Sign in to follow this  
PerWel

Need New weather?

Hi

I write this because I got tired of AS2012 or REX did not give me what is out there in real life. Until now!

I got OpusFSX. It just loads the NOA METARS as they are without any stupid interpolation over big areas. Just loads several METAR stations over a large area 990 x 990 km in one blink. No stutter or anything, one frame and it is loaded and ready. METAR is gospel to them. Forbidden to tamper with, what METAR says goes directly into FSX.

For the first time I have had weather at DEP and DEST exactly what weather reports are saying. Also see weather fronts/cloud areas come and go as they do in real life. The takeoff and approaches feels a lot more alive with different clouds at several levels and heights/sizes. And they are exactly what NOA says. First time I've got OVC 400 feet at an airport when NOA says OVC 400 feet. Winds are also on the numbers.

So if you do not know about it check it out here:

http://www.opussoftw....uk/opusfsi.htm

Read everything about their weather engine, LWF. Also check the forum. So you understand what they are heading and why. Many topics from developers explaining the idea and what they want.

Still under development and looks like they working close with Pete D and his FSUIPC to fix / workaround the Wind Aloft bug in FSX. Have stable release version but

Latest Beta just works great. Nice price too.

For me it IS an upgrade to get better and more real weather. Have many examples to tell.

I do not get anything for telling this, I do not work for Opus or related in anyway.

I am just happy to get what I have been looking for for a very long time. Using REX textures because I think they are great.

If you have questions to me please move over to their forum where this kind of discussion belongs. This is a NGX forum.

The devs are also very active there, got answers/responds within an hour many times. Sometimes minutes.

/Per W

Sweden

Per W Sweden

I only need the weather, I have EZDOK + TrackIR and I am happy with them, I have no intention to start over with a new software. Can I only use weather from OpusFSX or am I obliged to also use Live View and Live Camera?

James Goggi

Yes you can set it to just act as the weather engine while keeping EZDOK and TrackIR

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Yes. I have EZDOK and are very happy with. I only got OpusFSX for the weather.

The other things you can see as a bonus.

I might try the camera things if I get some more PCs in a network.

/Per W

Sweden

Per W Sweden

Best weather program ever, I use the REX textures and Opus as the weather engine

John C

+1!

Best weather program ever, I use the REX textures and Opus as the weather engine

Edited by Ed van de Vijver

Can it be run from a laptop, network-connected with the FSX computer?

James Goggi

any negative effects on PMDG aircrafts, like REX and active sky S-turns?

You will soon be able to run the OpusFSX LWE on a networked computer such as a laptop. The upgrade will be available soon, but the current LWE running on the OpusFSX server program has virtually no effect on FSX. The upgrade isn't really intended to improve performance (the LWE has hardly any impact on FSX), it is in preperation for supporting other future options such as linking to other flight planner and navigation packages, interfacing to our own future Live Weather Assistant etc.

The FSX winds aloft bug affects everyone, but we have taken steps to minimise or virtually erradicate it whilst still giving varied and detailed weather. See the latest 2.21.6 beta which is soon to become the current release. This beta is the first phase in implementing a true winds aloft option for those who constantly fly airliners above FL270.

We also have one more final phase of development on WINTER, our Weather Interpolation algorithm which is responsible for interpolating the weather in between the met station coverage, it fills in the gaps between the METAR coverage. This is working pretty well at the moment (as evident from the above weather report) but we have one more improvement planned.

We will also be starting development on our intelligent cloud stabilisation, which stabilises the cloud layers and coverage in your near vicinity whilst flying, the 'near vicinity' covering a larger area as you climb higher.

I think that is about it. Of course when its all finished we immediately start on the LWE version 3 :rolleyes:

Well, perhaps after a short holiday.

Regards

Stephen

any negative effects on PMDG aircrafts, like REX and active sky S-turns?

I have not seen any. I fly the pmdg 737ngx most of the time. We use FSUIPC wind smoothing, some improved changes to it in the very latest version.

/Per W

Sweden

Per W Sweden

I only need the weather, I have EZDOK + TrackIR and I am happy with them, I have no intention to start over with a new software. Can I only use weather from OpusFSX or am I obliged to also use Live View and Live Camera?

I use the software only for weather.You can use it anyway you like it. W/wout live anything.

Thanks Stephen for your explanation.

Will this new "approach" to weather give more oppurtunities to model a realistic weather radar or there is no difference in that field?

James Goggi

We have plans to look into providing a weather radar type display as part of the Live Weather Assistant. Our weather map is quite detailed and uses 16km (10 mile) square weather cells covering an area of 992km x 992km (over 600 x 600 miles). It would be possible for the LWA to display the weather map on a grid to show different meteorological conditions, not just precipitation, but also overall cloud cover, thunderstorm activity, surface visibility, etc. our plan is to provide button options to alter the scale and select different met data for display.

All this is still in the specification stages and we will probably start development in the new year. We are always open to suggestions, I think we have already created topics on our Flight1 support forum. If not, a LWA topic will be created very soon.

Other ideas include linking to other flight planning and navigation packages. We will see about providing weather data for the likes of Plan G to use. We will also be including a GPS interface to link to RW packages such as SkyDemon, an excellent VFR package but expensive.

Other ideas include providing support and interfaces for the popular Vatsim and other virtual airline sites, but I do not know too much about them at the moment.

We will seriously consider all suggestions and ideas from our users. Beta version 2.21.7 has just been posted to include a smooth transition option for camera views, basically because several people asked for that option over the weekend. The development is just ongoing and will continue that way for many years to come.

Regards

Stephen

Hi

Just a quick question.

I'm waiting for the winds aloft before I buy it. Is that on the current beta?

Thanks

Lee