Sign in to follow this  
davidmi58

Have any of you tried this? (SweetFX)

I have been playing with this new shader injector and it seems to work great with FSX!

http://forums.guru3d...ad.php?t=368880

It allows you to inject a suite of post processing effects into any DX9, 10, or 11 game. (32 bit only)

I am using it with FSX DX10 preview and it really sharpens things up along with offering a host of post processing type effects like HDR and Bloom. Seems to have a pretty negligible effect on frames.

Best of all, it is completely and easily configurable via text file.

Very easy to do, too. You don't have to keep restarting FSX every time you make an adjustment. You can do it "on the fly." :) Run FSX in a window. Open the text settings file in another window. Change any setting and save the file. Push the pause key to restart the injector. You can also toggle the effect off and on using the scroll lock key. (You might want to change the default keys that FSX uses for those keystrokes, too.)

I haven't spend much time with it and I am pretty much an FSX novice. Just thought I would bring it to everyone's attention. If you like it, I would be very interested to see what kinds of interesting settings some of you experts can put together.

Maybe this is old news but I just thought I would throw it out there, FWIW. I know I am having fun and will be playing/flying with from now on.

Before and after screenies below. They really don't don't do the thing justice since I am keeping the settings pretty subtle so far but it really shines in the sim.

Edited by firehawk44
Images removed - exceeded 1600W limit. Yours 1920W.
  • Upvote 1

It does look preety good.Guess i might have to give it a shot..

Clinton Royston Fernandes.

Vabb-Mumbai India.

Ok, I just tried it. First impressions are nothing short of spectacular! This is ENB without the crashes, and FXAA tool without the blurriness. Extreamely customizable, minimal impact on performance and... what can I say? I just enabled HDR in the text file and FSX looks even better. The added contrast really eliminates that washed-out look of FSX and creates that depth of color that I miss so much (which ENB fixed, but I could't cope with the CTD's). More testing needs to be done but, if it remains stable as it seems right now (tested for about an hour), I declare this little tool absolutely essential.

Look at this screenshot I took with the NGX at KJAC. Sadly I didn't take one without the tool in effect, but the darks are darker, the contrast is beautiful and overal color is much, much better.

2012102815523213.jpg

Thanks for sharing this David. Now I urge the community to try it out. This topic needs more feedback! :D

I tried this with Prepar3D and with mod it ends every time in start to d3d.dll crash. There wasn't any errors in the log and I also tried to fiddle with ingame/inspector/SweetFX AA settings, but no go: always crash at start.

Had a quick look at it and it sure is impressive. Just download SweetFX 1.3.7z, unzip it, move the files and directory inside to your main FSX folder and there you go. The scroll lock key switches it off an on

If you dont' want it to mess with your AA settings, open SweetFX_settings.txt and set #define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 1 to #define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 0

Their bloom and HDR-like effects are definitely worth trying.

• Upvote 1

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Ok, here are some comparison shots : left = FSX, right FSX + SweetFX

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

SweetFX makes it way too dark... default is better, outside its always much more brighter!

Glad to see some of you share my excitement with regards to SweetFX. Improves the washed out FSX look but also uses SMAA to sharpen things up quite a bit and I find it more customizable and less costly (FPS-wise) than the checkbox in FSX settings.

What is really exciting to me is the level of customization. Certainly, you can turn the individual effects on and off but you can actually make very fine adjustments to each of the effects and then, almost immediately, see the results in FSX. (I find FSX users to be hugely tweak-friendly. :wink: ) I am hoping we can share our settings as we find what we like. Is I said, I am a novice with FSX and SweetFX but will attached what I am using right now. I know some of you will be able to improve on this and I am excited by the possibilities.

I encourage everyone to try this. If you don't like it, just delete the files and it is gone. No harm done.

My settings are attached.

SweetFX makes it way too dark... default is better, outside its always much more brighter!

That is surprising as it quite the opposite effect for me. Did you try to tweak any of the settings?

• Upvote 1

Thanks David for the heads-up on SweetFX. Imo, it looks better than ENB, adding contrast without darkening too much. A keeper.

Here are the settings I used for the screenshots (just SMAA off, Bloom, HDR & Vibrance on)

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

Huh? I copied the whole contents of the SweetFX 1.3 into my FSX folder and I saw no difference!?? Am I missing something?

EDIT: Sorry, I must have done something wrong. Second try, copied everything, now working.

Thanks Jean-Paul and David for sharing your settings. About to try it now.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Mine are really basic, no tweaking at all. Haven't tried David's yet :blush:

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

Ok what files so I put into FSX, there are files and subfolders I dont understand

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

All the files and the sub-folder :smile:

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I know, I thought I did it right. Anyway... first tests show quite a FPS killer. 20% or so. Same with you? I ran it together with OpusFSX, right now quite cloudy here and I had quite a big difference in FPS in NGX, 24 vs 28 FPS.