Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

DX10 fix fails to install

The latest setup.bat works as follows.

It First tries to use the registry to find fsx. If it finds a registry entry for fsx and there looks to be a valid fsx system there ( correct directory structure) it installs itself there.

If it cannot find it that way (eg you moved it after install ) it then searches the disks looking for fsx.exe. If it finds it will ask you if it's the correct location. If you say no it continues to search. This should work if people have multiple backup copies.

It also now supports run as administrator. Very few people should ever need this and I strongly suggest just running it normally, but for those few it should now work.

If you have installation problems please ask here.

What does "Your general10.fx shader appears to be non original" mean??

There is a function in Dowork.vbs called IsCleanInstall

For the installation to succeed you need either

A completely clean install which means

an original sized general10.fx,

none of the patch files in the directory (actually its only interested in PatchGeneral10.txt)

no general10.fx.ORIG in the directory

OR

you need

A directory with evidence of a previous run of the installer which means it can see

PatchGeneral10.txt

general10.fx.ORIG

AND general10.fx which must not be the original size 24218

I downloaded this DX10 shaders fix for FSX from Avsim Library and have tried to install it, however whenever I run setup.bat I get this problem:

http://i48.tinypic.com/ekhpmo.png

I'm using Win 7 64 bit Home and I have UAC turned off, FSX Installed to D:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Any idea why this could be happening? I would really like to get this fix working as I have heard a lot of positive stuff about FSX performance with DX10.

Are you using Acceleration? If not do you have service pack one and two installed?

Jamie Moses

It's trying to read the registry to find out where fsx lives by creating a wmi object. I can only guess that you have disabled windows management in some way.

I have not seen that happen before.

If you create an environment variable FSXDIR with the pathname of your fsx directory then it will use that in preference to searching the registry or the disk both of which rely on wmi.

I had that same error when installing. If I remember correctly I copied all the installation files to the System32 folder and ran it again (from the system32 folder). Once it has installed you can delete them from that folder again.

HTH.

The later versions support run as administrator and can find the dowork.vbs even when the directory changes to system32 because of the run as - so there is really no need to copy files there any more.

In this case it's a real error, the line listed is in dowork.vbs and is indeed issuing a wmi get object. I would guess that the wmi service isn't running.

If I ever write another installer it will insist that you copy it to a directory under fsx and avoid all the effort of trying to find it or just ask you to enter the path as a string.

FScamp - here is the modified ShadersHLSL folder complete:

https://dl.dropbox.c...ShadersHLSL.zip

Just copy your original somewhere else, unzip this one and drop it into the FSX root folder. Here is another mod for you - it's called "Take Ownership" - https://dl.dropbox.c...keOwnership.zip

Make a folder somewhere where you keep useful utilities, unpack this into it, and run the "InstallTakeOwnership.reg". It will add "Take Ownership" to the menu that pops up when you right-click on any file. It also includes a removal tool, too. Use it when Windows argues about 'who owns what' with you..

It works for 90% of all files. I just run it for the whole drive (no - not the C-drive...), or the whole of the FSX installation. :smile:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

It's trying to read the registry to find out where fsx lives by creating a wmi object. I can only guess that you have disabled windows management in some way.
Indeed I have, for some very weird reason my whole system kept sometimes randomly freezing while playing FSX and resource heavy games in general, only solution I found was disabling WMI or at least part of it, I'm not sure what the folder that I removed from Windows did.

However after that I had no more freezing and haven't had any problems caused by these missing files before this.

FScamp - here is the modified ShadersHLSL folder complete:

Thanks for quick help, going to test it now. :smile:

Thanks for quick help, going to test it now.

I'm going to merge this post with the DX10 Installation Problem post pinned above.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello, first sorry for my bad english and hope you understand me :)

So i trying to install the last shader 3.2.2 and i got a error message

Here a capture of ther error :

http://www.casimages.com/img.php?i=130128124849580798.png

error line 240 chart 5

This service is not a installed service or somthing like that sory for the traduction

I run in normal or administrator mode it's exactly trhe same. i try to install the floder under FSX floder (like in the picture) exactly the same.

Im on FSX accélération pack on Window 7 32 bit

Any sugestions ?

Thx regards Ced

I fixed the install not to fail if the WMI service wasn't running after post 3 but I only fixed the point where it read the registry, your problem is later on where it tries to search the disk!

The setup shouldnt crash, but without any access to query the registry or search the disk it can never find fsx

The only way left is to create an environment variable called FSXDIR with thepath to your install as described in the readme or else start the Windows Management Instrumentation service in control panel Its System and Security --> Administrative Tools --> Services

Hey, Ced - you can use the Flight1 Registry Fix tool here.

All the Best.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hello Steve

setup.bat does not work, after running the bat it shows the cmd window with the paths where the unzipped files are(my downloads) and the message sais "window Scrip Host...general10.fx shader has randonly attribute set" click "ok" and nothing...gone, nothing, even no error messages, it does not look for FSX, nothing at all.

UAC disabled by default from the beginning after installing W7 x64.

FSX acceleration gold pack installed, DX10 preview ticked, all the stuff with dx10 on present before and after running the patch, it does nothing.

I am the administrator and only user of the dedicated fsx machine...no clue where to go or do.

I will appreciate some guideline, cause I cannot proube that this really works and I want give up with DX10 as always did...

Many thanks anyway. On the other hand I tried to download the dropbox file linked by paulJ but is broken, goes nowhere...if you can fix it paul, appreciated!

Mario