Sign in to follow this  

Plan-G > Reality XP GNS 530?

I know you can't import flightplans into the Reality XP GNS 530 but before I actually buy the latter for my RealAir Legacy, I wonder how to enter plans made Plan-G into the GNS. Well, I know how to enter flightplans in the GNS 530 but the problem is the waypoints I create in Plan-G: I always simply drag the flightplan line in Plan-G to create new waypoints but they are simply called wpt01, wpt02, etc. and obviously that's of no use in the GNS 530...

Do you ever plan a flight (with more waypoints then the departure and destination airport) and enter it manually in the 530? If so, how do you do it? Or do you always simply create A to B plans (which might as well be a Direct-to the destination...)? I don't plan on creating plans with lots of waypoints, but two or three might be usefull to guide me along valleys, etc.

You can rename waypoints in Plan G to be more descriptive, if needed. Which won't help much, if they can't be imported into the RXP devices, but may be helpful when using the flight plans with other software.

I'm not sure if the integration that you described above is possible as I've never tried it (I program all my flights into the RXP GNS 530 itself), but I did purchase the RXP GNS 530 for the Legacy and I find it outstanding compared to the default FSX GPS. I played with a real 530 at Oshkosh last week and there were almost no differences in function from the real thing compared to the RXP 530. I would get the 530 regardless.

One thing to note though is that the RXP GNS 530 has some maps that can be compared to PlanG. There is a map page that shows roads and points of interest alongside the aviation data. For example, I'm flying in PNW now and I can see that I'm right above US Highway 101 just west Hood Canal and just south of Whidbey and Proctection Island. On this same map it shows the Seattle Class B to the east as well. There is also a terrain page (similar to the NGX's terrain display). I can dodge through valleys and avoid high peaks in the Olympic mountains. I'm not sure how to create points purely off of just seeing a location, but these maps provide info comparable to PlanG, just not as detailed. If you want to make your own airport/waypoint points, that can be easily done too. Just use Lat/Long coordinates or provide a VOR radial(s) and DME info and it will create it.

Hopefully someone else will answer your question about PlanG-RXP integration, but I think you should get the RXP 530 regardless. It really transformed my flights in the Legacy from everything-is-real-except-for-the-GPS to a real-airplane feeling in the sim.

Bit of a weak spot on those otherwise detailed RXP gauges. You have to enter waypoints via the gauge clickspots and dials since there's no import feature from FSX to RXP. Also, there's no keyboard option, so you will become very skilled with the mousewheel and pointer sooner or later. ^_^

Another thing, but not a fault RXP, is the inability to process airway entries. GNS530 and 430 are that way. So while later units or the FMC renditions will only need an entry point for the airway and later some info on where to exit, you would have to enter all waypoints in between in the RXP. You can cheat and only pick vital ones, but some longer IFR routes will still mean 'mousewheel and pointer' again.

There also seems to be a limitation on the actual length of the active flight plan. I had some departure and arrival lately and quite some waypoints in between and received the message that my fp is too long and that I would have to delete some items. Not a problem if you've already flown the departure and don't need it anymore of course. But surely a :huh: moment at times.

To define own waypoints, you can only add them manually to the database. As Kevin mentions, coordinates or VOR references will do. But that is not a fun work when you need it for every flight and with plenty of different wp.

Since the Plan-G plans with the custom waypoints may most likely be VFR plans, you could run the RXP with the straight lines between airports or VORs and do the rest visually. Perhaps only adding the vital spots where terrain is a problem.

Not that cheap those units, but the gained functionality over the default ones is a treat, while the above downsides may be annoying at times. For shorter routes, you won't notice them much though. With the 1.6 version there also was a 'streaming' feature added, which does as it says. It streams the active RXP flight plan to the default gauges.

Before that feature, you always had to trick FSX or just rely on the RXP display while losing the map display on some ND. Well, maybe the next incarnation of the feature also allows some FSX flight plan loading, which would instantly get rid of the above downsides and would also allow any Plan-G waypoint to come up automatically.

I forgot to add one thing on the actual database in use. It remains static and the very latest update you are able to legally use is from mid 2011. That shouldn't be a problem as long as you find all necessary procedures. But with time, the loss of updates gains a bit of weight, depending on the usage of course.

So there's no cheap Navigraph option or something. You are stuck with Garmin and the last legal ways to receive those updates. You can of course buy later updates, but those are the rw formats with the corresponding prices. Just means that your sim airac reads 1106 and all approaches and nav data being established after that date aren't in the unit of yours.

You can add waypoints and stuff, but approaches can't be added manually. As said, this downside depends on the personal usage. And 2011 data is fairly current of course.

I'm staggered. I've been thinking about this 530GPS for some time now, but being unable to import a flight plan seems crazy, especially the price you pay for it.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

True, Howard. You will get used to the clicking and turning stuff, but some import feature would be the icing on the cake. The real units are nicely operated without looking much on the dials, a haptic step. But the sim with the mousewheel and different clickspots is a different thing and longer plans aren't fun.

You can save some 15 19 plans and trick a bit with the actual file in use, taking care of those 19. But when flying new routes, you are mainly clicking and turning until you have what you want.

For the folks wondering about the added functionality, the Garmin trainer app is free to download. Just look up the GNS530 stuff and check the downloads. The features are the same and the clicks are close to the sim gauge, although the sim makes more use of the mousewheel.

By that, you can check if you may like or need it. RXP sells via the F1 system, so you have some 30 days money back in place if you want to check the gauge itself.

