Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

Oculus Rift VR headset, Valve & id Software support

Well looks like it will cost 300 for the dev kit with Doom already supported. Anyone planning to back this kick starter project?

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I've backed it because I'm really interested in VR applications for simulation purposes, but I wouldn't hold your breath for FSX support. It seems that support has to be added to the software engine by the developer, and we all know exactly how much support that FSX receives from MS. At the moment, anything which runs Unreal4 as the engine will work, but more is planned. The developer kit available later this year appears to be the DIY "cardboard box" model demoed at QuakeCon 2012, not the swish looking headset shown on the Kickstarter page.

That being said, there are still some significant hurdles to jump in regards to adoption of a 3D goggle system - the main ones being:

• the low resolution of the displays - although the Rift has a rather elegant approach to dealing with this based around distorted rendering and a lens system which focuses proportionally more of the scene in front of the eye's fovea leaving the peripheral vision at a lower reolution - very neat,
  • the impact on frame rates - each frame needs to be rendered twice - once for each eye - hence your nice 30fps flying that 737 into YBBN (HA!) would now be 15fps,
  • and the problems associated with lag in the motion tracking systems - what is acceptable lag between head movement and screen with TIR or similar is horribly annoying when viewed through goggles, anyone remember the old VR arcade games which made a brief appearance back in the 90's? No? There's a reason for that...

Still, watching this one with keen interest B)

Cheers,

Derek

EDIT: I do note that LM are onboard with it and working on integrating Rift support into P3D ^_^

Didn't know about LM working on intergrating Rift support, that is positive news :)

A few developers are trying to interface the oculus rift without developer support -- theres already a stereoscopic driver out in alpha. Can't wait to get my hands on these, I've put down my deposit. Right now its 1.3 million invested and there are still 20+ days to go!

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

This would be a great add on for FSX even if the only thing that worked with FSX was the display in the goggles. I'd clip my TrackIR clip to it, or I can see others using it with their headset and IR clip.