Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

Activesky 2012 settings - What I am using now with NGX

Everything besides what you see in the 2 screen shots below is at Default for AS2012

http://img217.images...19/as2012go.jpg

http://img29.imagesh...61/as2012vo.jpg

FSUIPC All Weather Settings Off

FSX FSX Cloud Draw at 110 nm (Above 18,000 ft) 60 nm (Below 18,000 ft)

FSX.CFG TurbulenceScale=1.000000

I am back to using the Default scale FSX turbulence as I like strong turbulence when the weather is bad. If you have a problem with it being too strong then use the recommended Hi-Fi Setting below.

TurbulenceScale=0.500000

That is it guys. Not as complex as it used to be eh? You can thank Hi-Fi (AS2012) and Peter Dowson (FSUIPC) for helping to tame the FSX Wind Beast.

.....but do you receive reported weather at destination and departure airports. In most cases, i do not.

.....but do you receive reported weather at destination and departure airports. In most cases, i do not.

I am not sure I understand, please explain in more detail. My Departure and Destination ATIS show up correctly with Xgauge just fine with the above settings.

If you use the Force Destination Wx Zone I have found that can cause both your Departure and Destination weather to appear to be the same. That is why I do not have it checked. Dynamic Rate of Change at 30 instead of 0 might help too.

Just try the settings above and if they are not to your liking then you can always go back to your old settings. I have found the NGX responds very well with these settings. Best of all when you run into a storm with heavy turbulence it will feel realistic.

In the past we had to tone down turbulence effects or elimiinate them altogether which made flying in stormy weather highly unrealistic. I am happy to say that this is no longer the case.

I am back to using the Default scale FSX turbulence as I like strong turbulence when the weather is bad. If you have a problem with it being too strong then use the recommended Hi-Fi Setting below.

Do you have the turbulence effects in FSX itself turned on as well? I've changed the TurbulenceScale line back to 1.0 in FSX.cfg but can't seem to see any difference.

The other settings look good. I've changed some of them to what you have except for visibility options as I like to have the hazy effect in the distance.

Do you have the turbulence effects in FSX itself turned on as well? I've changed the TurbulenceScale line back to 1.0 in FSX.cfg but can't seem to see any difference.

It is not 1.0 it is 1.00000

the Difference between 1.00000 and 0.500000 is about half.

The Option - Disable Turbulence and Thermal effects on Aircraft under FSX Weather Tab should be unchecked. If you checked that box then you are completely disabling ALL turbulence and you don't want to do that.

visibility options as I like to have the hazy effect in the distance.

If you use the default FSX Cloud draw of 60nm and Activesky Maximum Upper Visibility at 60 nm when you are at cruise and look outside there is a ring of clouds around you. It looks very unlrealistic to me.

If you set the FSX Cloud Draw to 110 nm at Cruise and Activesky Maximum Upper Visibility at 100 nm then the clouds will streatch all the way to the horizon. No more ring of clouds following you and it looks much more realistic. Try it at cruise and you will see what I mean. Once you set the Activesky Maximum Upper Visibility at 100 you never need to change it again. I just change the FSX Cloud draw from 110 nm back to 60 nm when below 18,000 feet.

As for the turbulence, unless your flying in turbulent weather conditions your not going to notice anything. Find some stormy weather with Activesky Search and go fly in it. Then you will notice!

It is not 1.0 it is 1.00000

Sorry I actually do have it set to 1.00000 in the file, just didn't add all the zeros in the post.

If you checked that box then you are completely disabling ALL turbulence and you don't want to do that.

I originally had it checked as this is what PMDG recommend in the first part of their documentation when setting up the NGX as it apparently interferes with their flight dynamics.

I know what you mean about the cloud rings around your aircraft, this was once how I had it setup before upgrading my hardware as having the full distance really hit the FPS pretty hard. I actually have the FSX cloud draw to 110nm at all times and the AS upper visibility at 60nm, I think it looks OK with the slight haziness in the horizon. I'll try extending it to 100nm when in cruise next time though to see the difference. Don't really want to change the FSX setting to 60nm every time I descend though, unless I cruise below FL180.

Also, do you run AS2012 using it's textures? I've been looking at getting something like FEX.

I'll turn on the turbulence effects and go storm hunting tonight ;-)

FSUIPC All Weather Settings Off

Paul

Did you restore the original values for TurbulanceRate and TurbulaneDivisor in the FSUIPC.ini or does All Weather Settings Off take care of that? If you did restore the original values could you tell me what they are. I never made a note of what they were when I changed them per your recommendations in December 2011.

Thanks

Michael

TurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0

TurbulenceDivisor=20,20,40,40

Mine are at the FSUIPC Default settigs above along with all Weather settings off.

I flew into LTAI the other night and there was a major storm over the airport. Have not seen anything that insane in a long time. Lightning flashing every 2 seconds all around me and 20 knot approach winds. My speed gauges were bouncing up and down too. So I actually felt like I was flying through bad weather.

So basically everything is at the Default (FSX, FSUIPC and Activesky) Except for what you see different in the 2 screen shots above.

What kind of frame rates are you getting with these settings? I have a similar setup except my cloud draw distance is set to 70. I am using the compressed textures for clouds as I was getting some stuttering frame rates with the HD textures in the 737NGX. I have registered FSUIPC and tweaked my fsx.cfg file along with a modest overclock of 4.2 GHz on my 3770K but still not happy with my performance after installing AS2012.

When you switch over to 110 nm cloud draw above 18,000 feet turn the autogen off and this will improve your frame rates. Your not going to see it on the ground at this height anyway. When you descent below 18,000 feet you can turn it back on again and put your clould draw back to 70 nm.

I use the compressed textures as well until I upgrade my rig and hopefully then I can max out my sliders more and use HD clouds. Until then I have to balance things to get acceptable frame rates.

My FSUIPC says "Weather Settings Off" as opposed to "All Weather Settings Off".  I'm using the latest version for FSX.

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.