Sign in to follow this  
traveyb

Night time panel setup

Hey, I've tried searching for this but can't seem to find the answer.

What is the proper setup for panel floods/lights for night time flying?

First of all flight deck lighting should be comfortable for pilot.

I noticed that panel lights are usually turned on to full power (sometimes even at day). Flood lights are set as comfortable. Dome white are usually turned on at night on ground and turned off on take off and approach to prevent windows reflections. Map, chart, CBs, light test and dim switch used as needed.

Hey, I've tried searching for this but can't seem to find the answer.

What is the proper setup for panel floods/lights for night time flying?

Whatever you want it to be pal. As long as you can see what you are doing inside and out that is all that matters

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Brilliant thanks, didn't know if there were rules per say regarding the flood lights and night time vision (for example on approach)

Brilliant thanks, didn't know if there were rules per say regarding the flood lights and night time vision (for example on approach)

Rule = Not to bright you can't see outside and not to dark that you can't see inside.

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

Rule = Not to bright you can't see outside and not to dark that you can't see inside.

Haha. Well put.

Kyle Rodgers

One addition here: I understand that in night time ops near thunderstorms you can turn all the lights up to max brightness to minimise the effect of flash-blindness from a nearby lightning strike.

IIRC the MD11 has a STORM switch that put all lights to max for that purpose (or am I thinking of the 744?)

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

IIRC the MD11 has a STORM switch that put all lights to max for that purpose (or am I thinking of the 744?)

Several aircraft do, MD-11 included. Just turn on dome light on 737.