Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

I've tried using the DLYS application and can't seem to get my controllers to appear for some reason even after clicking on 'scan'.

Has anyone else had any success with getting it to work?

Hi guys

before come back to Windows 7 or FSUIPC or DLYS, have you tried the fix as suggested in post N.311 ??

It worked fine for me !

It solved all my problems between Windows8 and USB 2/3 devices. ^_^

Hi guys

before come back to Windows 7 or FSUIPC or DLYS, have you tried the fix as suggested in post N.311 ??

It worked fine for me !

It solved all my problems between Windows8 and USB 2/3 devices. ^_^

That did not work for me. I went back to Windows 7 and have had many many hours of troublefree FSX  + PMDG NGX + All my other addons and also not a single crash. I will now continue to use Windows 7 for as long as possible :)

The first time that I tried to apply the fix didn't even work to me.  
Motive is that I had applied " power setting " only to the controller USB related to the Saitek.  
When instead I  set  the fix on all devices  USBs and HID, all started to regularly work.

In every case I am happy for you that with windows 7 don't have problems anymore.  
However I didn't have crash to desktop, but only the problem of the Joystick.

Luigi

The first time that I tried to apply the fix didn't even work to me.  

Motive is that I had applied " power setting " only to the controller USB related to the Saitek.  

When instead I  set  the fix on all devices  USBs and HID, all started to regularly work.

Is there a way to tell in Device Manager which USB controller the stick or yoke is attached to? I've tried the above as you said and I still had one occurrence of my controller dropping out the other night during an MD-11 cockpit prep. Is there anything else other than HID and USB controllers I should be looking for? Not every device gives me the 'power management' option in properties.

Is there a way to tell in Device Manager which USB controller the stick or yoke is attached to? I've tried the above as you said and I still had one occurrence of my controller dropping out the other night during an MD-11 cockpit prep. Is there anything else other than HID and USB controllers I should be looking for? Not every device gives me the 'power management' option in properties.

Sorry, but I don't know if there is a way to do this.... :mellow:

For this reason I've disabled the power setting of all the devices.

Luigi

Let me be the first to say that attempting to downgrade to Windows 7 on a UEFI based system that has Win 8 factory installed is next to impossible,  After 3 days of unsuccessful attempts to get Windows 7 to install, I have given up.  No longer is it a easy solution of popping in the install disc and letting it do it's magic, now you have to delete certain partitions...but Windows 8 won't allow you to delete them.  You have to turn off safe boot in the uefi...ugh.  This is quite frustrating.

Finally got Windows 7 to take, but it involved me installing the hard drive into a non uefi system and allowing Windows to install based on a basic BIOs.  So far...so good.

It's absolutely ridiculous that this type of issue is being allowed to continue, and all that Microsoft will do is point the finger at the controller manufacturer and vice-versa.  It's not only the joystick issue for me though; it's the overall instability of Windows 8 when it comes to FSX.  I am nearly guaranteed an app crash when flying the NGX, and UT2 is throwing out constant errors.  It really is a crap shoot, and that's enough for me to let it go.

I agree. How are they gonna make Windows 8 succesful if they don't even fix the important problems? These things are exactly what I was afraid for regarding a new Windows version combined with FSX. Compatibility issues. People said it wouldn't make a difference what OS you're running as long as it's XP or higher, but I turned out to be right. If this isn't gonna be fixed and if Windows 9 doesn't fix this as well, then there's a bad future for us FSX users, at least, regarding FSX itself. We can't keep on running Windows 7 forever you know.

I agree. How are they gonna make Windows 8 succesful if they don't even fix the important problems? These things are exactly what I was afraid for regarding a new Windows version combined with FSX. Compatibility issues. People said it wouldn't make a difference what OS you're running as long as it's XP or higher, but I turned out to be right. If this isn't gonna be fixed and if Windows 9 doesn't fix this as well, then there's a bad future for us FSX users, at least, regarding FSX itself. We can't keep on running Windows 7 forever you know.

Does FSX work with Linux ?   Or is this a stupid question ?..............

Paul

Some Windows programs will work using VMWare, WIne or other Windows emulators that run under Linux.  The big problem is getting compatible hardware drivers to play nice with the emulation layer. The second issue is that emulation slows everything down.

Here's  the testing page using Wine:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7775

AVSim has a lot more threads about FSX and Linux, but very little is encouraging. As somebody once said, FSX barely runs properly under Windows. ;-)