Sign in to follow this  
sargentx

How I gained 15 fps and ultra smooth performance FSX windows 7

Well, for me at least I've discovered a combination of things that have given me absolutely unreal performance with fsx and all my Orbx sceneries. I've added 15-20 fps on top of what was typically about 24-40 fps, zero stutters or problems, and can actually max the autogen sliders to the far right over Seattle and get 20-30 fps. Everywhere else I'm averaging 40-50 fps. The lowest I ever see is 22 and that's around dense airports like Harvey field from Orbx. Even at 22, the sim feels like 30 fps. It's got that high def video look to it. I just thought I'd share this because for me at least, it's like Christmas morning. This stuff probably only applies to faster systems. I don't know.

System,

i7 3770k 3.5-3.7 ghz (stock) windows 7

Geforce GTX 560

REX Plus, Orbx PNW and all airports,

Lancair legacy from Real Air simulations.

All sliders set to maximum except for vehicle traffic (25%) Airline traffic (off, preference), No bloom, no aircraft shadows, and water at low 2.0.

1. Unparked my cores. I guess this allows the system to use all the cores without saving power and 'parking' less used cores. Do your research. http://forums.extrem...ad.php?t=358646

2. Downloaded UIAutomationCore.dll http://dllexedown.co...48&page=430���� I simply dropped this into my fsx main folder. Completely eliminated all crash issues and error messages. No more Fatal error BS.

3. Performed the Bojote fsx tweaking tool. http://www.venetubo..../fsx.html��Does wonders for performance and graphical glitches and loading issues.

4. Set my fps limiter to unlimited.

5. Went into Task Manager/processes/ and changed the affinity for fsx to 'Real time'. Definitely not running any other processes in the background. Have had no instability. Computer is purpose built for fsx and only runs this program. This, combined with unparking my cores has given me nearly maximum use of all 8 cores evenly. For the first time ever, Im seeing 80% load across all the cores as apposed to the usual and frustrating 'variety' of loads. The result is nothing short of phenomenal. My computer is running fsx on max graphics as if its fs2004 on a 2010 computer.

I just had to share this. Really worked for me, I hope it works for someone else! FSX is a pig.

has given me nearly maximum use of all 8 cores evenly

A minor point but... the 3770k is a 4 core cpu.

And I think you mean thread priority (not affinity). Interesting you can set to "realtime".

Yes you're right, I meant "threads"....and also the thread priority. In the task manager there are some choices when you right click on fsx.exe "Priority" is the one I meant. In windows seven you can select "realtime" whatever that means. Combined with the unparked cores it's giving me 8 threads working at about 80%. Before setting the realtime, I was getting uneven thread use across the unparked cores. I'm no computer expert, but of all the things I've tried, this has given me the most dramatic performance boost. I have no idea why or how.

Hmmm interesting I remember seeing that unparked cores thing around a year ago but no one really seemed to know much about it so I left it but I might just give it a go tonight. As for Bojote's tweaks and settings FPS to unlimited even people with similar machines seem to get varying results from this approach. I think Word Not Allowed's guide has produced more consistent results for people but if it works for you that's good.

Wow. I cant thank you enough for this, I was down to 15 in places like Seattle with Very Dense autogen and scenery, now I get a steady 30 - 35 in Seattle with full scenery and autogen. This should be pinned or become part of a performance guide so it can help others

FS2004 Forever

Cool! I'm glad it helped. It was amazing on my end. Just a warning though:http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2010/06/10/10022675.aspx USE AT OWN RISK! LOL

Thanks Kannwar, I'll check out the guide you mention. I think I've perused it before.

The core parking thing doesn't seem to do much....except when paired with a higher cpu priority setting, I'm going to advise a setting lower than "realtime" though.....because apparently if your OS crashes, you'll have no way to recover because the cpu is fully committed to fsx! I've had no issues though. I guess it prioritizes fax even over mouse inputs and stuff like that. Hopefully others will post their results with this combination.

Will give this a go when I get back tonight. Perhaps someone handy can make a reg file to 'unpark' the cores.

Do I have to set the tread priority every time fsx starts?

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I only know about my windows 7 results. As with anything, who the hell knows. On my end, I can confidently say that I've gained 10-15 fps everywhere without doubt....and a strange and very nice smoothness to the sim when framerates are below 24....it feels like 30. Through testing, I know that it's the unparked cores + the realtime setting for priority. The unparked cores don't really do much on their own on my system. It seems to be the combo. I mean, how can you not see a drastic improvement in performance with 8 threads all at 80%? I've heard of people having issues with the high priority (ctds, errors etc.) I've had none whatsoever so far, MAYBE it's more stable because of the unparked cores??? I don't know anything about this stuff. Just trial and error. I'm only making claims for myself (another dude on here also saw big changes..like doubled the fps.). We'll see. Don't get me wrong, I still get the odd crappy frame rates, but never below about 23 and very rarely. Has to be a crazy airport with lots of weather and stuff going on. There's no way in hell I could fly smoothly in these conditions before this adjustment. On max settings Seattle was 12 fps. Now 23-30. I've eased off on the autogen one notch just for that little bit of extra smoothening; but don't really have to. If this helps just a couple of people then it was worth posting. I hope it doesn't waste anyone's time or cause grief.

...I guess if you set your priority to 'realtime' just for fsx, there's no worry of it causing a tricky system hang where you can't make changes because your cpu is fully committed. Maybe do your own reading on this. I'm stable with it. And yes, you have to turn on 'realtime' after you launch fsx. It's easy as the launch window is windowed.

I had some odd issues with sound crackling when setting priority to real-time so I use High instead. Not sure the core park and this have made much difference. I wonder if the changes you are noticing are more to do with the tweaks that Bojote's tool added to your FSX cfg file.

I thought it was established that FSX did not react well to virtual cores.

Thread collisions.............

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I am getting serious problems with Windows 8 now after the registry edit.

PMDG 737NGX fails to load some panels.

OPUS fails to load with some System.IO.FileNotFoundException.

REVERTING....

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Here is a link for a utility to park the cores.

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

I haven't tried it yet as I'm having some hardware problems so can't really test properly. Still very interested to hear what others think. The CPU priority can be set up in a batch file in your fsx directory. The syntax is "start /high fsx.exe"

I'm a little cautious about going to realtime priority so tried /high instead of /realtime. This sounds like a very simple and obvious tweak, which of course has me concerned lol. But let's hope!!!