Sign in to follow this  

How to find LPV approaches...?

I want to try an LPV approach with my brand new RXP GNS 530, however, I don't know how to figure out which airport has an LPV approach... I looked an Airnav and simply searched for an airport and because it didn't have any approaches I used the 'Other nearby airports with instrument procedures' option to find airports that do. I want to fly to an airport that has no ILS or anything but ONLY a LPV.

Now the problem is that I do find enough RNAV approaches but I can't figure out if they are LPV or L/VNAV or LNAV+L or whatever... How do you figure out if a GPS appr is LPV...?

Here are some random RNAV apps, but if they are LPV...?

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1208/05602R9.PDF

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1208/05615R11.PDF

Guest KOXR

It's listed in the bottom of the chart. Example: http://155.178.201.1.../05320RZ19R.PDF This ones you linked to are LNAV MDA.

A RNAV Z approach is almost always a LPV. Here is the same runway but RNAV Y: http://155.178.201.1.../05320RY19R.PDF Note it is only LNAV

Here is another PDF that explains all about the differant approaches: http://www.fredonfly...s-Dissected.pdf

The Garmin will also tell you what the approach is after you select the approach and transition:

rns.jpg

Thanks!

Next problem... :wink: How do I find LPV approaches that are in the GNS 530 database...? :wink: I picked a random airport from the list (KRNT) and flew there. But upon arrival the RNAV approach turned out to be a LNAV+V approach (as the GNS 530 showed in the lower left corner: handy). Flew it anyway, or course: it was fun but also quite odd being able to use the elevator while the aileron was stuck in AP mode...! (I approached using NAV on AP and pressed APP before I got at the AF). While on final I couldn't turn left and right but I could go up and down! :wink: Funny. After flying this one I don't really mind if I can't find an LPV app: seems to me each RNAV app is fun. The possibility to do a guided approach while there is no ILS or LOC is fun. :wink:

Love that GNS 530!!!

EDIT

O! KOXR posted in the meantime! Thanks! I hadn't seen what you show in your screenshots! Cool! I didn't see what kind of app it was until I got there (and then I could see what kind of app it was where it says TERM on your shots). And now I know where to look on the charts: I did see LNAV there but because every chart I randomly picked showed that I thought every app would show LNAV there... :wink:

Still, there is the problem of picking approaches online which aren't in the GNS 580 database... I read somewhere you could update that database somehow: I will search for that.

You can sort that Excel file with the approaches by date. If you have the latest RXP (Garmin) update, you are on 1106, so all the 2012 established approaches may go out, same for those after mid 2011. Then you should be ok and find the listed approaches in your sim unit.

Mind updating the RXP nav data. It is shipped with some 2009 stuff and the updates have to be performed manually.

Thanks for the tip. Now I only have to figure out which approaches are in PNW, NRM and PFJ... :wink:

BTW Found the update procedure here: (EDIT LOL I missed KOXR's post about that... :wink: however my link is newer!!!)

http://www.simforums...topic39731.html

Downloading the trainer as I type. A whopping 998 Mb...!

I do have a current airac if anyone is interested. :wink:

Kaan, is that a legal update for the Reality XP GNS database?

Thanks for the tip. Now I only have to figure out which approaches are in PNW, NRM and PFJ... :wink:

Yeah, I remember asking myself the same things. Well, I took a look at those kmz files Orbx offers (in the Orbx documents folder or just on their website, on the product page) and then looked up a nicely placed airport in Google Earth. You know, one which is surrounded by mountains and things and not too small. Then I went for the Excel file from the FAA and searched for the name.

Or do it the other way around, as you like. The GE symbols show the 'reworked' airports, so that's why I started there, leaving some default ones out. Although I think every spot in PNW has received a small amount of Orbx rework.

Well the list can be filtered, so for PNW for example leave the Washington state ones enabled and exclude the rest. Ha, see that? Friday Harbor (FSX default starting point!) awaits you. B)

Bowerman is also in and they are also fairly old, means 2005 and 2009. So it should be in your RXP database. Then there's Olympia (not only in the UK). Well, you get my drift.

I'm pretty sure one can find some docs on Australian or the NZ GPS approaches too. So if you run the Orbx oceanic stuff, you can do the same.

Kaan, is that a legal update for Reality XP GNS database?

You are asking the right question.

For Kaan. Every time somebody posted a tutorial in the RXP forums on how to do the trick on Garmin data, it was deleted. Well, for a good reason I may add. The only legal source is that link from KOXR or Jeroen. Everything else has left the limits of that legal or approved space. So perhaps take Momtchil's question as a reminder. :mellow:

Of course, just ignore what I said.

But everyone should know that there is no legal way of changing that data. Garmin trainer licence forbids any kind of modifying the product. As far as I know, even if it's airac from garmin it's still modifying.

From trainer guide;

"3. YOU MUST NOT:

d) modify the Product or merge all or any part of the product with another program."

Did I misinterpret this?

I guess you'd have to ask the RXP folks on how they've handled their updates so far. They surely have some Garmin approval in the background as the main source for every RXP GPS actually is the original Garmin trainer app. The first (legally approved) update threads also were posted by the RXP dev himself.

So perhaps ask them, but do note that they leave the update threads for up to 1106 in place and always delete any other tips. So there is some policy in place and only they know the details.

I personally appreciate the 1106 stuff as the shipped RXP database is some 2009 thingy. Or even older, I would have to look that up. You would lose a lot of GPS approaches with this, hence the tip to grab the last legally approved stuff.

Kaan,

basic point is that you can't use our forum to offer an illegal update for the RXP GNS database. Please take note and don't do it again. It does violate our ToS and if it continues it will lead to a suspension and possibly even a permanent ban.

I am sure the RXP folk have an arrangement with Garmin with regards to their updates. That's between them and Garmin.

Folks, I thought it would be easy to find a similar list for Australian GPS approaches. You know, like the FAA one for the US.

But it seems I was talking in trance, because I can't find one. Do you have a tip for Australia and perhaps NZ? :huh:

I see a lot of official stuff on how to fly those approaches or about the different name conventions (in regard to the US names), but no list like 'these airports offer GPS approaches'. I know that a lot Australian ones actually do, that's from my tour around Oz in the small prop planes. GPS (LNAV) and older NDB was rather common.