Sign in to follow this  
Swe_Richard

Missing airport lights.

Just noticed that I have no airport lights in either 10.20b7 or 10.10. Graphics driver issue or bug? Currently using a 7970 with the latest drivers.

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Hmmm, now you bring that to my mind, it's a long time (maybe since 10.07???) since I have seen the PAPI or TDZ light at LPPT's rw 03 and 21....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hmmm, now you bring that to my mind, it's a long time (maybe since 10.07???) since I have seen the PAPI or TDZ light at LPPT's rw 03 and 21....

Yes, there is something fishy about this. I think this has been an issue for some time now. However now it was so obvious. Are you using a radeon card also?

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Nope, Nvidia 450 GTS here....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Nope, Nvidia 450 GTS here....

Oh, can't really blame the gpu, then... Anyone else experienced this?

Richard

I think some airports may have LOST some of their accessories (beacons, PAPI/VASI, windsocks) with the recent apt.dat update from July 2012... this would have included 10.10.

See a posting here which I helped troubleshoot a similar problem for another user.

Something may have gone wonky with Robin Peel's processing when he created the new airport data set? I didn't proceed any farther than that.

To test for yourself, perform a quick, separate install of X-Plane 10 from your DVD's. Don't update it... just grab the apt.dat file from it and temporarily backup and replace the apt.dat found in your current, normal install. You might find your PAPI, VASI, and windsocks have returned....

I think some airports may have LOST some of their accessories (beacons, PAPI/VASI, windsocks) with the recent apt.dat update from July 2012... this would have included 10.10.

See a posting here which I helped troubleshoot a similar problem for another user.

Something may have gone wonky with Robin Peel's processing when he created the new airport data set? I didn't proceed any farther than that.

To test for yourself, perform a quick, separate install of X-Plane 10 from your DVD's. Don't update it... just grab the apt.dat file from it and temporarily backup and replace the apt.dat found in your current, normal install. You might find your PAPI, VASI, and windsocks have returned....

Oh, thanks for the tip! I will try this out. However installing feels like a pain in the rear. Any way of just digging up this file from the dvd?

Richard

Nice info Greggerm! Thx!

Main Simulation Rig:

Oh, thanks for the tip! I will try this out. However installing feels like a pain in the rear. Any way of just digging up this file from the dvd?

I don't think so... just install one single square of scenery to a "temporary" X-Plane installation directory - perhaps a square from the South Pacific where there's very little data. Shouldn't take TOO long. That will install the global apt.dat file for all airports worldwide. Don't update that new installation, and just copy that "old" apt.dat over to the "current" location, and give it a whirl. (Be sure to backup any files first, of course!)

You can alsoopen both apt.dat files in WED instead, importing the airport in question from both the old and the new apt.dat to see if any VASI/PAPI/Windsock elements exist on one but not on the other.

Brilliant! Will check. Thanks!

Richard

Now I've tested with the original apt.dat-file and there was no difference. I know I've felt that the airport lights have been dim as of late, but now it is impossible to see the airports when flying. This is confusing and I would really like som insight in to what I can do to fix this. Is a bug report in order, or has this issue something to do with anything I might have done?

Richard

Your not alone, I can't see the airport lights either like I used too. Haven't changed anything on my system other than XP beta updates.

Did a flight last night, was at 4,000 ft, about 10 miles from the airport in clear weather and couldn't see any airport lights. May as well have been in total cloud cover. It wasen't until I was almost on top of the aiport that the lights were visible.

In all honesty they were way too bright before, seems to be a 180.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

I popped open the example airport JComm provided (Lisboa / LPPT) and it is indeed has no PAPI/VASI lights in the latest apt.dat file.... when I open the same airport in the 10.05 era apt.dat, there is PAPI/VASI.

Sounds like two different issues here...

A few have an issue with the current brightness level of the lights,

Another has a case where some lights/settings have changed with the July 2012 apt.dat file.

-Greg

I'll try LPPT and report back.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

I'll try LPPT and report back.

Thx! It should show PAPIs in all rws less 17...

http://www.airport-d...PPT-LIS/#runway

Ah! And there was never any hint of TDZ lights on rw 21...

Main Simulation Rig: