Sign in to follow this  
asanal

Out of Memory

Ok, I made some further testing.

I tried rising the third value to 2048 and even to 4096 with no results.

Seraching in google for the string SharedSection=1024,20480 you can find some applications requiring to increase the third value to 2048, and theese application (print o fax servers) make use of multiple user connections, so don't know how changing this parameter can affect the use of VAS by a single user (as in FSX/Prepar3D).

So, for my system this parameter maybe can provide some help (if any), but don't solve the OOM problem.

The only way I found at the moment is to reduce LOD_Radius and/or autogen (and still have to test AA reduction).

Hi,

it's like a miracle. I have 8GB RAM installed and got at 54% usage, regularily, OOM errors. Now I can fly ORBX scenery (Seattle, Vancouver) with most sliders far right and up to 62% RAM usage without any problem. No more blurry textures, even at high RAM usage.

Thank you for publishing this tweak.

Bruno

Digging this up from a shallow grave...but I also want to thank those that brought this tweak to light!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Flying from KATL to KMIA last night I received the dreaded OOM message. I was only 15nm out from the runway :( 

I am running P3D, PMDG737NGX, FS2CREW , EZDOK, default scenery.  

Tonight I will try the Microsoft OOM fix, I wil lower my LOD Radius, I will install FSUIPC for the first time so I can save flights (although not sure how PMDG and FS2CREW will like this)

Not sure I will remove the Bufferpools line in the cfg file, may use that as last resort.

I look forward to the day when P3D is 64bit

I tried Xplane the other day and was not impressed.  I could not get my CH Yoke to work, I am sure you can with enough tinkering but I was impatient. 

Thanks for all the tips above. 

Having Global Texture Resolution set to 2048 frees up VAS - did you see my P3D optimization guide - posted on here.  I should post it again as the main subject

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/403544-almost-thereset-forget-settings-for-eyefinity-moderately-older-systems-docs-soon/

Link to pdf http://www.balanceduniverse.com/avsim/p3d/docs/P3D_Guide_v05.pdf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I used Process Explorer and right clicked on the running P3D process to get this data ( see attached screenshot).

Is this the Virtual Size to monitor (approaching 4GB limit) or is it somewhere else in Process Explorer?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I used Process Explorer and right clicked on the running P3D process to get this data ( see attached screenshot).

Is this the Virtual Size to monitor (approaching 4GB limit) or is it somewhere else in Process Explorer?

Hey Vonmar,

Run Process Explorer - Go to View ->> Select Columns --> Process Memory Tab ---> Select Virtual Size.

That will get you the Virtual Size - and you can see it while running Prepar3d.

For some reason Prepar3d eats up Virtual Memory if Global Textures is set to 4096 - set it 2048 or 1024.  You will see the difference.

Have a great day

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

SKYwolf,

Thanks for the additional information.

I checked my fsx and p3d cfg .. I do not have an entry for Global ... the word Global is not there.

What is the default value?

I have A Testure MaxLoad program set to 4096 for PMDG737 ... but that is not "Global"

Best Regards,

SKYwolf,

Thanks for the additional information.

I checked my fsx and p3d cfg .. I do not have an entry for Global ... the word Global is not there.

What is the default value?

I have A Testure MaxLoad program set to 4096 for PMDG737 ... but that is not "Global"

Texture Max Load is the Global Textures - set it to 2048

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048

If you really want to squeeze more VAS set it to 1024 - but 2048 is a good balance with other high quality addons.

That will free up some much needed VAS in your Prepar3d.

See my previous post with link to PDF - I do explain how I discovered this VAS issue with Prepar3d.

Ok,

I added TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048 for P3D's cfg file.

As I recall I used the texture max load editor program because FSX kept changing the value back to 1024 (?) in the cfg file.

Will the same happen in P3D ... it will go back to 1024 and I will have to edit it again?

Can FSX use texture max load editor program set to 4096?

I will soon read you PFD book.

Best Regards,

Ok,

I added TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048 for P3D's cfg file.

As I recall I used the texture max load editor program because FSX kept changing the value back to 1024 (?) in the cfg file.

Will the same happen in P3D ... it will go back to 1024 and I will have to edit it again?

Can FSX use texture max load editor program set to 4096?

I will soon read you PFD book.

In Prepar3d - any changes you do via the menu to settings will change your IFRonly Settings - it will change its value from 0 to something.  That will kill the AI traffic.  Texture Max settings will stay the same, all you have to do is set

IFROnly=0 in [TrafficManager] setting

Hope this helps.

Better atill, download VMMap from SysInternals to really see what's happening.

In Prepar3d - any changes you do via the menu to settings will change your IFRonly Settings - it will change its value from 0 to something.  That will kill the AI traffic.  Texture Max settings will stay the same, all you have to do is set

IFROnly=0 in [TrafficManager] setting

Hope this helps.

Ok,

Will do and I will read you pdf instructions also.

Thanks again.

Better atill, download VMMap from SysInternals to really see what's happening.

Got it ... thanks.

Now I will have to spend some time ... seeing what it does.

Best Regards,

VMMap says I have 2.7GB free ... I hope it is the good usable memory!

Best Regards,

Hello,

i made a lot of other tests about VAS from my last post, and more or less I can confirm all the indications written up to now.

I have only to add another possible cause of VAS usage:

Having more than one scenery layer activated for the same region can waste VAS resources, as the simulator draws only the last upper layer but load in memory also the previous (unless the developer of the last included a big exclude file for everything under, that is an exception more than a rule).

Fo example, if you have Austria Professional or Switzerland professional or some detailed local scenery, you can conveniently deactivate underlying UTX Europe layers, expecially the roads, consuming alone nearly 500Mbyte.

Same thing if you are using photoreals or Orbx, deactivate underneath unneeded layers of the same country.

This, plus avoiding excessive HD textures for airplanes, plus reducing LOD_Radius to 4.5 when using NGX, solved almost all OOM problems for me.