Sign in to follow this  
RoboRay

Kerbal Space Program

I don't remember who mentioned this here in the forum a while back, but thank you!

Being a huge fan of space flight, I can't believe I hadn't heard of this before. Even in it's current alpha state, it's fantastic. It's more or less the old "Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space" game on steroids.

You design rockets, you fly rockets, you sometimes often fail spectacularly, you deal with real orbital dynamics, you can land on other worlds, and you might even make it home alive.

If you do everything right.

Dj1cC.jpg

tVePu.jpg

JbKAK.jpg

mDuOy.jpg

fdotA.jpg

dmLr1.jpg

y1QzJ.jpg

Blonw.jpg

edWWd.jpg

EfnNW.jpg

CIgdQ.jpg

ccCPJ.jpg

B4vUH.jpg

OT6zU.jpg

These aren't my own pictures, by the way... I can manage a low orbit, but that's about it so far.

But in spite of finally having FSX running pretty well, I think that this may just be my new sim.

• Upvote 1

Does look like fun.

I saw the change in your Sig and was laughing. :P

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/download.php

Nothing to do with Flight, but I think a lot of disenfranchised Flight Alumni are at loose ends right now, searching for something else to capture their attention (and not to enamored with the idea of simply returning to the status quo)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I think this kerbal thing is interesting, but there is still a lot of Flight's domain that I haven't discovered yet. It's interesting to just jump in one of the planes and head out in a particular direction. I always see something I haven't seen before.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I always see something I haven't seen before.

Roger that!

RoboRoy, I'd like to thank you for the fact that I have not eaten for the last 6 hours. This program has consumed me, its great for my OCD. Now if I could just figure out why my parachute keeps deploying just after lift off. Not good!

RoboRoy, I'd like to thank you for the fact that I have not eaten for the last 6 hours. This program has consumed me, its great for my OCD. Now if I could just figure out why my parachute keeps deploying just after lift off. Not good!

LOL

Make sure the icon for your parachute is all the way up at the top of the "staging" stack, so that it is the last thing to be activated as you run through your staging sequence. The VAB crews normally assign things in a logical order, but they do screw things up from time to time, especiallyif you added the parachute as an afterthought at the end of the design process.

I tried to make this thread somewhat related to Flight but wasn't successful so I'm moving it to its proper place.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Microsoft Flight Forum" to "Orbiter and Space Sims". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Almost a better tutorial then the in-game one.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'm really having a blast with this. Its a great mix of humor & simplicity yet still complex enough but without being too technical. So far I've got one ship stuck in orbit with its Kerbilnaut drifting in space a couple of kms behind. Another ship launched with way too much velocity and is now orbiting the Sun some 20,000,000 kms out. Yet another ship made it to Muns orbit then ran out of fuel before spectacularly crashing into the Munar surface.

So far I'm 0 for 3 (that actually left the planet). It would be cool if you could launch bits into orbit, then assemble an interplanetary ship there. And also be able to launch a rescue mission for my poor Kerbilnaut drifting in orbit. Bring up a fuel tank so he can de-orbit.

Congratulations! I have reached orbit with various ships, but they imposed a pretty punishing 16g's of acceleration on my poor Kerbilnauts; I wonder if they would have made it in real life.

The moon seems out of reach, so far. :P

Devons rig

I made it to the Mun with the third attempted landing of my single-crew "Wasp" lander!

UEEy3.png

We shall not discuss the fates of Wasp I and Wasp II, other than to say they both led to minor redesigns for the lander. This is the first one that I got to try the "re-ascent" stage (jettisoning the side pods after lift-off, once their tanks are empty and returning home on just the central part), and Jeb did make it back alive.

Wanting to get a full team down to the surface, I redesigned the Wasp III into the larger "Hornet" lander, featuring the three-seat command capsule. Here is an EVA on my low-orbit test-flight.

AyuJI.png

4sJ0d.png

I left Hornet I in LKO for a long-duration mission and as a future rendevous target.

Meanwhile I sent Hornet II on it's way to the Mun. I've just completed my orbital insertion and am looking for a good place to land.

Y8esW.png

To be continued...

• Upvote 1

Gratz! ^_^

Devons rig

The landing was cutting it a little close... I barely took my eyes off the fuel gauges!

ql36U.png

Group picture before setting out to explore.

xc6G8.jpg

One giant leap for Kerbalkind? ^_^

Devons rig