Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Saitek Multi Panel Trim Wheel increase sensitivity?

I have the saitek multi panel with fsx on win 8 x64.. it works fairly well.. except it seems to me it takes quite a bit of "spinning" to get the trim on the aircraft (c172) to adjust.. i'm not sure if its like this in real life or if its just a sensitivity thing?

Does anyone know how it compares with real trim wheels, out of the box? Should I consider installing SPAD (would that allow greater sensitivity)?

Thanks in advance

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

SPAD allows sensitivity tweaking. Not sure IIRC you can adjust the trim setting axis in default settings.

I never used the trim wheel on that Multipanel at all because of that... Took so long to trim the plane, by the time I was done, I needed to do it all over again as I had changed direction/height..

Found that using the switch on the yoke was far quicker.

I have the multi pannel and found the trim wheel not that good. I tryed everything to make it right. I got the cessna trim wheel and it works like a charm. Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

I never used the trim wheel on that Multipanel at all because of that... Took so long to trim the plane, by the time I was done, I needed to do it all over again as I had changed direction/height..

Found that using the switch on the yoke was far quicker.

Maybe more convenient! But in MHO it is not more sensitive (Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke). Might be a good time to refresh with Chapter 9 of Stick and Rudder. And I love the discussions that ensue.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Maybe more convenient! But in MHO it is not more sensitive (Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke). Might be a good time to refresh with Chapter 9 of Stick and Rudder. And I love the discussions that ensue.

Yeah I've heard that the standalone wheel is better.. but for those that agree that the saitek multi's wheel is lacking sensitivity, did you try SPAD to increase the response rate.. was it no real joy or did it help.

So in real life, I take it the wheel isn't this slow to respond right? Its been years since I took a few lessons and I never trimmed then.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Its been years since I took a few lessons and I never trimmed then.

Do you recall how your flight instructor taught you to level off?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

In FSX lessons, isn't it "Set power > Adjust attitude > Trim" every time...

Do you recall how your flight instructor taught you to level off?

Well for me that was too many years ago to recall.. but I thought the basic practice, say for cruise altitude was to reduce throttle slightly (to cruise rpm, whatever that might be, like say in a cessna 172) then adjust trim for level flight.. and repeat the same before landing etc?

Well for me that was too many years ago to recall.. but I thought the basic practice, say for cruise altitude was to reduce throttle slightly (to cruise rpm, whatever that might be, like say in a cessna 172) then adjust trim for level flight.. and repeat the same before landing etc?

And there you go! Forget here for the discussion that autopilots even exist, First, before attempting to level, adjust your rate of climb a couple of hundred feet below your target altitude. Reduce power and put forward pressure on the yoke. Forward pressure on the yoke does what? It lowers the angle of attack and that increases speed. Increased speed increases lift. Reduced power reduces speed. Reduced speed decreases lift. They go hand in hand, or do they?

Learn to level off with yoke pressure to increase speed, and power adjustment to control altitude. You should be able to achieve target altitude and speed that way. Then use trim to adjust the physical force needed to reduce or mostly eliminate the amount of pressure you have to exert to maintain your speed. Trim should be a secondary control.

These dynamics are also a key in spin recovery.

My Saitek Multipanel trim wheel works fine. However I use the four-way rocker switch on the left yoke handle more often. I fly mostly instrument flying and set target altitude with the autopilot. I use trim most often after flaps, and gear on final, but its only for fine adjustments. Power is my primary control for descent rate. When I do fly VFR such as in the Skymaster 337 and usually at 5,000 or below, I rarely use autopilot and control altitude and speed first with power and yoke pressure, and then last with trim to eliminate the yoke pressure. That's how I was taught to fly.

SaitekMulti-M.jpg

Chapter 9 of Stick and Rudder has begot many long philosophical discussions, and has stood the test of time.

Frank Patton
ASUS