Sign in to follow this  
RKillins

Edit panel.cfg to define actual panel size and position

I continue to struggle with understanding how to overcome the challenges associated with the use of 2D panels in a 3 monitor spanned configuration. Most of us having this setup can relate to the need to have to edit panel.cfg files in order to hopefully eliminate the missing panel, hyper active blinking, always thinking, performance busting" cursor. My screen resolution is 6032x1080.

Although the fix in most parts resolves the basic issue, it still isn't very convenient. I respect that there will always be a need for manual panel.cfg editing, this can be challenging for those with lots of aircraft, and there is still a possibility of overlooking an entry resulting in a botched flight. And those that have had a perfect long flight know the frustration of accidentally calling up a missed unedited panel.

Although the editing will prevent the missing (hidden) window and cursor issue, one of the biggest inconveniences I find is the constant resizing and repositioning of panel windows. As much as you try to manipulate saving settings, default flights whatever after adjusting sizes and positions, it just doesn't seem reliable.

My basic question ....

If I can figure out the preferred size of the window (which I understand holds the panel graphic) I want, and the co-ordinates of where I want it over the span of three monitors, can I code those values into the panel config in order to avoid repetitively resizing and reposition panel windows from one flight to the next (with the same aircraft of course)?

Consider for example the CDU panel for the FeelThere ERJ175.

eg.

original - only top of window displayed in the bottom centre of the right monitor (#3). Low resolution. Resize and reposition required.

[Window02]
background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=418,600
window_size_ratio=1.0   
window_size = 0.000, 0.000
window_pos = 0.000, 0.000
position=8
visible=0
ident=10000
nomenu=0
zorder=4

gauge00=EJet!CDU, 0,0,418,600

Is it possible to edit the panel.cfg to default it to a size of 1596mm x 286mm reposition to co-ordinates (x1)1295mm x (y1)47mm which would put it pretty much centre of monitor #3?

I hope someone is able to offer some suggestions/advice/guidance. It would be one of the most beneficial improvements that I can apply to make my flying experience all the less frustrating.

Thank you all in advance.

RM Killins

Thanks Jay .... up until a moment ago .... I never knew it existed. Will have to give it a go.

Thats one of those 'sleepers' us 2D users keep near and dear to our hearts, and FSX :-)

Jay

Hi Jay,

As you have obvious success with this application ... I'm hoping you can help me. I feel the applications are very simple to use according to the instructions on the page, but I haven't had any luck.

I set up a free flight, and in windows mode, I undock, resize then reposition the panels amongst my three monitors. When everything is in place, I launch "Panel Store.exe". I don't see much happening. Is there a message once the .ini file is created? Where is the .ini file stored?

When I restart FSX, compile a free flight with the aircraft I used above, in windowed mode, I launch "Panel Restore.exe" and get a message "Error! No .ini file present."

Anyone have any suggestions?

RM Killins

Do you have the 'store and restore' icons on your desktop?

All you should have to do is exactly what you are doing, undock, resize, move the windows then click the Panel Store icon and it should save the settings. Then the next time in open the windows, undock them, then press the Panel Restore icon and they should move to their previous saved locations.

It has to be the exact same plane, not a different repaint, because its set up for each plane

Jay

Yes ... both icons on the desktop that I use to launch each application respectively. It sounds like the apps are basically dummy proof, but me thinks that perhaps I have to launch Panel Store as administrator in Windows 7? Thoughts?

The one thing I did not know though, was that to restore the panel info I need to open and undock first, then "Panel Restore". Do I have to follow this routine each time I open up a new panel, or will additional panels reorient themselves accordingly once the initial restore is made? Do I have to open and undock all panels initialls before running restore, then close what I don't need? No sure though if this would cause the error though. Where are these .ini files stored?

It has to be the exact same plane, not a different repaint, because its set up for each plane

Let me get this straight. If I have 5 repaints of the same aircraft, I have to go through the hoops of Panel Store for all 5 aircraft individually?? Once one is set up, can the initially created .ini be copied (if one knows where it is to copy) and just renamed to the aircraft 's variation?

