Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Tileproxy and windows 8

Just posting this in case down the road someone finds a way around this..

Thus far, at least with Windows 8 x64 Pro RTM.. i've yet to be able to get the tileproxy.sys driver to register. I've done the reboot with disable driver enforcement and also tried the win 7 overrider (which doesnt work in windows 8).. I've also tried using bcedit to manually enable test mode then run the tileproxy setup with the driver install portion checked.

In any case it just doesnt work in Windows 8.. at least in my testing so far.

If anyone finds a way around this issue, please share.. many thanks.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I've managed to get tileproxy working in Windows 8 x64 Pro.

For me success was the following (not sure if you need the bcedit, but it cant hurt):

Now for me, I had to uninstall tileproxy after the failed first attempts (and remove the tileproxy.sys file from c:\windows\system32\drivers)..

(you can backup the tileproxy folder and cache folder location if you like before uninstalling)

Run this command from a command line (admin mode):

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Then from metro, control panel.. settings.. general.. Advanced Startup.. Restart Now.. choose the option that takes you to the startup mode that lets you disable driver signing enforcement, safemode etc..

Reboot..

The menu appears, press 7 to disable driver sign. enforcement.

Now I reran setup.. you might still get a warning about tileproxy.sys and driver enforcement but thats ok.

I then set proxyuser.exe to run as admin (always) (uac is on in my case).

Run proxyuser.exe Ready for takeoff!

The downside so far with windows 8.. there is no way to permanently turn off enforcement.. The old tool from windows 7 doesnt work. Each reboot has to be an advanced startup reboot for now. Hopefully a workaround will be found in the near future.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Thank you for posting this! Most of the available solutions are for Win7 or Vista... took me forever to find this one. But, it works!

One thing I'd add: back up your BCD file before making the above edits, and then make a backup of the new one, too. This edits your boot file, so simply rebooting doesn't take your computer out of test mode.

bcdedit /export c:\BACKUPbcd

Swap between the two by importing the correct one:

bcdedit /import c:\TILEPROXYbcd

for fsx utility tileproxy beta 8. To install in win 8 64 bit.

Run these commands from an elevated command prompt (Win + x is nice for this): use cmd for this and right clickrun as admin
bcdedit -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
Reboot and you’re good. Take note there are two (2) D‘s in DDISABLE.

Now install whatever you like. If you ever want to revers what you did, just run the opposite: do not run this before your finish tileproxy installation.

This is to revert to original value. Let the first 2 codes be run then, run below codes if you want to get back to its original state and only after all installation procedures.
bcdedit /deletevalue loadoptions
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

#2 - Using Regedit ( some steps are repetition 

1.      Open Registry Editor.

2.      In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

3.      Locate the following value (DWORD): EnableLUA and give it a value of 0.

Note: As always, before making changes to your registry you should always make sure you have a valid backup. In cases where you're supposed to delete or modify keys or values from the registry it is possible to first export that key or value(s) to a .REG file before performing the changes.

1.      Close Registry Editor. You need to reboot the computer for changes to apply.

In order to re-enable UAC just change the above value to 1.

#3. Advanced system start up.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4924-advanced-startup-settings-boot-windows-8-a.html

Move cursor to right bottom, click pc settings. Click general from left side tabs, click adv start up tab. Follow the prompt, until yo u get to  a screen where it says disable unsigned drivers.

Its not tough, for more info if you need call me  shorn.mat@gmail.com, Sharon.mdmathew@gmail.com. Or the man who showed me, Peter from UK. For further details on this.

So , you will be pressing 7 or f7. To get started up from that screen, . remember it will be back on, if you reboot the system. So install tileproxy  then and there before rebooting.

Then, close down all firewalls. Make sure, all are closed , public, private. its important.

Close down  antivirus.

Never notify the, uac. Controls.

Then you are good to go for installing tileproxy.

In case anything,  people are there to offer their knowledge.

Good morning

There is a way to permanently turn off enforcement driver. Just download the freeware ready driver plus and find on google the boot.ini compatible with windows 8.1.

I run Tileproxy like a charm without having to go through the F7 option. Ready Driver plus will do it for you.

In order for Ready Driver PLus to work in Windows 8  you have to set up legacy boot menu first.

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Beware that using Ready Driver Plus may open security breach in your system due to the fact that unsigned drivers are allowed.

Cheers

Working great on Windows 8.1!

However some observations, although may be specific to my computer, so please do not assume the same for you:

1. I only used one 'D' in "DISABLE..." - makes me wonder if required?

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

If required, was only 'needed' for the installation, can be reversed by (if you forgot to back up ;-):

bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

2. Registy tweak

Yes - this is required if want to run FSX with TileProxy.  I set back to '1' if doing a few days non-FSX, or planning to install other software.

3. Advanced set-up

Yes - again required each time you log in for a FSX session.

4. Additional note #1:

I did not have to disable any of the following: anti-virus, firewalls for TileProxy to work fine. 

5. Additional note #2:

I also would be wary of installing Ready Driver Plus... http://www.citadelindustries.net/rdp.php.%C2'>

Disco