Sign in to follow this  
PerWel

Need New weather?

Hmmm.... it sounds interesting.

A question : if Opus " tells " to use a certain weather, let's say heavy foggy or cloudy or sun, does FSX can pickup the appropriate texture from the REX E loaded ones ?

This because I am not sure if REX E loads everything into FSX or if REX E loads only the textures that REX E thinks is appropriate.

I mean, if the REX E weather engine forecasts a cloudy day it loads cloud textures into FSX but if Opus says it's sunny I think FSX misses the sun textures cause REX E loaded the cloud textures only.

Am I right or am I wrong ?

Thx

Post overtaken by my slow typing!

You can use ANY or none at all. See posts 88 and 89 above.

Regards

Stephen

Hmmm.... it sounds interesting.

A question : if Opus " tells " to use a certain weather, let's say heavy foggy or cloudy or sun, does FSX can pickup the appropriate texture from the REX E loaded ones ?

This because I am not sure if REX E loads everything into FSX or if REX E loads only the textures that REX E thinks is appropriate.

I mean, if the REX E weather engine forecasts a cloudy day it loads cloud textures into FSX but if Opus says it's sunny I think FSX misses the sun textures cause REX E loaded the cloud textures only.

Am I right or am I wrong ?

Thx

Once again, read post 88 above. The textures are installed and referenced by FSX only. Posts 88 and 89 say it all, there is nothing more to it. :-)

Regards

Stephen

It uses or, to be more precise FSX, uses the ones that are in your fsx/textures/ directory. This is true for any weather engine. So if you selected a set of textures in i.e. REX, these are copied into FSX's texture directory and FSX will use them to display the weather information supplied by OpusFSX

Oops, Stephen was quicker than me

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Hi Stephen I purchased OpusFSX at last and have been setting it up. I have to say I love how easy it is to get it going. I've got all the views I want for the Airbus X set up properly with DHM and it took me a few minutes from not knowing anything about the interface at all. The manual is very concise and understandable too. Contrast that to the clunky, cumbersome and over-complicated setup necessary to get views working with EZDoc (always hated setting up planes with it) and the LiveView system on it's own is worth a good price. As a bonus, I've noticed a definite increase in FPS since I've stopped using EZDoc - I'm not being plagued with the little micro-stutters I was getting before in payware scenery which is probably due to a few extra frames from uninstalling it. I honestly never knew it hurt performance.

Can't wait to test out my first flight using LWE.

Hi Stephen I purchased OpusFSX at last and have been setting it up. I have to say I love how easy it is to get it going. I've got all the views I want for the Airbus X set up properly with DHM and it took me a few minutes from not knowing anything about the interface at all. The manual is very concise and understandable too. Contrast that to the clunky, cumbersome and over-complicated setup necessary to get views working with EZDoc (always hated setting up planes with it) and the LiveView system on it's own is worth a good price. As a bonus, I've noticed a definite increase in FPS since I've stopped using EZDoc - I'm not being plagued with the little micro-stutters I was getting before in payware scenery which is probably due to a few extra frames from uninstalling it. I honestly never knew it hurt performance.

Can't wait to test out my first flight using LWE.

Hi Kannwar

Many thanks for the kind remarks, not many people do realistic EZCA is reducing the frame rates. Please download the latest release via the Upgrade button on our downloads page. Release version 2.22 is now available and our wind smoothing software eradicates the high altitude wind shifts resulting from the infamous FSX winds aloft bug.

Many more upgrades and enhancements to come. Please check out our Flight1 forum topics and keep an eye out for announcements of new releases and betas. We will be starting the next phase of dev on Tuesday (not Monday, having the day off for my birthday) :-)

Regards

Stephen

You can use ANY or none at all. See posts 88 and 89 above.

Regards

Stephen

Once again, read post 88 above. The textures are installed and referenced by FSX only. Posts 88 and 89 say it all, there is nothing more to it. :-)

Regards

Stephen

Thanks for the answer but sorry I am not a smart guy.

If FSX already has all the textures loaded from REX E into FSX how comes that REX E each time it starts loads from scratch the new textures according to its weather forecast ?

Thx

how comes that REX E each time it starts loads from scratch the new textures according to its weather forecast ?

Hi Mark II

If you say "each time it starts its weather forecast", you probably mean the weather forecast generated by RexE?

