Sign in to follow this  
diajohn

Call signs in FSX with Ultimate Traffic.

I have a problem with RC using the generic callsigns for much of my AI Traffic such as Uniform instead of United, Juliet instead of JetBlue, etc. What could be the cause and the solution?

John

If you are talking about Ultimate Traffic 2 for FSX only it has been found that during departure ground operations it first uses a tail number and later assigns a flight number. UT2 also has its own way of generating ai.

In general set in UT the maximum distance for rendering ai aircraft. This has to do with RC seeing ai patterns soon enough when assigning departure and arrival runways.

You can examine how UT2 returns airline names by installing the free Traffic Look utility from here:

http://forum.simflig...ional-programs/

It runs in a stand-alone window outside of FS and shows the information returned by and status of ai running within FS. Here is an example of ground traffic:

You should see an airline name and if the aircraft is in operation a flight number attached. With UT2 you will first see the tail number.

RC has a table of airline names in its data folder called c4.csv that defines the airline name code (such as United), a script code for internal use that calls the wav file for that airline. If it is in that list it will speak that name. The second column (ID) in Traffic Look must match that list in RC. If not recognized RC will spell it using the phonetic alphabet code. As an example, RC has for United:

UNITED,UNITED,United Airlines Inc - USA,4, 1

For normal ai (not sure about UT2) in their aircraft.cfg each flightsim section of an airline owned aircrfaft has:

atc_airline=CONTINENTAL

as an example. It is UT2's job to supply this information at the appropriate time and FSUIPC will supply it to RC as demonstrated in the Traffic Look display.

The table rc uses is in its data folder at c4.csv. If you want to look at it make a safe copy of it to examine elsewhere outside of RC and FS asnd examine it with wordpad, etc, not a spreadsheet application.

Now in the example of ground traffic note that parked aircraft only has an airline radio code name or a tail number. A flight number is added to the airline radio code as the ai gets its cd and start moving. I am using UT2007 for FS9 which operates differently that UT2.

So check to see how your United ai is labeled in traffic look.

Note that some airlines in c4.csv can have two entries:

airtran,airtran,AirTran,0, 0

CITRUS,CITRUS,AirTran Airways Inc - USA,1, 1

Here citrus is the radio code for Air Tran.

In the RC scripts files (a set for controllers and a set for pilots) the airtran script has as its contents citrus and this is where the radio call is assigned to the airline name. However RC has provisions for returned radio call signs instead of airline name codes from what I see. If there was no airtran script than RC would use phonetic spelling.

Note that some airlines in c4.csv can have two entries:

airtran,airtran,AirTran,0, 0

CITRUS,CITRUS,AirTran Airways Inc - USA,1, 1

Here citrus is the radio code for Air Tran.

In the RC scripts files (a set for controllers and a set for pilots) the airtran script has as its contents citrus and this is where the radio call is assigned to the airline name. However RC has provisions for returned radio call signs instead of airline name codes from what I see. If there was no airtran script than RC would use phonetic spelling.

I had the same issue and edited my c4.csv file as stated here and it works perfectly now. There are a bunch of posts here on avsim that have the various airlines that are missing that you can just copy and paste from. That's what I did for the handful of airlines that I was missing(Alaska, United, American and a few others).

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Interesting in that I just uninstalled UT2 and installed UT for FSX and all of the call signs now work without changing anything in RC. Only problem is UT for FSX really cuts my frame rates. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure why UT cuts your frame rates but it makes sense that the call signs work now. UT2 changed the way they do their traffic. In UT, you actually generated a traffic file via the UT interface that was then used by FS. Now, in UT2, it completey controls the traffic and "injects" it into FSX. When it injects flights, sometimes they are using slightly different versions of the airline's name and RC4 doesn't know about those different variations. That's what you're doing when you add them to c4.csv. You're mapping these new variations for RC4.

It's really not that hard to edit the c4.csv and like I said in my previous post, if you search here in the forum, there are plenty of posts containing the lines that need to be entered for each airline. I'd go back to UT2 and edit your c4.csv.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

The last version for FS9 was UT2007. All following versions were for FSX. The Flight1 page states UT FSX edition has been discontinued.

