Sign in to follow this  
Guest BeaverDriver

WAAS Approaches?

Guest BeaverDriver

Question removed - not applicable to this airplane since G1000 can't be programmed

Just the title alone is completely applicable. I was wondering the same thing myself, but it looks like another Carenado glorified GPS.

Of course everyone will have to decide what they like most in a model and buy accordingly. I know it's "only" $33 or so but I can't understand why anyone would model a plane with advanced avionics and then not model the advanced avionics. It appears it's just another piece of eye candy with little functionality.

A roundabout way of accomplishing this, is to add an RXP 430, or 530 as a popup.

That way you can enter a flightplan and select a WAAS approach which will be

transferred to the G1000 MFD, if you have LinkGPS=On set in the rxpgns.ini file

for this airplane.. B)

Bert

Or, create a flight plan with the FSX flight planner, it shows up in the mfd. It's a cheap way around entering one manually.

Guest BeaverDriver

True Bert. And now you have an $83 airplane. PMDG is cheap compared with that!

@austindk - yep. So you "miss" at Sibling Corners because it's gone below minimums. Now instead of punching in your M/A procedure in the G1000 as you would do IRL, then programming or recalling your course to your alternate, you're pausing FSX, opening the flight planner, building a new plan to Coffin's Corners (your alternate), loading it into the sim, closing the menu, and hitting the unpause button.

To both, I reiterate the poster's comments right below mine - why do an airplane with a G1000 if you aren't going to program the G1000 to be a G1000? If it's just going to be eye candy, why not save the $30 (or $80 if you want full functionality - I now understand why some of the people here are so adamant about having RXP compatibility with Carenado airplanes - you NEED it) and simply fly the old 182 or 206 or 210 instead, especially if you already have the RXP gauges? I can get a pic of a G1000 on Airliners.net for nothing, if all I'm going to have is something to look at. Anyway, enjoy.

True Bert. And now you have an $83 airplane. PMDG is cheap compared with that!

This was actually meant as a workaround for folks who already own an RXP GNS..

Bert

Or, create a flight plan with the FSX flight planner, it shows up in the mfd. It's a cheap way around entering one manually.

That's fine until you want to change something in flight or (see the title of this post) fly a WAAS approach in the first place, which is what Bert's workaround buys you.

I now understand why some of the people here are so adamant about having RXP compatibility with Carenado airplanes - you NEED it

OK, that's more than a bit unfair. I like RXP because I get to spend the money once and reuse across a lot of planes (not just Carenado - I have my RXP's in Carenado, RealAir and Milviz planes ALL of which feature basic, limited GPS's) and not have to pay for more in-depth GPS development for each plane. Contrast that with the G1000 situation where no similar solution exists. I have the Flight1 Mustang, but I'd basically have to repay part of the G1000 cost again to get it in their 182. Or, I can go with the Carenado, pay less and get less G1000 functionality. Neither is ideal. THAT's why I like RXP support and wish there was a similar solution for the 1000.

That said, I think we're in agreement - I just don't quite get what market Carenado was trying to hit with this plane, but I know it's not me.

Scott

Do you mean a glideslope indicator? We'vedone that with the A36.

Bert

Guest BeaverDriver

@Scott - I wasn't slamming RXP or RXP owners. Far from it. They are the best add-on gauges out there. I just meant in reference to Carenado planes they were almost mandatory of late because what Carenado puts in is nothing more than a dressed up default GPS. Unfortunately, in the case of the G1000, you're taking a step back in technology going to the Garmin 530's or 430's. Adding those in completely negates having a G1000, but if the G1000 isn't a G1000, then you're still further ahead. Like the other poster said - if you're going to build a G1000 airplane, why not program a G1000 to do what a G1000 is supposed to do. As others have indirectly pointed out, it's not exactly like it's not been done before. To not do it means you're paying for eye candy and not functionality. That's my beef. In any event, my RXP comment wasn't a slam against you, RXP owners or RXP themselves (better not be - I had them myself for FS9. I hate it when I slam myself :P ).

Unfortunately, in the case of the G1000, you're taking a step back in technology going to the Garmin 530's or 430's.

Yep, completely agree. But I don't find what Carenado's done with other planes a problem in any way - it's what most are doing and I don't have a problem with it given the right pricing.

Scott

No, this plane does not offer LPV function in it's G1000 and does not show

a glideslope indicator in the PFD in GPS mode, only VLOC (ILS).

But if you would like to try a modified PFD version that will play nice with the RXP

GNS in LPV mode, send me a PM with your email address.

Bert