good aircraft. I have a few Carenado airplanes which are quite nice as long as you don't expect realistic stalls, spins and slips. These are hard to do in any sim, of course. I wish sim makers would concentrate on this more though: what's the point of flying if the plane won't punish you for incorrect flying?

In short: for well-behaved aircraft, you'll need addons and don't judge XPX by the default planes.

So, my understanding is that the problem is a limitation of the specific model -- not the simulator? The modeling of the avionics systems can be more robust?

I have purchased the Carenado planes for FSX, previously. So, I will wait until a version for XPX becomes available.

I have purchased the Carenado planes for FSX, previously. So, I will wait until a version for XPX becomes available.

On their store (www.carenado.com), if you click on their products page and filter by simulator, you'll find 10 airplanes for X-Plane.

But you're right, many things have to be improved on the default ATC, in fact, so many things that I don't use it for now, just like I never used the default ATC in FS. When I want ATC in X-Plane, I'm flying online using IVAO, but you can also use VATSIM or PilotEdge.

Some may be more forgiving but when I can make the plane nearly flip by simply alternating right and left rudder, it's hard to take seriously.

Have you tried to apply full right-left rudder alternatively in a real Cessna?

I ask this because, I don't know in a Cessna, but e.g. in a B737, full rudder deflection _will_ flip the aircraft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAir_Flight_427

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_585

Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I have been a fan of X-Plane since version 7 but still fly Microsoft. It has been a bit 'horses for courses' for me, MSFS for graphics, AI and ATC but X-Plane for the pure 'feel' of hand flying. I agree X-Plane 10 has a long way to go for the ATC component but it is getting there.

P.S. I get my MSFS fix from Prepar3d these days, it feels more like FSX with some performance patches but for sheer fluidity, it is worth the academic license! I can fly with FPS as low at 15 fps and it is still as smooth as silk.

At any rate, my concern is with the modeling of systems within an aircraft. For instance, with the default Cessna 172 in a "cold and dark" state, ATC could still be heard. The battery, avionics, alternator, etc., were all off.

Certain systems seem to be broken, and I've reported bugs. I suggest everyone else does as well right here:

http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

Here's some other systems bugs:

1. Leave your transponder off, and observe the "TCAS Alert" warnings as you fly near other aircraft. (fixed in 10.04, broken again in 10.05)

2. With batteries & generator off, switch on the avionics master swtich and observe the cooling fans power up. (new for 10.10)

3. In Carenado aircraft this is more pronounced: Switch batteries on and off, and observe the frame rate climb and dip. Seen it on some stock aircraft (less pronounced effect), but not all. (broken since before I've bought the Carenado planes).

4. Something's not right with engine oil pressures. Some aircraft have oil pressures off the red line for normal throttle settings (broken in 10.10).

5. Autopilots with pitch control (E.g. Baron) adjust the pitch and the aircraft decides to start climbing steeply regardless (broken in 10.10)

PilotEdge checks the status of the Avionics Master switch. If it's off, you won't be able to hear or talk to anyone else. Similarly, the plugin checks bus voltage and also checks for com radio failure. If the voltage isn't sufficient, or the radio has failed, you won't be able to hear any pilots or ATC either.

That's not a core feature of X-Plane, though.

Keith Smith

PilotEdge Founder

ASEL (instrument)

Lancair 360

PilotEdge checks the status of the Avionics Master switch. If it's off, you won't be able to hear or talk to anyone else. Similarly, the plugin checks bus voltage and also checks for com radio failure. If the voltage isn't sufficient, or the radio has failed, you won't be able to hear any pilots or ATC either.

Time to rock yer wings at that point, I guess. LOL.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Here's some other systems bugs:

1. Leave your transponder off, and observe the "TCAS Alert" warnings as you fly near other aircraft. (fixed in 10.04, broken again in 10.05)

2. With batteries & generator off, switch on the avionics master swtich and observe the cooling fans power up. (new for 10.10)

3. In Carenado aircraft this is more pronounced: Switch batteries on and off, and observe the frame rate climb and dip. Seen it on some stock aircraft (less pronounced effect), but not all. (broken since before I've bought the Carenado planes).

4. Something's not right with engine oil pressures. Some aircraft have oil pressures off the red line for normal throttle settings (broken in 10.10).

5. Autopilots with pitch control (E.g. Baron) adjust the pitch and the aircraft decides to start climbing steeply regardless (broken in 10.10)

I am finally getting back onto aircraft and we're knocking out several of these bugs. The Baron is getting pretty robust now, adding ADF, VOR to nav2, etc.....having a few sim bugs fixed that make it operate quite a bit more accurately. We're working toward a stable 10.20 release and trying to get all the aircraft consistent. I definitely encourage folks to be thorough and if they find something, do report it to the link anthony posted. aircraft bugs will end up straight on my todo list to look at.

Tom Kyler

Laminar / IXEG

www.ixeg.net

PS. Sneak peak of upcoming feature in the next beta...Designed for cold and dark starts at night. We have both white and red! It's HDR mode only though!

https://dl.dropbox.c.../Baron_58_1.mov

We're working toward a stable 10.20 release and trying to get all the aircraft consistent.

may I ask how far 10.2 is away and if it really features 64bit?

I couldn't say Marcus as that's not on my plate . ....but there is a sense of ugency to get it "out of beta". I'm not sure where the 64 part comes in though. Sorry!

Tom

Thanks for all the responses. I was concerned about the maturity of the product, but there really is no other option available. I won't mind waiting for this product to mature, and now I have an idea of what to expect.