Sign in to follow this  
Manny

One of my flight Instructors killed in a crash

Last night I was watching the 10'O'Clock news when I heard a familiar name "Charlie Yates" and then North west Regional airport...Crash. and I froze. It was Charlie, The Chief instructor at Marcair Flight school at 52F Roanoke.

Although he was not my primary instructor.. Charlie has flown with me on the Citabria (Tail wheel) when I go do my currency. He is a pretty cool guy. He is Lt Col Charlie Yates (Ret.) USAF and used to fly the F-15s (Vietnam Vet) and then flew for Delta Airlines after which he retired and became a chief flight Instructor at Marcair.

He has also written a book on his experience flying the F-15. "Mount Up With Wings As Eagles"

http://www.blurb.com.../detail/3272414

He was with another Pilot who was preparing to become an Instructor and flew the studen't Piper Cherokee when on take off, it scraped the trees and fell on the wooded area at the south end of 52F.

http://pcnflightwest...l-usaf-ret.html

http://www.wfaa.com/...-170911651.html

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

My respects to the man, I've known many friends, past trainers, past Captains I've worked with and others over the years who've passed away before their time, not all in air accidents, but traffic accidents as well... At least their memory lives on in all of those they've transferred their gift of knowledge to... :hi:

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Yeah I saw that on the news also Manny since I live in Dallas also. Ironically, you were the first person I though of when I heard the news since you did the wonderful creation of 52F. I had no idea that you actually flew out of the airport.

That's really sad news that both of the fellows lost their lives in that crash. From what they said on the news and in the interviews, Charlie sounded like a really nice fellow to be around. Thoughts and prays go out to the families of the two who lost their lives that morning.

BTW, doesn't Gerard Arpey the former AMR CEO hanger his plane out there also?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You have my personal condolences Manny.

I know it is really difficult to have this happen to someone you have known and flown with. If you have the opportunity please pass on our deepest respects to his family on behalf of the members and staff of AVSIM.

Kind regards,

Sincere condolensces,Manny!

Hi Manny,

Yeah - sorry to hear that... It does seem like once your around the aviation community for a bit - sooner or later you'll know people who die in a crash... My parents were/are friends with the couple that went down as passengers on that Socata on Long Island a few weeks ago... It was a lousy test drive to see if they wanted to purchase the plane... Initial reports reflect pretty poorly on the pilot...

RIP...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

It's always sobering when you have a friend or acquaintance perish in a horrible accident like a plane crash. It's a terrifying way to go, and we are all that much more sensitive to it since we do it on a regular basis.

What is even more sad about the accident is the aircraft owner who is survived by his wife and two young girls.

May they both rest in peace.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Sorry to hear that Manny.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

sorry to hear about this Manny

similar thing happened when I was in flight school, a plane accident lost a fellow student and instructor in an aircraft that I rented from them. I gave it a break for 9 months following the accident and returned to a different school at a different airport.

Humbling when this happens.

Matthew Kane

So sorry to hear of this loss.

In my case it wasn't till year 22 of flying that someone I knew died in avation. It is quite upsetting, but at least in my case I added up those who I knew who had perished in car accidents, and random illness, and that number was staggering in compare.

In any case so sad to hear of and heartfelt thoughts for all.

Well said, Capt.Rónán, on behalf of those like me who could not have put it better.

May they both R.I.P.

Any loss is a very sad time for those left behind and for those who remember.