Since the Plan-G plans with the custom waypoints may most likely be VFR plans, you could run the RXP with the straight lines between airports or VORs and do the rest visually. Perhaps only adding the vital spots where terrain is a problem.

That's exactly what I wanted to do: maybe add two or three important waypoints and do the rest on visuals. But how to add those vital waypoints, that I don't know... If you have to enter LAT/LONG you first have to have that data: Plan-G doesn't give it to me: it only tells me the waypoint is called wpt01... so how do I get those numbers? And secondly: that's indeed not a nice thing to do everytime: that are a LOT of numbers for just one waypoint...

BTW This is the only reason why I haven't bought a Reality XP GNS yet... I've been thinking about getting one for years and years but everytime this kept me from buying it. However, the Legacy is really good and I love to make it complete with a realistic GNS (with the possibility to do GPS approaches) so now I am simply trying to figure out what is the easiest way to enter flightplans and/or to get the data I need for that. Only flying plans from A straight to B at hight altiturde isn't my thing...

I don't know how V3 of Plan-G handles coordinates, but V2 has that QDM feature, offering some radials and distance to other waypoints. So if you reference some VOR, the RXP will be able to compute where you want to go. SEA VOR, radial 273, 12nm out. There you go.

To be honest, I've tried working like that back then, but the extra work for defining user waypoints and then adding them to the flight plan was too much for the usual VFR hops of mine. It's possible though, so I can't complain.

However, the import feature is missing in my eyes. You are right. Others will praise the 'realism' added by leaving it out. So there you have some preferences. :lol:

I'm running straight GPS lines, the terrain view on one unit and my eyes outside the plane. That's VFR. With the fast Lance, you are looking fast too. B)

Hm, okay, well... choices, choices... I've been thinking about two addons the last days, but both somehow don't want to get bought... :wink: The GNS has no easy plan option and the AirHauler demo is expired one second after installing it plus their site of offline: weird and not too reassuring. :wink: Maybe I should forget about buying more stuff and simply fly the Legacy as it is...

The navdata is pure Garmin and no way to convert it to .pln format or any other format since it uses Garmin trainer data. Its how it works in the RW! I could care less about FSX flightplanner import, though I do wish the navdata base was updatable. Its not like using it in a long distance Commercial jet liner with many,many waypoints and Jroutes. If that is the case install a FMC system.That said. I wouldn't live without my 530 and/or 430 in my GA and Corporate aircraft. Programming is a wz after you get use to it, as Cool stated. Perhaps the best FS investment made.

I really recommend downloading that Garmin trainer. You will like the terrain display and the extra pages of the units. And you can explore them as long as you want. It adds something, even for VFR flights and even without copying every Plan-G waypoint.

For the gauges itself and after liking the trainer, you still have 30 days to decide. But I recall being in the same situation as you. They aren't cheap and if you get one, you may like another one (530 and 430) or two of the same kind. And that is one of the most expensive purchases my sim life incorporates. :blush:

By the way, with the trainer app, you could, in theory, edit flight plans and save them without running FSX. This should work when you pick the correct unit. But I never tried it so far.

:wink: Maybe I should forget about buying more stuff and simply fly the Legacy as it is...

Sounds like a plan and surely saves some money. And the waypoints come easy with the FSX units.

If you have to enter LAT/LONG you first have to have that data: Plan-G doesn't give it to me: it only tells me the waypoint is called wpt01... so how do I get those numbers? And secondly: that's indeed not a nice thing to do everytime: that are a LOT of numbers for just one waypoint...

May I suggest using Skyvector charts? http://skyvector.com/

Just load up a sectional and right-click anywhere and you have the LatLong coordinates to any point in the same format that the 530 uses - DMS.

Ok, magic statement in flight sim forums. ^_^ Hold your breath. There is a good chance that your fps improve over using the FSX internal gauges. Those RXP things run on a separate exe and only get displayed in the sim. Ever had a default GPS unit and saw the fps decreasing slightly when turning it on? Even more so if two are in the panel.

With the RXP, I don't see any impact and me assumes that the external exe helps to avoid the extra code for those small glass units. Well, perhaps some other RXP users can state their impressions on that aspect.

I see Bert's name in the list of readers. If you ever run into problems with the RXP units, he will help you. I can't count the times he did and that's on a pure user to user basis. Great work, Bert!

The navdata is pure Garmin and no way to convert it to .pln format or any other format since it uses Garmin trainer data. Its how it works in the RW! I could care less about FSX flightplanner import

That isn't the problem. (Although importing a plan would be easy.) The problem is how to obtain the data I need to enter in the GNS.

May I suggest using Skyvector charts? http://skyvector.com/

Just load up a sectional and right-click anywhere and you have the LatLong coordinates to any point in the same format that the 530 uses - DMS.

That is indeed the best option so far: this way you get a plan with LAT/LONG at once. My problem was Plan-G didn't give me the data I needed. But er... that's 13 (thirteen) numbers you have to dial in with the mouse for one waypoint... Blimey... Maybe Plan-G v3 comes with a better options to find the data I need to enter in the GNS...

That isn't the problem. (Although importing a plan would be easy.) The problem is how to obtain the data I need to enter in the GNS.

That wasn't really intended for you JE. Sorry. I get my long_Lat data for waypoints off of FSComander and so far it's been accuarate enough for FS. Sectionals, High/low enroute as stated would be good also.

US only. If someone can give something equivalant for the rest of the world, please chime in as this is a fantastic website for US GA sim flyers.

http://skyvector.com/