Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Quick questions re: Sim Savvy/Massive Scenery

Hey all,

a few quick questions:

1) When run from an external drive as provided, is there any impact (either positive or negative) to performance?

2) Is there a basic install guide? I'd like to know how this would be set up and can't seem to find one.

3) Are there "optimal settings", or is it largely dependent upon the computer running it?

thanks,

Andrew

Yes, you will most likely have greatly reduced performance in FSX running from an external drive. If it is USB 3.0 you can do it, USB 2.0 probably will be a very noticible reduction in loading times and updates.

Depending on how much scenery you have and whether it is the 1.0 m or 0.5 HD stuff you can just move that state or so to your fastest internal drive for your flight. Or you can divide some of the really big states in to pieces and only load what you need at the time - like Texas or California.

You need to tell us about your setup then I can write you a simple install and operation guide. Win7? Where is FSX? Size of your HD, type, GB used/free? PC specs - RAM - CPU

Basically you create scenery folders and place the bgl files there, then go to the global scenery library in FSX and install them. Win7 has a few quirks but is super easy to set up and get going. Once installed, it is just a matter of checking the box or unchecking the box and setting the priority should you add more scenery.

Generally, you can set your sliders to the lower settings (Left) with photoscenery depending on what other programs you are running like GEX, UTX, etc.

I have the 48 states in the HD version and really enjoy the real world look. The water masking is generally awful but I am just about to agree that it is not going to get any better anytime soon.

Search and read the Avsim review for some details. PM me with specific questions.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

hi,

I have not noticed any impact when using SS from the external drive. Installation is easy, you simply add a scenery folder with the addon scenery menu. I can confirm what Larry (SS) have experienced, scenery settings don't have much impact on performance. The good thing is that there is no autogen (I don't miss it) so the FPS is really good. Scenery objects do show though. The best setting that I've found is to have the zoom at 0.3 and move the eyepoint forward to read the gauges properly. It sharpens the scenery rendition.

I've emailed Larry to ask what type of drive it is.

Let us know! SimSaavy is on my "big item" add-on list.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I am creating my own water makes for coastal and lake regions. It is a bit laborious but worth it.

Petraeus

Thanks Ray -

I've emailed Larry to ask what type of drive it is.

It will be a USB 3.0 if you got it directly from Larry. I didn't read that in your post with your 3 questions. Provided you have a PC that uses the USB 3.0 it will work fine, most PC's still do not have 3.0 and the drive is defaulted down to ver 2.0 and that wil impact your performance.

Big question: Does your PC have USB 3.0 capability?

Ray

I am creating my own water makes for coastal and lake regions. It is a bit laborious but worth it.

Care to try a sample along the Mississippi Sound? Like Bay Saint Louis to Ocean Springs for a test.

Cheers,

Ray

1. I have noticed no performance issues whatsoever running from the external drive Larry provided.

2. There is a basic install guide that comes with the scenery. It's real easy. Just like adding any other add on scenery - add it in the scenery library.

3. As for settings, I asked the same and there really weren't any specific settings mentioned either. As stated, there is no autogen so that alone increases performance no matter what your current settings are. I think you can increase the LOD radius setting in fsx.cfg for better clarity too. I don't remember the exact setting name to this though but it controls how far away texture is detailed. By default it is 4.5 I think and I have mine at 6.5. I think I've read where people have gone higher than that but 6.5 looks great to me.

Other than the lack of autogen, the scenery is EXCELLENT! It adds to that level of realism again where now I am seeing actually what I would be seeing out the window if I were really flying. No more repeat patterns across the country any more and the colors are much more varying and vivid vs even GEX in my opinion. The lack of autogen you really only notice at low altitude and definitely on the airport as everything is pretty flat looking when you're on the ground. But, that's with photo scenery in general and not SimSavvy's fault. All photo real is like that due to the way scenery is layered in FS.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Thanks all-

Purchased.

Yes, Larry confirmed USB 3.0.

I don't have to be sold on photoscenery... used TileProxy for a while and really liked it. I have a few custom airports and the details remain.

I like trees but don't like the way-out-of-scale houses. Anyway, once at 2500' it looks pretty real anyway...

cheers

Andrew

I don't have to be sold on photoscenery... used TileProxy for a while and really liked it. I have a few custom airports and the details remain.

Why did you change from TileProxy? I've toyed with the idea of getting that in the interim.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Care to try a sample along the Mississippi Sound? Like Bay Saint Louis to Ocean Springs for a test.

Cheers,

Ray

For a test of what?

Petraeus

Why did you change from TileProxy? I've toyed with the idea of getting that in the interim.

Gregg,

Several reasons. Mainly, because it meant I had whatever US scenery I wanted, in a higher quality, whenever I wanted, without having to download. And, without being at the mercy of an internet connection. It's there, in one place, and I own it; no hassles with servers or anything either.

Tileproxy is no longer supported and hasn't been in a long time. It was great to use, but also a hassle to set up.

Last - perhaps most importantly - it supports a guy doing a great job and making relatively little. Personally, I think he's do better to sell it in segments to allow the people who only want a portion of the US to get it, and also to allow people who don't want to spend that much all at once but still maybe wish to eventually have the whole set.

Tileproxy is nice, but I like the idea of supporting a small company and owning what I'm using.

cheers

Andrew

To see if it can be fixed. I have plenty of time to devote to such a project, I would just like to see a small area fixed in FSX to make sure it is a worthwhile project. I'm sure everyone that has SimSavvy scenery would like to have some of the water masking corrected to some degree.

Ray

To see if it can be fixed. I have plenty of time to devote to such a project, I would just like to see a small area fixed in FSX to make sure it is a worthwhile project. I'm sure everyone that has SimSavvy scenery would like to have some of the water masking corrected to some degree.

Ray

Ok. Maybe in a couple of weeks. I am on vacation right now, and away from all my files.

Petraeus