Sign in to follow this  
kannwar

FSX Realistic Night!

Hi guys, I happened upon this awesome little tool today by accident doing a Google search - has anyone seen it?? It is called FXAA Post Process Injection Tool and here is a video:

So far it has transformed my night-time environment and I am so happy to finally have gotten rid of the over-bright ground issue that was always bugging me with FSX. Using ENB to try and contrive a decent night environment by messing with brightness settings is no longer necessary! What i am seeing is rural areas that are dark and difficult to make out (as they are in real life every time I've flown at night) and the city lights are still bright and bold! And the best thing is I can set the sim back to day time and it still looks like daytime without me having to mess around with my monitor's brightness and color settings. It also claims to be able to inject high levels of AA with minimal performance impact although I haven't tested this. It does bloom, HDR and other things that I know nothing about.

You can download the file FXAAToolHG6.zip from here:

https://www.assembla.com/spaces/fxaa-pp-inject/documents

I simply copied the files into my FSX directory and launched the adjustment tool it comes with. All I've done is to turn off AA and HDR as I'm mostly interested in the colour and shading aspects at the moment. So far I've not touched a single setting and it works great! I'm sure all the wonderful people in these forums will be able to fiddle with the settings and get some awesome results out of this little gem.

Give it a go and let us know how you find it. I think this could possibly be a great alternative to both Shade and ENB.

jeez... that looks excellent! Can't believe it's the same old FSX )

I have similar night lighting for FS2004 (well, only darkness) thanks to ENB.

Looks very nice in the video.

Will give it a shot later today. Thanks for the information!

Cheers

Well what id does exactly ?... would be nice to have comparison shots with REX only and REX + FXAAT to see the difference.....

too much, too soon....

So i put all these files in my FSX Folder, run the Ex and set it up, exit it then run FSX and it will work? What do i do about the Nvidia Profile I already have for FSX...turn off AA in it?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Does this work on ATI cards? Downloaded and installed it but it didn't do anything, I have Radeon 6990.

well, it's supposedly based on Nvidia FXAA...so I assume it wont work with ATI?

So i put all these files in my FSX Folder, run the Ex and set it up, exit it then run FSX and it will work? What do i do about the Nvidia Profile I already have for FSX...turn off AA in it?

no...you can leave the AA on in the driver...but you need to run the FXAA tool and turn off AA in there or else the effects wont work.

What's it suppose to do? I can't see much change with out a side by side compare.

use the "pause" key on your keyboard after entering fsx to toggle the effect on/off and you should see the difference in lighting/shading/colors in fsx...if you do this and dont see any difference then you didnt install correctly

Wow. That looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Anybody know what the airport / scenery is at the beginning of the vid?