Sign in to follow this  
kannwar

No vsync

Hi all I have a GTX 580 with drivers 301.24 and in DirectX 10 mode vSync isn't working and I get a lot of tearing. I have my FSX profile setup according to Word Not Allowed's guide with vSync forced at 1/2 screen refresh rate. Works fine in DX9 but not DX10 mode. Is this typical? I'm using Shader Fix 3.0.0 from Steve too and Windows 7 64bit Pro.

FPS limited to 30? Also did you follow Paul's guide pinned at the top of this forum in regards to Inspector settings? He also has settings for your fsx.cfg.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I've got the same problem screen tears as well. I've followed Paul's guide to a "T" and while the sim looks amazing, the tearing is annoying enough to be a factor in staying with DX10.

I did notice that the tearing found within the VC of the aircrafts is worse with the default C172, for some reason. It's considerably less with several of my payware airplanes, such as the Katana 4X and the Baytower RV7. But the exterior scenery will still appear to undulate like a wave, whenever I'm moving the view. Sometimes not much, sometimes very much.

I'll continue experimenting and see if I can find a way to clear it up. Once you taste the DX10 visuals, it's hard to go back to DX9... ;)

Alexander Alonso

We need to see proc speed in the Computer Specs (in the side window), and I would ask that you post your fsx.cfg's, leaving out the "Trusted", "Multiplayer" and the sections that don't have to do with performance.

I know it takes work - the whole of tweaking and posting, and waiting is a pain in the butt, but It's impossible to give any sensible kind of recommendation without going through the motions.

Thanks.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul,

Just want to thank you for all of your help and time that you've put in with the DX10 project. It's truly appreciated.

My PC specs are in the side window link, but here you go:

Processor: i5-3570K Ivy Bridge

• Processor Speed: 3.8GHz
  • RAM: G.SKILL Trident X 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2400
  • Video Board Manufacturer: EVGA
  • Video Board Model: Nvidia 460 2
  • Mother Board: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64
  • Joystick: MS Force Feedback 2
  • Yoke: Saitek
  • Rudder Pedals: Saitek

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693500672

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672

D3D10=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

NUM_LIGHTS=8

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=1

AC_SELF_SHADOW=1

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

IMAGE_QUALITY=0

See_Self=1

Text_Scroll=1

MultiSamplesPerPixel=8 //DX-10

HIGHMEMFIX=1

STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=30 //DX-10

[Display]

ChangeTime=4.000000

TransitionTime=4.000000

ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255

ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64

NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255

NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64

InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0

InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0

InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255

InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128

InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255

InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128

InfoBrakesEnable=True

InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True

InfoPauseEnable=True

InfoSlewEnable=True

InfoStallEnable=True

InfoOverspeedEnable=True

BLOOM_EFFECTS=1

SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30

WideViewAspect=False

TextureMaxLoad=6 // Default: Can move upwards in multiples of 3 – top at 30

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30 // Must be 30 for Nvidia driver

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\WOA

ProcSpeed=17727

PerfBucket=7

HideMenuNormal=0

HideMenuFullscreen=1

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1 // Generally 0.12 – 0.22 gives very smooth flight: 0.33 is default, but may result in stuttering: Lower than 0.1 may give blurring of ground textures when flying fast at low level.

Maximized=1

Location=440,151,1480,929,\\.\DISPLAY1

[bufferPools]

BufferPools=1

PoolSize=10485760 // 10MB now – Sep 5: it was previously 8388608 (8MB)

RejectThreshold=1048576 // 1 MB RT now: it was previously 786432 (768KB)

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 v2.0]

Mode=1024x768x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

[sCENERY]

LENSFLARE=1

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=100

MESH_RESOLUTION=23

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_EFFECTS=5

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 v2.0.0]

Mode=1920x1080x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

***The "Display.device" shows up twice, once as v2.0 and once as v2.0.0. I've deleted them, one at a time but they both keep getting reentered automatically by FSX...

Alexander Alonso

WideViewAspect=False

Just helping Paul but this should be True. I think the problem is with the display settings.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

I think you are onto something. I switched the WideViewAspect to True and the scenery (external) views showed a significant improvement. I didn't notice any of the tearing / undulating that I had with it set to False.

The VC interior, though, still showed the tearing but I think that because of the fish-eye view angle provided by the False setting, it's not as distracting.

I thank you for pointing out that little setting difference, as I think I can work with the zoom/seat positions and come up with a spot that I can live with.

Back to tweaking! (but I'm definitely closer to the goal!)

Alexander Alonso

I'm glad it worked. I knew it had to be something small like that as everyone else was not seeing this issue. Make sure too you are using the native resolution on your monitor. Thanks for reporting back this potential fix.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

It's definitely better but unfortunately it didn't eliminate it completely. I found that it's more noticeable when flying over water, as opposed to land. I had initially flown over the Seattle area (inland) and barely noticed it there but when I switched to South Florida and out over Miami Beach, it definitely came back to haunt me. (the tearing / undulating effect.)

Back to the drawing board but definitely headed in the right direction.

My next project is to somehow clear up the fish-eye lens effect that I have, when using the WideViewAspect set to True. It's next to impossible to judge distances correctly. Not to mention the fact that when moving the view in the VC, it gives the affect that I'm sliding away from the direction that I'm looking towards. (for example, when flying the C172, when looking towards the left, my reference point shifts to the right, and it appears as if I was sitting on the right seat.) But that's a whole different thread... ;)

Thanks again!

Alexander Alonso

Hi Jim,

I switched the WideViewAspect to True and the scenery (external) views showed a significant improvement. I didn't notice any of the tearing / undulating that I had with it set to False.

I think that because of the fish-eye view angle

I think I can work with the zoom/seat positions and come up with a spot that I can live with.

You can modify the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg permanently, Alexander. Remember to reload the plane after modifying. The figures below are taken from the default Ces172.

[Views]

Eyepoint = -3.95, -0.85, 1.9 // (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

Have fun!

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hallo!

I have had no vsync too, so i have tearing wenn looking around in the Virtual cockpit.

The solution is an old programm named riva tuner.

After Installing (ignore an error message with driver validisation, it works on my win7 64 bit), there is an submenue by Riva tuner in the start menu of windows named "d3dOverrider".

In this programm add the fsx.exe. Its forces vsync. It works very good!! No tearing any more!

The d3dOverrider was for older Programms, where the programmers had forgotten to implement vsync. This is the case for the dx10 preview of the fsx.

Sorry my bad English!

Many greetings from Hamburg, Germany

Leonhardt

Hallo!

I have had no vsync too, so i have tearing wenn looking around in the Virtual cockpit.

The solution is an old programm named riva tuner.

After Installing (ignore an error message with driver validisation, it works on my win7 64 bit), there is an submenue by Riva tuner in the start menu of windows named "d3dOverrider".

In this programm add the fsx.exe. Its forces vsync. It works very good!! No tearing any more!

The d3dOverrider was for older Programms, where the programmers had forgotten to implement vsync. This is the case for the dx10 preview of the fsx.

Sorry my bad English!

Many greetings from Hamburg, Germany

Leonhardt

Wow I'd forgotten that program even existed it was so long ago. I'll Google around and see if I can find it but I'm surprised anyone would have it uploaded anywhere these days. If this works then I will continue my testing with DX10 to see if things run any better but otherwise this is a deal breaker as I'm not prepared to fly without Vsync.

Oh and to answer some earlier posts, yes I indeed followed the very helpful setup guide posted in the forum but alas to no avail. Thanks anyhow though I appreciate the help.

One thing that I notice with DX-10 is that when the flight loads to the screen (from the Free Flight screen), it's exactly like when changing the view from "windowed" to "Full screen". In other words, you get that window expanding effect, right when it loads up. I was thinking that perhaps it could be running in a kind of windowed format even though it's showing "full".

I know that when I fly in DX-9 and go to Windowed view, I get the same type of screen tearing that I'm seeing with "full" view DX-10. That's how I discovered the similarities. I was flying in DX-9 and had to access the EZ-dok module. So I went to windowed view and added an ezdok view and tested in windowed view and noticed the screen tearing.

Until I can solve this tearing problem in DX-10, I'm forced to stay with DX-9. (which is running pretty nicely anyway.)

Alexander Alonso

Hallo,

for me dx10 with d3dOverrider from the rivatuner is very good! Vsync works!

Alexander, Kannwar: I would be interested, whether you give it a try?

Greetings from Hamburg

Leonhardt