Sign in to follow this  
cj3737

Prepar3d 2.0

I don't think that 64-bit is a neccessity in P3D 2.0. If they can improve memory management and make old data clear itself, a VAS of 4GB is enough.

@ChaoticBeauty

Would have to disagree. I'm always running out of memory, and the limit, even with better management is going to prevent future more complex addons for working. It's about time it was updated to 64-Bit

@ChaoticBeauty

Would have to disagree. I'm always running out of memory, and the limit, even with better management is going to prevent future more complex addons for working. It's about time it was updated to 64-Bit

based on what factual information?

based on what factual information?

Not factual, just from my personal experience. Based on the fact that I can't add any more addons to my sim without it running out of memory, even though I have a machine with 16GB of RAM, it runs out of memory. I'd hate to see how the 777 is going to handle, since I can only just about run the 737NGX, Opus, ProATCX and EFB. If I approach a large airport, it crashes. So, I can no longer buy large airports, nice scenery without first disabling other plugins. I'm sure you can search about on this forum and see this for yourself

The same goes for X-Plane. This also ran out of memory, the 64-Bit version has all but solved this issue. I can now run it with max autogen, high quality textures and not worry about it dying out. For me, this is the logical progression of P3D, and would make a lot of people happy

The 4GB limit will just severely limit the detail of future sceneries. Can you imagine what say Orbx PNW would look like if it had access to 16GB or even 8GB?

Same with aircraft. They are getting more complex but limited in its HD quality and other features. The NGX by itself takes 800mb as it is.

Then weather textures, ground. A sophisticated program like a flight simulator should have access to the ram you have installed on your computer. And if your low then add another 8GB. Memory is reasonably cheap.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Not factual, just from my personal experience. Based on the fact that I can't add any more addons to my sim without it running out of memory, even though I have a machine with 16GB of RAM, it runs out of memory. I'd hate to see how the 777 is going to handle, since I can only just about run the 737NGX, Opus, ProATCX and EFB.

Of those only the NGX is a big user of memory in the FSX process. ProATCX and EFB use none at all.

If I approach a large airport, it crashes. So, I can no longer buy large airports, nice scenery without first disabling other plugins.

Each additional airport uses no more than any one you might have because they are not all active in memory together. It is more likely to be your settings, which are too high for your system. Just a simple thing like cutting down 4096 x 4096 cloud textures to 1024 x 1024 will help enormously and detract little from the visuals. And try a notch less autogen and terrain resolution.

Most OOMs that I've seen (not on my system, I don't get them these days despite having just about all European sceneries you can get installed) are probably attributable to memory leaks arising from small errors in sceneries and textures. With memory leaks no end of extra memory access capabilities will really help in the long term because, although it would then be unlikely that 64-bits worth of addressing would run out, the performance would gradually slow to a stop as the virtual memory system clogged up completely.

The only real answer is to somehow eliminate or fix the erroneous add-on data. This is not easy, but tracking down the specific BGLs is quite possible using an assortment of programmer debugging and analysis tools. But it does take time and patience as well as the knowledge to do this. I've managed to do it for the few OOMs and other crashes I've had in the past. I've not been able to fix the files, though, merely removed them.

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Just a simple thing like cutting down 4096 x 4096 cloud textures to 1024 x 1024 will help enormously and detract little from the visuals. And try a notch less autogen and terrain resolution.

Thanks for the info Pete. I've done just that with Rex, reducing textures to the 1024, etc. It's still quite easy for it run out of memory when using the NGX. Toning down the autogen and draw distance does help a little, but even on medium settings, I will get a CTD in areas like Seattle or London Heathrowe. I was saying above, this problem seems to have now disappeared in X-Plane 64bit, and I think it is definitely the way forward for P3D.

@ChaoticBeauty

You're running out of memory because old data is not being cleared. If it starts getting cleared, the issue would be solved.

I know that we could see more complex stuff if P3D 2.0 was 64-bit, but since it's unlikely, improving the memory management is a better option.

Well, it's a never ending battle. As soon as LM comes out with a 64 bit version, the developers will fill up that additional memory space with more detail until it bogs down again. Then we'll be complaining about wanting a 128 bit version! Can't blame the developers completely as it is us, the simmers always demanding more this and more that.

It will be interesting to what changes occure with P3D v2.0. Hope they take their time to really work on the multi CPU-GPU-DX11 advantages to get as much as we can out of 32bit. If they have to push it out to 2014 I can wait. P3D is working that good for me now.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit