Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Concorde X by FSLabs hard to learn?

Always loved the Concorde and still consider myself very young to FSX.

Does this plane come with any sort of tutorial or learning missions? Does it have a very comprehensive Kneeboard Checklist to follow through?

I'm sure it comes with a huge manual to read but honestly, I learn better by doing and hope this plane might walk you through a bunch of it's procedures.

Also some feedback on the plane package quality as a whole would be nice. :)

Comments?

Hard to master? Yes but you are flying a Concorde with one person and simulating almost every system.

The Tutorial is excellent and if you follow it a few times you should be ok.

Honestly there is no better satisfaction in flight sim than a well executed Concorde flight.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Honestly there is no better satisfaction in flight sim than a well executed Concorde flight.

I'm guessing some PMDG 737 NGX fans would disagree. ;)

With respect Concorde is very different to any Boeing or Airbus aircraft.

Compare take-off speeds. 737 - 145kts average; Concorde - 190kts.

Landing speeds. 737 - 130kts; Concorde - 160kts and no flaps to help slow you down!

Climb speed. 737 - 280kts or mach 0.78; Concorde; 400kts to FL260 and then reheats taking you from mach 0.95 to FL500 and mach 2 in less than 15 minutes!

Quite challenging I'm sure you agree.

And to the OP you might find this DVD helpful when learning how to fly her. http://www.simflight...e-training-dvd/

I don't have a fast enough PC to enjoy the FS Labs ConcordeX but once I get a new system I look forward to many enjoyable flights overtaking a 747 (and 737) at mach 1.2 :biggrin: It's a first-class package and you won't be disappointed.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Depends what satisfies you... if you are looking at the Concorde then you know the systems are way older than the NGX, and i guess there is a different level of satisfaction when completing a flight where fuel pumps are manual, you don't have an fmc to calculate top of descent or approach speeds and your final approach is not looking at a vref of around 140 knots but more like 180 or approach190.

I saw a post from someone who said the FSL Concorde was like counting even numbers backwards from1000 while skateboarding backwards down a flight of stairs, all whilst trying to accurately fire a machine gun!

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk 2

Well I can speak with some authority as I own both. I get great satisfaction from a successful NGX flight but its just different, you can relax in cruise but on the Concorde you are engaged for the full flight, any lack of concentration, even over a 4 hour flight will result in a mistake, especially if you fly using the INS and control all 11 fuel tanks yourself.

The ITVV DVD's are not mandatory to fly Concorde but they really add to your understanding the appreciation of how complete a sim you have with the FSLabs product.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Agreed with Mark, although that satisfaction thingy will always be based on preferences. But the FMC stuff flies itself most of the time, while the combination of INS nav and manual fuel/CG management on the Concorde alone is a huge addition to the overall workload.

I can jump in the 737 on short hops and without much planning, I can't do this that easy with the Concorde, which, to a certain extend, even limits her flying time on my rig. It just takes more time and patience for me to get her running, flying and landing.

Another thumbs up on the ITVV DVDs. Great set and worth the money. There also is a learning set out from http://www.flightdeckproductions.com/ which may help a lot since the Concorde systems are not based on the knowledge you may already have from other 'normal' planes.

So in that regard, I'd even say that she is the hardest plane to learn in FSX. While the other stuff may be like 'if you've seen one, you've seen them all' at times, the SST offers so many new things and therefore challenges.

Thinking I will probably buy this but if anyone that has this plane would comment if it looks and works properly in the new DX10, I'd appreciate it.

Thinking I will probably buy this but if anyone that has this plane would comment if it looks and works properly in the new DX10, I'd appreciate it.

ConcordeX is NOT compatible with FSX DX10 preview mode. You have to turn it off while using the ConcordeX.add-on.

FWIW, It looks cool enough and works properly even without the DX10 preview mode!

ConcordeX is NOT compatible with FSX DX10 preview mode. You have to turn it off while using the ConcordeX.add-on.

FWIW, It looks cool enough and works properly even without the DX10 preview mode!

Really?! I'm actually shocked. A $70 plane doesn't work in DX10, that's kinda poor. So not compatible meaning its like some cheap addon FS9 plane where the textures don't show up properly or is there something else? What exactly is the issue if one uses DX10 with this plane?

BTW I want DX10 and will avoid DX9 as much as possible due to the huge frame rate increase I get in DX10 mode.

I am not so sure about it not being DX10 compatible. I will try it out and report back....I am sure I flew in this mode after I following the advice on the DX10 thread.

Mark W   CYYZ      

Really?! I'm actually shocked. A $70 plane doesn't work in DX10, that's kinda poor. So not compatible meaning its like some cheap addon FS9 plane where the textures don't show up properly or is there something else? What exactly is the issue if one uses DX10 with this plane?

BTW I want DX10 and will avoid DX9 as much as possible due to the huge frame rate increase I get in DX10 mode.

I am not so sure about it not being DX10 compatible. I will try it out and report back....I am sure I flew in this mode after I following the advice on the DX10 thread.

Not sure what the incompatibilities are but here's a link to a thread from the ConcordeX forum site that was answered a couple of weeks ago on Aug 31st:

http://forums.flight.../4208-dx10-fsx/

Incidentally, I get DX9.0c frame rates averaging 25... Hi 40, Lo 20 with all the FSX graphics maxed out and a considerable amount of Ultimate Terrain X USA enabled... I do disable the moving highway autos, but leave the airport traffic maxed out. My Win7 machine could handle DX11 if they would ever support it.

Really?! I'm actually shocked. A $70 plane doesn't work in DX10, that's kinda poor.

Why would we choose to support something that was only intended as a preview in FSX, and on top of that - is broken?

You might argue that some recent hacks have fixed any apparent issues - the realty is the "DX10 Preview" in FSX has some fundamental failings in memory management that MS broke and failed to address in any of the Service Packs that followed. Therefore FSX DX10 Preview mode is not compatible with our product - if Microsoft choose to fix the issues in their "DX10 Preview" for FSX, it'll work fine.

As a footnote and to answer your original question - Concorde-X is a very complex simulation and requires a great deal of learning.

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg

Also FSLabs Concorde was of course released way before these hacks came and fixed most apparent issues, before that I can't imagine why anyone would have wanted to fly using DX10 with all the flashing runways and other issues.

Personally I think it's a great product, when I have enough time at some point I will go and learn how to actually operate it.

I flew the Concorde X in DX10 for a while. That's from before the hacks. I don't recall some downside with that and I guess all that Andrew is saying is that it's not supported. Means if you run into trouble while in DX10, they can't help you much.

So whenever that would happen, I'd switch to DX9, tried again, and looked if the trouble still exists independently of the DX10 mode. With that, support is able to help you.

But the Conc X is a stable release, so don't expect much, if anything on the trouble. She takes quite a bit from the FSX resources. Doesn't mean that fps are bad, but that the highmemfix=1 entry is highly recommended and that the RAM usage isn't that low.

Apart from that, one of the best planes in FSX. For me, the best. Me is a Concorde fan for sure. :wub: