Sign in to follow this  
Anxu00

Airport Runway misaligned with ILS approach for default KSEA

Hi,

Newbie here. I was trying my hand with the LD-767 following Mike Ray tutorial doing an autoland on runway 16L using ILS. The plane lands fine, but it was landing on the grass strip parallel to the runway. This happens with the default KSEA airport. The AIRAC cycle is the default 0701 that came with LD767. Can someone tell me what is wrong?

Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Not sure if this is the problem but I would update the AIRAC. A while back there was a real world update to a lot of airports runway heading due to a shift in the magnetic north pole. Updating MAY fix it.

Jay

Interesting. I would have thought that the default KSEA should be closer to the January 2007 AIRAC shipped with the LDS-767. It looks exactly like the airport runway shifted to the left, if the scenery would shift to the right by a few meters, the plane would land right on top of it. I heard of airport changes and runway got delete so using a later AIRAC would be correct in real world, but unless the FSX scenery is changed to match, you would see grass instead of asphalt. But this is weird. I gather no one see this but me.

Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I updated my AIRAC to 1209 and switched to ORBX PNW KSEA and I am still seeing this issue. It looks as if the plane lateral navigation is off by a few hundred meters to the left of the runway. Using ILS16R also has the same problem.

Vu Pham

Hi

Not sure what your installation is but this come sometimes happen with conflicting scenery files.

I am no expert but I have had this happen to me and caused the issue you report.

There is a bit of software called something like "fsx airport scanner (FAS)" that helps in detecting these conflicts.

As always, have a read on the good old www and I am sure you will find out about this issue and what to do about it.

Kind Regards

Stuart

KSEA 16L Runway heading: 163 magnetic, 180 true

Looks like it might well be a magnetic variation error in Flight Sim.

Remember, Flight sim's mag var table is over 10 years old, and during that time, there has been a significant change.

If you were flying the 16L approach on autopilot, with no wind, it would be interesting to know what your HEADING was, as shown on your compass. (Even better using Tooltip)

I bet it was not 163 degrees !!

Also, try sitting on the numbers of 16L, alined straight down the runway, and see what your MAGNETIC Compass heading is. Once again, I bet it is not 163 degress.

Same issue with Oshkosh Runway 36. Current approach plates are almost 5 degrees off now in Real Life. (still using Mag var from the 70's ??)

Ironically, FSX being 10 years old, the Current Real World Plates more Correct in the SIM, than it in Real life !!

I did a quick test in a Cessna.

Is this about what you see?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

KSEA 16L Runway heading: 163 magnetic, 180 true

Looks like it might well be a magnetic variation error in Flight Sim.

Remember, Flight sim's mag var table is over 10 years old, and during that time, there has been a significant change.

If you were flying the 16L approach on autopilot, with no wind, it would be interesting to know what your HEADING was, as shown on your compass. (Even better using Tooltip)

I bet it was not 163 degrees !!

Also, try sitting on the numbers of 16L, alined straight down the runway, and see what your MAGNETIC Compass heading is. Once again, I bet it is not 163 degress.

Same issue with Oshkosh Runway 36. Current approach plates are almost 5 degrees off now in Real Life. (still using Mag var from the 70's ??)

Ironically, FSX being 10 years old, the Current Real World Plates more Correct in the SIM, than it in Real life !!

Hi,

I updated the magnetic variation as per:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/336155-magnetic-variation-updates-for-fs9-and-fsx/

Now the plane lands on the left of the runway, rather than the right on the grass strip. So it is definitely a magnetic heading thing. I will check and report back.

I did a quick test in a Cessna.

Is this about what you see?

It's worse, the plane lands on the apron. I would be happy to see this small deviation.

Vu Pham

Do you get the same results in the Cessna?

Best Regards,

The current Runway 16L/34R at KSEA was not placed in service until after FSX was released. The current 16C/34C is shown as 16L/34R in FSX.

My guess is that this is the root of the OP's problem.

Magnetic variation should not have an effect on ILS capture in vanilla FSX, because the ILS data is coded as true heading and not magnetic heading. If the localizer is situated on the runway centerline, and on the same true heading as the runway, then the airplane should be able to follow the localizer path and stay aligned with the runway centerline, no matter what magnetic variation model is being used.

Todd

The current Runway 16L/34R at KSEA was not placed in service until after FSX was released. The current 16C/34C is shown as 16L/34R in FSX.

My guess is that this is the root of the OP's problem.

Magnetic variation should not have an effect on ILS capture in vanilla FSX, because the ILS data is coded as true heading and not magnetic heading. If the localizer is situated on the runway centerline, and on the same true heading as the runway, then the airplane should be able to follow the localizer path and stay aligned with the runway centerline, no matter what magnetic variation model is being used.

Todd

I did see 16C/34C ILS shows up in AIRAC 1209 that I just updated. I use ORBX PNW, so presumably the runway and navaid info are correct. The plane follows the descend profile, capture the LOC and doing everything as it should, then as the approach progresses it became obvious that I am going to land on the APRON. Since nobody reports seeing the same thing I do, I must conclude that I have done something wrong here. I was following Mike Ray's level one tutorial, and it's kinda of frustrating to see that everything was proceeding fine until the weird landing.

Vu Pham

Not to be too pedantic but 16L/34R has been there for years, the new runway is 16R/34L.

What was 16R/34L in the original FSX is now 16C/34C.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Not to be too pedantic but 16L/34R has been there for years, the new runway is 16R/34L.

What was 16R/34L in the original FSX is now 16C/34C.

regards,

Joe

Correct ....

All approaches to 16L should be the same for old/new scenery.

Best Regards,