Sign in to follow this  
Luis_KMIA

Laminar Research, Creators of X-Plane, Are Being Sued for Patent Infringement

I'm definitely supporting Laminar Research!

http://www.x-plane.com/x-world/lawsuit/

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Beat me to the the post. I cant believe they are being sued. Obviously the information we are getting is one sided, but this still seems like an absurd law suit.

Daniel Miller

I think it's kinda the worst possible timing... especially on the 11th anniversary of 9/11 (I don't want to bring it back up though). At least it wasn't the 10th. (I'm done talking about the past, looking towards the future)

Sent $10 in support

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Im getting paid tomorrow, so Ill send them a few bucks.

Im not a lawyer, but if someone sues you wrongfully, can you not submit a counterclaim for a frivolous lawsuit to cover court costs and lawyer fees?

Rob

Yet another classic example of one of the many things wrong with America. If this is allowed to continue the only people with any money will be the lawyers.

Everyone should become familiar with this stuff. Software patents are a HUGE waste of resources and do nothing but cost consumers money and put little guys out of business.

Not knowing the specifics of the code involved, but if many developers used Google's APIs and are now being sued for it, Google should do something to back the lawsuits. I know Apple has done this several times in similar situations.

Noah Bryant

I'll be sending some money to Laminar Research. Frankly this law suit enrages me. Classic example of human greed and stupidity. Give them all you've got Austin.

Yet another classic example of one of the many things wrong with America. If this is allowed to continue the only people with any money will be the lawyers.

Thats how it is now and they run the government!

I just deleted two posts; one that was libelous and the other that repeated it. Don't do that again folks.

i wonder if they have QCs to assist them....

QC=Queen's Counsel

basically lawyers working for rich people :/

or they have standard lawyers... :(

peter_13.png

Everyone should become familiar with this stuff. Software patents are a HUGE waste of resources and do nothing but cost consumers money and put little guys out of business.

Not knowing the specifics of the code involved, but if many developers used Google's APIs and are now being sued for it, Google should do something to back the lawsuits. I know Apple has done this several times in similar situations.

Very well stated Noah.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Donated $50 to the cause. I have a lot of respect for Austin, he has come a far way with a bit of brains and a lot of work. And anything to stop a patent troll.

I'm curious why everyone immediately takes Laminar's side in this issue. Did Uniloc try and obtain a license from Laminar and was told to pack sand prior to suing? I read the lawsuit and nobody sued the CEO or the developers individually, the suit is against Laminar. Hopefully Laminar was smart enough to get insurance to protect itself against errors and omissions.

I have no idea how Uniloc came to own the patent in question. But what if a smalll entrepreneur created the patent years ago and didn't have the resources to defend it. Maybe Uniloc stepped up and is helping the original developer against trolls that stole his technology. Maybe the original entrepreneur tried to work a deal with Android or Laminar and was told to no and the little guy was getting screwed.

There's always two sides to every story.

That's why there are courts, jurors and judges.