•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo

When will the X-Plane 10 64 bit be out? And does that mean that I can't use X-Plane 10 on a 64 bit yet? Thanks!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ap1

ap1

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 3 Months and 12 Days Ago.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

Do you guys know when the 64 bit of XPX will be out? And since there's no 64 bit right now, does that mean I can't use XPX on a 64 bit? Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 wb5okj

wb5okj

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 23 Days Ago.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

You can use X-Plane on a 64 bit machine now, runs just fine on my Windows 7 64 bit now. Makes no difference to FPS or quality whether 32 bit or 64 bit. To the sim it is all the same. We are expecting better performance when X-Plane is optimized for 64 bit, however that remains to be seen. :smile: If anyone knows when 64 bit will be released they aren't saying now, it is thought it will be in 10.20, but when remains unknown.
Donald E. Donovan
Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill known to man
The 1st is landing.

#3 rsexston

rsexston

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 4 Months and 3 Days Ago.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

XPX 64bit is expected with Version 10.20. There is no EDA for this yet.
You can certainly run the current version on a 64bit operating system.
I am running X-Plane 10.10RC1 on Windows 7 64bit.

#4 ap1

ap1

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 215 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 3 Months and 12 Days Ago.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

Thanks guy's!

Adam

#5 jcomm

jcomm

Member - 5,000+

• Members
  • 5,216 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 9 Months and 21 Days Ago.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:17 AM

Of course, the 64 bit version, when it arrives, will only run on a 64 bit OS... I wonder if from 10.20 on there will be two branches, one "legacy" for 32bit OSs and the new 64bit one (?)

J.Monteiro

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...
I'm grateful to All of those who make that Possible...

#6 FloB

FloB

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 11 Months and 29 Days Ago.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

Ben Supnik stated recently that there will be both, 32-bit and 64-bit versions (upgrade for free).
I expect the first 10.20 beta rather soon since they have been working on the 64bit conversion for quite a while and linux and windows versions were nearly completed a few weeks ago. I think it will depend mainly on how well the 10.10RC1 does and how soon they can finalize 10.10.

Flo

#7 drumsonly2002

drumsonly2002

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 7 Days Ago.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

What would be the benefits of the 64 bit X Plane? I am interested in flying helicopters with it.

#8 Luis_KMIA

Luis_KMIA

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 10 Months and 6 Days Ago.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

I can't wait for 10.2, but right now it works very well on my system.

LUIS LINARES

#9 JasonHarris

JasonHarris

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 8 Months and 1 Day

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

What would be the benefits of the 64 bit X Plane? I am interested in flying helicopters with it.

Who knows for sure but usually more can be done. There are a few features that we have been told not until things are 64 bit. Features that by themselves should not require 64 bit to function or even work well. Ob the while all these features add up and use memory so xplane could already be on the edge and need the extra ram to unleash all the additional bits and pieces.

DCS is a good example, when 64 bit came everything was smoother and more reliable.

#10 FloB

FloB

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 11 Months and 29 Days Ago.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

64 bit allows the developers to keep more different autogen objekts, terrain textures etc. in the ram (if your system has more than 3GB). It will thus allow to increase the level of detail, the view distance, the cloud coverage e.g. But of course all of that needs to be rendered and won't be a free lunch. Depending on your system this could mean lower FPS as well.

Flo

#11 drumsonly2002

drumsonly2002

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 7 Days Ago.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

64 bit allows the developers to keep more different autogen objekts, terrain textures etc. in the ram (if your system has more than 3GB). It will thus allow to increase the level of detail, the view distance, the cloud coverage e.g. But of course all of that needs to be rendered and won't be a free lunch. Depending on your system this could mean lower FPS as well.

Flo

So if you load your computer with a lot of fast ram, could the sim access it from such? If so would the sim run faster not having to rely on grabbing stuff from the hard drive? 64bits appears to have some benefits.

#12 Longranger

Longranger

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 8 Months and 5 Days Ago.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

If so would the sim run faster not having to rely on grabbing stuff from the hard drive? 64bits appears to have some benefits.

Not necessarily faster but at the moment the simulator can not use more than 3-4 GB. A single object more and it crashes. And they reach this limit at the moment.