Sign in to follow this  
rob345

FSXWX: Yet another FSX weather engine

Hi,

motivated by the latest great developments for FSX, one of them clearly the PMDG NGX (actually, that's why I posted it in the PMDG forum but moderators may move it of course), I decided to program my own weather engine, or at least give it a try.

My main intentions with FSXWX are:

- To depicts (real-world) weather in an 'impressive manner' so that its visualization in FSX looks great (because its always a compromise between accuracy and perception).

- A wx engine that is build around such 'sensitive' jetliners like the NGX to do errorless and smooth flights from A to B.

There is definitely still a lot room for improvements, but version 1.0 is now ready and can be tested.

More infos incl. discussion forum at http://www.plane-pics.de/fsxwx/

Regards

Robert

mainhome4.jpg

Robert Budde
Visit FSXWX for a free and immersive weather engine!

Looks intriguing! Can't wait to get home and try this. Does it simulate high altitude weather? Winds aloft?

Elijah Hoyt
747ST.jpg
CFI, CFII, CMEL, CSEL, CSES, IFR

Does it simulate high altitude weather? Winds aloft?

Yes, it does!

Robert Budde

that looks promising. I've recommended it to a friend already who did not have any addon weather engine in the past. We'll see how he likes it. If he does it certanly speaks for the quality of this tool!

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

Interesting, i saw turbulences and wind aloft, windshear etc. Before i give it a try, what are the differences between FSXWX and AS2012?

Before i give it a try, what are the differences between FSXWX and AS2012?

Maybe first of all: I would never claim that FSXWX is on a par with AS2012 at this stage. AS2012 has many years of advance and their developers are probably 'professionals'. I am not!

Nevertheless, I gave it a try because I had/have some ideas in mind that the known wx addons do not offer.

Besides, it is freeware and I hope that maybe someone will join the development.

Just try it! If you like it, great, if not, that's also okay. ;-)

Robert Budde

HI Rob345

NIce work

I gave it a shot, looks good.

One question is if there is an update function.I wondered if it updates the wx as I travel in real time or does it pull wx only when i hit the refresh

Thanks for your effort Peter

I just tried it, it's nice

Humpty dumpty awesome , ignore the FPS please.

EDIT: IMAGE DELETED. VIOLATES OUR IMAGE SIZE RESTRICTION (1.2 megabytes). PLEASE READ AND ADHERE TO OUR IMAGE POSTING POLICIES.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I wondered if it updates the wx as I travel in real time or does it pull wx only when i hit the refresh

Thanks for your effort Peter

The weather is not updated in real time yet. But it's definitely a feature I have in mind for the future.

Robert Budde

The weather is not updated in real time yet.

There is an option to pre-inject weather based on your flight plan, but yes it will not get the ICAO weather stations till the flight is loaded.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Hello mate, I'm trying it and I get a CTD a few seconds after start

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: weather.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb59

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0001544b

Faulting process id: 0xe80

Faulting application start time: 0x01cdcaf11b8ff562

Faulting application path: E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\weather.dll

Report Id: 8e1822bc-36e4-11e2-bf95-005056c00008

Hello Javier,

the CTD has probably something to do with the modified wxmapping.bin.

To try it myself: At what location/airport did this happen to you? Or does it occur everywhere?

In general, please use my forum on http://www.plane-pics.de/fsxwx/forum.htm for any bugs, support, questions, etc.

Regards

Robert Budde

'Unfortunately', EGNT works for me.

Maybe, download and overwrite the wxmapping.bin file once again and recheck it.

Also, you could test to delete (backup first!) the wxstationlist.BIN in your %AppData%\Microsoft\FSX folder - it will be automatically recreated by FSX.

Robert Budde