Sign in to follow this  
BimmerCop

i7 3770K needs de-lidding?

You mean, open the hood on the CPU to replace the internal coolant with some liquid metal or something?

Are you going extreme OC? :)

:o :rolleyes:

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

You mean, open the hood on the CPU to replace the internal coolant with some liquid metal or something?

Are you going extreme OC? :)

:o :rolleyes:

Manny

LOL Yup!

On the i5-3570k, Intel used thermal paste to secure the IHS to the cpu and this is not allowing the chip to be overclocked easily without overheating. I wonder if it's the same case with the i7-3770k or did Intel solder the IHS instead on this chip.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

I believe its the same thing.. thats why Hasse and Max have delidded theirs.. And they both have the 3770K.

I am curiously watching how you are planning to do and your results...so I can see if I should try that stunt too!

B)

Manny

I believe its the same thing.. thats why Hasse and Max have delidded theirs.. And they both have the 3770K.

I am curiously watching how you are planning to do and your results...so I can see if I should try that stunt too!

B)

The reason I even asked about the i7-3770K is because I have the i5-3570K and was debating on whether I should return it and get me the 3770K since it's only $100 difference. Still not sure what I should do. Regardless, the Corsair H100 is on it's way and should be here on Wednesday. If I decide to keep the 3570, then I will de-lid it on Wednesday. Still debating on whether to exchange it or not. Is it really worth it?

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

I have the 3770K... the only difference from the 3570K is the one of the cache is larger in the 3770K. Not sure how much difference it makes. From the overall cost the $100 does not make much difference... but for folks who want to cut down cost, that $100 could be spent elsewhere..right?

But when I was messing up and bricking my CPUs I was thinking, maybe I should have gone the 3570Ks... so if you are going to be delidding and what not, maybe the 3570K is better? Maybe Hasse and Max can answer better.

But if you are like me and you can afford it get the 3770K. I have this nasty habit of being financially smart in the beginning and getting what I really need and then I have this buyers remorse afterwards... going... shouid I have spent the extra $100 gotten the next thing....and end up buying the expensive one. This nasty habit has cost me a lot in photography and lens buying. :)

Manny

Manny

In answer to the original question: yes

As far as 3570k vs. 3770k goes (at least for FSX) I wouldn't bother worrying about the difference, it's really miniscule. If you want the absolute most performance and best overclocking potential, the 3770k is the way to go but for $100 less you get 98% of the performance with the 3570k.

I have the 3770K... the only difference from the 3570K is the one of the cache is larger in the 3770K. Not sure how much difference it makes. From the overall cost the $100 does not make much difference... but for folks who want to cut down cost, that $100 could be spent elsewhere..right?

But when I was messing up and bricking my CPUs I was thinking, maybe I should have gone the 3570Ks... so if you are going to be delidding and what not, maybe the 3570K is better? Maybe Hasse and Max can answer better.

But if you are like me and you can afford it get the 3770K. I have this nasty habit of being financially smart in the beginning and getting what I really need and then I have this buyers remorse afterwards... going... shouid I have spent the extra $100 gotten the next thing....and end up buying the expensive one. This nasty habit has cost me a lot in photography and lens buying. :)

Manny

In answer to the original question: yes

As far as 3570k vs. 3770k goes (at least for FSX) I wouldn't bother worrying about the difference, it's really miniscule. If you want the absolute most performance and best overclocking potential, the 3770k is the way to go but for $100 less you get 98% of the performance with the 3570k.

Guys, I am like you guys and if I don't make this switch, I will always be like damn, I should have gotten the 3770K. Hahaha The 3570K is on it's way back to Amazon as I type this and the 3770K is on it's way to daddy! I will get it tomorrow along with the Corsair H100. Fun times tomorrow! lol

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Guys, I am like you guys and if I don't make this switch, I will always be like damn, I should have gotten the 3770K. Hahaha The 3570K is on it's way back to Amazon as I type this and the 3770K is on it's way to daddy! I will get it tomorrow along with the Corsair H100. Fun times tomorrow! lol

Have fun! Make sure to use some Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra or similar liquid metal thermal interface material to get the best thermal transfer and the lowest temps.

Have fun! Make sure to use some Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra or similar liquid metal thermal interface material to get the best thermal transfer and the lowest temps.

Tech, I ordered this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038

I hope it's good!

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed with the results. You *need* to use a liquid metal compound to effectively transfer the heat into the IHS and away from the core. The older silicon and silver-based pastes just don't have the thermal conductivity required to do the job, in this case. Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra is my liquid metal thermal interface material of choice, you can find it at FrozenCPU or other online sellers. It's quite expensive at around $15 for a tube, but it's the difference between a drop of only 10C (at most) and over 20C. That's huge with Ivy Bridge. Could be the difference between 4.7GHz and 4.8 or even 4.9GHz, depending on how much voltage your chip needs.

Damn, anyways, I just received the H100, i7-3770K and MX-4!!! If Im not pleased with the performance of the MX-4 TIM, Ill just order the liquid metal and give that a shot.

Speaking of de-lidding, it took me all of 2 minutes to get it done and it was AMAZINGLY easy to do! You MUST use the right blade and it definitely needs to be a double edge blade as those used by barbers to shave you. This is the one they split in half and place it in that razor holder and shave you.

The blade is EXTREMELY thin and cuts like a mofo! Hahaha It slides perfectly between the IHS and the cpu. Just go to each corner, force it in a bit and once you feel it has cut into the glue a bit, just slide it back and forth gently and it cuts through it like a hot knife through butter.

Im telling you, took me 2 minutes and it was just too easy.

- Grammar *censored*, this was sent from my phone.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

It will be good to see your temps on the MX-4 and what ever you decide to replace it with.

Did you manage to do a test oc before you delidded it, if you did what was the temps like.

-Paul-

It will be good to see your temps on the MX-4 and what ever you decide to replace it with.

Did you manage to do a test oc before you delidded it, if you did what was the temps like.

I didnt bc ive read some ppl say the IHS is harder to take off after the cpu has been installed and used. So i went ahead and de-lidded a virgin. :lol:

- Grammar *censored*, this was sent from my phone.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Thanks Efrain,

Ive already got the H100 so when i get my 3770K i might look at doing this.

-Paul-