RM Killins

Each window is treated as a seperate panel so open and undock the ones you want, one at a time or all at once, it makes no difference.

I have no idea if the ini can be copied since it's never been a huge issue to set up each plane for me, I think it would take more time to copy/edit/paste the .ini than to just setup each plane.

Jay

Nope ... I just can't get this to work. Even if I run "Panel Store.exe" as administrator, the application does not appear to be creating the .ini file. I launch it, not much appears to happen. I continue to get the message that no .ini is present for that same aircraft.

RM Killins

You wont 'see' it do anything when you undock, resize, and move the window and then click the 'Store' button, it just creates the .ini ......then when you open and undock a window the next session and click the 'Restore' icon it moves the window to the .ini location.

Sorry then, I really dont know what else to reccomend, its really a simple program

Jay

No problem Jay ,,, I appreciate the effort.

Any idea where this .ini file is stored? I'm wondering if I can isolate if it's a file creation problem (is or isn't the file being created), or if it's a file retrieval issue (is the app able to find the file).

RM Killins

This looks like a great little program.

I also learned recently that Ideal Flight has a zoom/camera view and window position save feature for each aircraft as well. Not sure if its functional in the IF demo but may be worth a try.

No problem Jay ,,, I appreciate the effort.

Any idea where this .ini file is stored? I'm wondering if I can isolate if it's a file creation problem (is or isn't the file being created), or if it's a file retrieval issue (is the app able to find the file).

On my machine I have it installed here... C:\FSX Panel Store ..... and all the .ini's are there. If you have the desktop icons, right click one of them then click on Properties and it will show you the path on your machine in the 'Target' box

Jay

Hey Jay, with that little piece of info, i have managed to make some progress. This is what I had discovered ...

i) the two apps should be installed into a directory on the harddrive rather than just the desktop. I put the apps in a folder on my FSX exclusive drive and put shortcuts on my desktop. The .ini files are now being placed in that directory.

ii) the panel windows must be in their "undocked" mode for panel store to work. Initially, I was repositioning the resized windows, docking them, then panel storing them. This does not create the ini file. Only when all windows are undocked will the ini be created.

iii) annoyingly, Windows 7 wants you to run both apps as administrator. Pain in the a$$

What I am not having concerns with ...

The ini file is simply called panel2.ini. Is this normal? I thought it was supposed to be named in reference to the aircraft for which it was made for. If I have to do this procedure for every aircraft's livery, how does the restore app distinguish which file for which plane?

Here is my panel2.ini file:

[window 1]
name=XGauge
x=77
y=81
width=581
height=341
[window 2]
name=Overhead
x=4123
y=30
width=1094
height=651
[window 3]
name=Checklists
x=69
y=425
width=591
height=349
[window 4]
name=ATC Menu
x=2841
y=196
width=885
height=720
[window 5]
name=Pedestal
x=5234
y=-3
width=733
height=1079
[window 6]
name=CDU
x=2112
y=190
width=535
height=781

From within my cockpit, I open the panel I want to display. Undock it, run the panel restore app, and within a fraction of a second, it is resized and relocated to the position anticipated. However, when I dock it ... it jumps back down to where it was initially. I have to manually re situate it again. Now if this is normal and to be expected .... I'm not seeing a whole lot of time saving. Open Panel>Undock>Panel Restore>Allow windows 7 to use the app>Undock>Reposition>dock ... is any quicker than open panel> undock> resize> reposition> dock. I hope I'm doing something wrong, because this bundle of apps seems to have a lot of benefit when it's used properly.

Cheers

RM Killins

Hi R Killins (I'm Frank)

I can help. What you want to do is perfectly possible. I have been amending panels for some years. I have a great file which I compiled to explain all, but it is in Excel and all my efforts to copy here have failed. I would like to send you a copy.

Can we link directly? There is a way, but do not post your email address here in the forum.

Can a more experienced forum user help us to make this private link, please?

Regards

Frank Jones