Well to start with, you should disable the weather engine of RexE and let Opus do the forecast.

Secondly: RexE only loads its textures (all kind of cloud and weather textures) only once.

If you like to change some textures you should do so by launching RexE, without your Simulator running!

hope this helped.

salu2

Joop

I think REX also has an option to do this to make the weather look better. This practice is TOTALLY redundant with the OpusFSX LWE. We control how the weather looks using the textures that are installed.

So once more, textures are just eye candy, install the textures you prefer but you will find some excellent recommendations above.

Regards

Stephen

Hi Omni

See post 83 above. You can use whatever sky and cloud textures you want. They are just eye candy and do not affect the operation of the OpusFSX LWE.

Regards

Stephen

I think everyone is confused with what I'm trying to say. I was quoting a post a few messes back. Never mind!

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I've been reading and contemplating giving the Opus weather engine a go, mostly out of curiosity compared to my long-time competing product. I'm still a bit confused however, probably due to terms 'server' and 'client' terminology. I only ever run 3rd-party add-on software on a FSX client PC that communicates with the FSX gaming PC via both the Simconnect-client pipe as well as the older WideFS client pipe. Will (when) Opus be able to run on my client PC?

Also, I understand that the Opus golden-rule is 'the metar is everything'. How does Opus currently operate and/or perform on trans-oceanic flights without metar stations? I understand there is an upcoming FL winds engine update, but what about cloud coverage over the ocean without true station input?

Thanks,

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Hi Al

Unless you are using your networked system to offload 2D scenic views onto networked client computer system (e.g. In a home cockpit) then your system would be considered a single PC system. This means the OpusFSX server program would run as a standalone process on your main flying FSX system. The program has virtually no impact on your FSX performance and will actually increase its performance if you are replacing EZCA.

We do go by the rule 'the METAR is gospel' and we have a very intelligent weather interpolation algorithm (WINTER) that interpolates all the weather in the voids between the met stations. In METAR sparse regions, flying across deserts, seas, and oceans for example, the LWE extends its weather horizon until it has a reasonable set of met data that it can use to interpolate the weather. It just makes a best fit for your current weather. Without any extension the LWE checks all met reports in a region 992km by 992km centred on your aircraft's current position. This horizon is extended as far as necessary over oceans. Of course the weather you will see will be a best fit since there is no local met data to rely on.

You should please consult our Flight1 forum, especially the new Weather Smoothing and Stabilisation topic. We also have one final phase of development for WINTER to complete which will complement this upgrade (dev starting Tuesday, with the next phase of beta testing following soon after).

We will soon have an option to run the LWE on a networked client system via our own IPC link. This client does not need FSX. This upgrade has nothing really to do with performance, our server program has virtually no effect on FSX as it is (I assume you have a multicore main system), the main reason for this upgrade is to pave the way for future upgrades and planned new features.

I hope this answers your question. The LWE will of course be continually developed and enhanced over the years to come, our aim is simple, to provide the greatest level of realism possible.

Regards

Stephen

Thanks for the very timely, informative, reply Stephen. Much appreciated.

BTW, siince I'm an old-school sim enthusiast and don't (yet) believe any add-on has zero impact on peformance when loaded directly on the FSX PC; should I chose to do so, can I run LWE on my client-PC as soon as it that option becomes available? Will this be a free upgrade to existing Opus owners?

Thanks again

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Hi Al

Firstly, all upgrades are free of charge. We also encourage users to participate in the development cycles by releasing frequent beta versions. If we have tested anything that improves the software or enhances the system then we release it as a beta for people to make use of. Many of our users offer valuable feedback as a result, and hence participate actively and have a positive impact during the dev cycles.

Secondly, we are experts in designing and developing real-time data acquisition, supervisory control and telemetry software and have used all our 30+ years of experience in that field to produce OpusFSX. Our last measurements, with all options enabled and continuously updating a single client system came to less than 1 FPS, we just quote 1 FPS. This does rely on you having a multicore system which just about everyone does. The speed improvement for replacing EZCA is between 3 and 6 FPS.

Our tests are all conducted on a six core Intel based system.

Regards

Stephen

Where are the OPUSFSX support forums?

We have a Flight1 forum which can also be accessed via our main website page.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/opus-software_forum49.html

Regards

Stephen