Sign in to follow this  
harrydoucette

windows 8

We'll be issuing a statement on this shortly - I've had it running on my system for about a week testing it. Our stuff works but there are some caveats.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

We'll be issuing a statement on this shortly - I've had it running on my system for about a week testing it. Our stuff works but there are some caveats.

As far as I can see. It works with nog problems.But I'm happy to test something. Eric

I haven't problem with Win 8.

CASE: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 MB: Msi Z590 Tomahawk CPU: Intel i7 11700K RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 2400 MHz COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 HD: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB GPU: Nvidia (Asus A8G) GTX 1080 PSU: Cooler Master V750 FAN: Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120 Air Flow RGB (x4).

302318.png     Lorenzo Guidotti

If you're running a desktop I see no reason to change to Windows 8. It seems like the new operating system is good for laptops/touchscreens.

The desktop would still belongs in windows 7 domain.

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Hi Alex,

True. But if you buy a new computer, windows 8 is certainly installed. Nice to have it working with PMDG.

Eric

any thoughts on windows 8 desktop+touchscreen monitor and virtual cockpit touch buttons, would this work?

Ton

If you're running a desktop I see no reason to change to Windows 8. It seems like the new operating system is good for laptops/touchscreens.

The desktop would still belongs in windows 7 domain.

Alex

There are some pretty nice new features like the new task manager and file copy dialog - both are massive improvements over the ones in Win7. You've also go the ability to trigger a TRIM command on your SSDs manually now right from the disk's right-click properties, which I like a lot. They have very good native multimonitor support now too - you can enable a separate taskbar on the 2nd monitor that houses the icons for the apps running on that monitor and stuff like that. Boot time is massively faster than 7 was too.

I'm using this currently to deal with the UI issues - http://www.stardock....roducts/start8/ - it hides/disables the Modern UI stuff and basically makes it work like an improved version of Win7. I tried to use the Start Screen thing but I was already pretty annoyed with it after a few days, so I bought this. Awesome little app for $5.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Glad that Tabs has some nice words about Win8, too.

I'm sure opinions change now after the most people have foreseen a big fail of Win8.

(These people btw where mostly people who had not one single look into this new OS)

So far I'm still happy with Win8 since over two month now!

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some pretty nice new features like the new task manager and file copy dialog - both are massive improvements over the ones in Win7. You've also go the ability to trigger a TRIM command on your SSDs manually now right from the disk's right-click properties, which I like a lot. They have very good native multimonitor support now too - you can enable a separate taskbar on the 2nd monitor that houses the icons for the apps running on that monitor and stuff like that. Boot time is massively faster than 7 was too.

I'm using this currently to deal with the UI issues - http://www.stardock....roducts/start8/ - it hides/disables the Modern UI stuff and basically makes it work like an improved version of Win7. I tried to use the Start Screen thing but I was already pretty annoyed with it after a few days, so I bought this. Awesome little app for $5.

#Thanks for that, I will definitely look into it if I upgrade..

Did you do the upgrade edition or the full operating system from fresh?

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

There is no full vs. upgrade version this time, just one version that costs $40. It allows you to make a USB drive or a DVD with the installer on it though and you can boot from that to do a clean install. I did an in-place upgrade initially, but had issues, so I reformatted clean.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Ryan that is BS. If by now Microsoft still doesn't realize that people hate the Metro crap then they're in really bad shape. I would not buy a $5 app for a problem that Microsoft is ignoring to fix. They could AT LEAST make like an option in the system settings to revert back to the old style start menu, but they're not.

If by now Microsoft still doesn't realize that people hate the Metro crap then they're in really bad shape

It is not that people hate it generally.

I like it more and more!

But yes, an option would have cooled down this senseless discussion about the new start menu!

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

There is no full vs. upgrade version this time, just one version that costs $40. It allows you to make a USB drive or a DVD with the installer on it though and you can boot from that to do a clean install. I did an in-place upgrade initially, but had issues, so I reformatted clean.

Ryan,

I was about to pull the trigger on the $40 version using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, but I got cold feet at the checkout because it didn't give me enough information about what I was buying. Maybe you could offer some info if you don't mind:

A/ If you are running the Upgrade Assistant from within Windows 7 64bit - will you get the 64bit version of Windows 8?

B/ Is it necessary to do the in-place upgrade or can you just download the installer and put it away for a rainy day?

Thanks,

Dave

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11