Now United is in the RC database. Perhaps it is reported differently by the UT2 versions. It appears that to keep frame rates up UT2 has the ai distance rendering setting as less ai results in better FS performance. I don't know if the UT for FSX version had that option.

I use FS9 and UT 2007 edition and have not had any problems with the stable airlines. This suggests that your version of UT2 is reporting the airline names differently which is why I suggest you try to see how ai are reported using traffic look.

If you do decide to edit your c4.csv file make a backup of the original and also back up your rcv3.dat file in a safe place. A bad read of the data files could cause a corruption in rcv3.dat which has your license data and your last status data such as your last flight and pln path. Without that RC will not start generating usually an error 62.

As ai traffic apps get updated mimicking real world mergers, etc, identifications can get changed beyond the released fixed airline RC database which might not have the current identifications.

In this forum at the request of a few users I have provided editing instructions for adding new airlines when possible if .wav files exist. There is also a section in the RC manual about recording new callsigns and editing data files for those that wish to do so. It is not trivial.

For your test, try parking at a United hub and run traffic look to see the identification reported.

I parked at KDEN and also KJFK using UT2 and Traffic Look. The traffic look showed the correct names. I also checked the assignments in UT2 for the various AI a/c types for several airlines. At KDEN, for example, it changes Frontier to Foxtrot, United to Uniform, etc. I flew today from KJFK to KBOS with UT2 and it gave me JetBlue as Juliet, United as Uniform and US Air as Uniform. As I mentioned, the C4 must be correct, and appears to be on inspection, since they work fine in UT for FSX. There should be a solution somewhere. I hope.

Try running a log when parked starting debug while just sitting at the airport. In the log there should be a table of detected ai. If it is there see how they are labeled for name and status.

As you noted there must be a difference in how UT2 is returning calls compared to UT for FSX. It could also be timing issues where RC is only getting the first character of the call sign.

Be sure your FSUIPC4 is current as their were improvements in timing issues in later versions.

RC should be run in 32 bit mode just to insure returned strings are not padded. FSX also remains a 32 bit application. The FSX service packs have to do with multi threading. UT2 should also be running in 32 bit mode. Just a few guesses on my part.

In the log you can use "chatter" as a search key. Examine the log in word or wordpad as it is too big for notepad.

I ran the log and it seems okay to me but the same problems exist. Odd as British Airways, Luftansa and Air France are okay. I thought the longer callsigns could be a problem. On the other hand United as Uniform, JetBlue as Juliet and similar are still coming up with the generic callsign. I have a log if it would help.

Zip up your log and send it to jd@jdtllc.com explaining your situation.

Did it continue long enough to show the table frequently created when RC polls ai status? If you find that section post just that section here. You may have to start a flight and use RC to get threw take-off and into departure. Than alt-tab to RC after the chatter error occurs and hit the quit button to save a shorter log. Do that before quitting FS or the log will not save. Then go into your RC folder and rename the .log file to maybe RCcallsignerror081712.log so it does not get overwritten. You can search toward the end of the log for the ai table section when you noticed the chatter error.

We want to see how RC received the call sign in question. That will take into consideration any system timing problems. It would also help to add to your AVSIM profile your system description. When this error occurs what other apps are running?

I assume you have Interact with AI checked, AI chatter checked, and Prerecorded Chatter not checked to keep RC performance up. Also the RC option to display text should be off.

Hello :)

I have exactly the same problem as John with UT2, some of the callsigns are always generic as November instead of Nor Shuttle. Is there any solution?

Thanks in advance!

Problem solved..it seems that UT2 don´t use the callsigns in aircraft.cfg for each ai. Norwegian for example is Nor Shuttle in aircraft.cfg and that is the callsign that RC4 should recognize, but UT2 uses "Norwegian". I discovered that when looking in Traffic Look. So for Norwegian I edited the C4.csv like this

NORWEGIAN,NOR SHUTTLE,,0, 0

and guess what, it works!. I hear Nor Shuttle again :lol: