Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

Hi, I've been having an issue the past few flights. During my long hauls, the joystick will randomly disappear from FSX. This happens while the plane is on autopilot. I can still see the joystick is connected to the computer through the windows "usb game controllers" menu, but all I can select in FS is "mouse yoke". If I unplug and plug it back in it still doesnt show up in flightsim. Only upon re starting the sim can I use the joystick again. I also use the EZdok camera addon if this has anything to do with it.

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Hardware Controllers & Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I see from your PC spec you are running on Win8. I run same OS but with Saitek joystick yet I am experiencing the same issue as you. I find after some time the joystick will begin working again ( 5 - 10 mins ) and thankfully hasn't disconnected at critical phases!

Being at the bleeding edge with OS brings with it such joys as these...

Are you using FSUIPC?

Regards

Morten Steen

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

23.png

I have been having this problem too. I found one issue to be a bad usb cord on one controller. Also with 7 saitek controllers attached to my rig this made big demands on the usb ports. Powered hubs didn't seem to work. Right now I have everything plugged in directly to seprate ports with some things on a usb switch so I can turn them off if I want to. I haven't had any problem since taking these steps. Josh

Here is some useful info.

USB hubs are useful devices that split one USB port on a laptop or desktop computer into multiple ports that can each accommodate its own peripheral device. This is a common solution for computer users with several extra devices, like external hard drives, thumb drives, DVD burners, keyboards, mice and other gadgets like lamps and plasma balls. When a user needs more USB ports than can be found in a single USB hub, they will often connect multiple hubs together in a process colloquially known as “daisy chaining.” This can be a viable solution when several USB ports are needed and many manufacturers list the maximum number of ports that can be made available with this method when using their hubs. Frequently, as many as 127 devices can be hooked up to a computer via a single daisy chain of USB hubs. However, this process raises a few important concerns that you will need to plan for if you plan to implement this method of USB expansion. We’ve assembled a few key points to remember when connecting powered USB hubs in this manner.

Power Consumption

USB devices draw power from the ports they are connected to, receiving at most 5.25V from a single port; the same is true for ports made available by USB hubs. Most devices will not require the full power load that these ports make available, but there are several devices that will make use of all of the power this connection facilitates. A select few devices, like high speed external hard drives, will require more power than a single USB hub port can provide. Typically, these devices come with a Y-shaped cord that can be plugged into, and draw power from, two ports simultaneously. When connecting multiple high-demand peripheral devices, it may be necessary to have a powered USB hub rather than a hub with no external power. All of the devices we reviewed come with a power adapter for these situations. If you have too many demanding external devices connected at once through the daisy chain process, your devices may not receive sufficient power and may turn themselves off to preserve sensitive data or equipment. These problems are generally easy to overcome by attaching the appropriate power supplies to each hub you place in the sequence.

Data Transfer Rates

The maximum rate at which data can be transferred via a USB connection is 480Mbit/s. This data rate holds true for each USB controller on the motherboard. Several motherboard models incorporate multiple controllers on what is called the “southbridge,” a chip in the motherboard that facilitates communication between different parts of the computer. This transfer rate remains constant, regardless of the number of devices you have attached to the computer. Therefore, the more peripheral devices you have connected to the USB hubs you have daisy chained to a single port, the lower the data transfer rate will be to those devices. It creates a bottleneck in the process, slowing the overall transfer rate to these devices proportionate to the demands of the devices attached to it. So, no matter how many USB hubs you have lined up and connected, the single port that you have it plugged into will only be able to provide a total of 480Mbit/s per USB controller. The number of controllers depends on your motherboard.

When connecting multiple USB hubs together, be sure that you'll have sufficient power for each peripheral device by attaching the included power supply. Also, realize that the data transfer rates to your peripheral devices will be lower if you have connected multiple demanding electronics. Daisy chaining can be a useful process if you need more ports than are traditionally available with a USB hub, but take note of these drawbacks before connecting your sensitive backup drive.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Hi ,

windows 7 has an option, possibly set as default to power down the usb ports after a certain length of time if it detects no usage. If you go to the control panel and select device manager then check the properties of your usb hubs . There is a tick box to allow the computer to turn off the hubs to save power.If it is ticked this may be the cause of your problems.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Same here! Flew Kos-Heraklion-Mykonos-Trondheim-Svalbard with the NGX in a single session (without closing the sim that is-not on the same day!) and during ILS approach at Svalbard I disconnected the A/P only to see that my joystick (Saitek Cyborg Evo) was not responding at all except for the hat switch to look around. Tried the key combination to activate/disactivate joystick in FSX, tried a different usb port, reinstalled drivers, changed all usb properties to not turn off the power... still nothnig. The PC sees the stick as usual, in the sim however it is not listed in the "controllers" menu. I saved the flight mid-air, quit the flight, checked the "Controls" menu again from the main (preflight) FSX menu and it was listed again. Loaded back my saved flight, guess what! Joystick missing again!! I am running WIN8 as well... Never saw that before in WIN7 btw...

I solved the issue in Windows 8 by setting FSX/P3D to use Windows 7 compatibility mode.

I have since gone back to Windows 7 OS

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Unfortunately compatibility mode did not do the trick. I'm currently in cruise on my second leg of the day and my joystick is once again lost but only in FSX. Considering diverting to an ILS equipped airport for an autoland... :huh:

Did you install the Saitek drivers for Windows 8?

Try this in combination with compatibility mode.

Something else that has occured.. try set power mgt in Windows to

High Performance => Change advanced power settings => Scroll down to USB settings

=>Set "USB selective suspend setting" to "Disabled"

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

windows will power down the usbs after about 10 minutes of being idle. If you use the suggestion by EGNT pilot above it will be fine until you plug something different into the usb slot or you restart the computer because then you have to reset the usbs again. If you go to control panel\hardware and sound\power options ,then choose high performance power option at the bottom. Once you have done this click edit plan settings\change advanced power settings. In the advanced power options open the USB settings /USB selective suspend setting and turn it to disable. Now press Apply and all is fine with the world.

Ken

ooops just noticed this had allready been answered ny Jude. Oh well this shows you how to get to the settings ;-)

I've tried all of the solutions above but to no avail... Today my joystick disappeared within 1-2 from starting the sim. A power setting is out of the question I guess since I've even disabled the "selective suspend" setting. Compatibility mode and "run as administrator" options haven't helped either. Thanks to everyone for their suggesations though... I've seen other reports of this as well so I don't think my joystick is defective.

I had the same issue but only when flying the NGX, tried everything never found the answer, I came to the decision the PC wasnt up to it ... bought a top of the line PC and no probs after that, just cost me £1,400 though!!!

Hope you find the answer.

Rich

Maybe a solution,

But a case is not the different one.

I have this problem since I use two monitors. The problem occurs when FSX loses the focus and passes in mode pause.

I've installed the last beta nvidia drivers (310.33-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-beta.exe).

During the installation, Windows 8 asks whether it is necessary to accept the installation of nvidia USB drivers.

I accepted and since, I did not have a disconnection of the joystick any more.

Friendly

Aimé
My Youtube channel

Windows 10 Professionnel 64-bit / MS-7917 / 16384MB RAM / ATI Radeon RX590 8GB Vram / SyncMaster B2430L / SyncMaster 2333SW / LG ULTRAWIDE / Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 / Yüsmart JT198x7-1 / Flight Yoke System / Saitek Pro Flight Switch Panel + Trottle quadran / Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals / Trackir5