Sign in to follow this  
SirStiggie

Cold and Dark start up, am I doing something wrong?

The state of the start locks is NOT saved (i.e. they're always off if you load a flight)

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I disagree, in the example I mentioned above (start FSX without opening screen and a C&D JS41 selected as default aircraft) the startlocks are saved. I can start-up the aircraft and after startup I have to disengage the startlocks by pulling the trust levers back.

If I select the J41 right after loading FSX, weird things happen. I hear the engines starting up when the plane is spinning and once I load the flight, the right engine will not start. I'll try your suggestion about putting it on my desktop.

Make sure you're not doing any of this:

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a90/j41-default-flight-related-issues.aspx

The reason why we should have had a service pack if only to have a proper panel state save, please?

This will not be happening - panel state saving is a major thing that makes the other products much more expensive than the J41 is. It takes a lot of extra coding to do and it's something that has to be planned for from the start. The J41 was never intended to have that feature. Most flights it flew in the real world were under an hour in length.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

A work around is not the same as a patch... I bought this with great expectations yet after reading and annotating the manual and checklists (color coded to identify where to find items in the cockpit) I am still unable to enjoy this a/c. The a/c has been "sitting" in my hangar unused for long periods of time.

Mostly engines burn up at the gates. I tried the Cold & Dark workaround utility which helps but does not circumvent the problem. Yesterday I tried again adding some tips from a VA regarding the start locks & feathering.

Basically before engines always burnt off at the gates at the moment I pressed "Start". Quite frustrating after an hour following checklists (looking around the cockpit).

Yesterday the engines started properly so I thought I was finally going to fly this bird. The moment came to taxi to the runway, I slowly moved the throttles A LITTLE bit forward (Condition Lever in Taxi) to start moving and right away the left engine caught fire.

So I insist, what am I missing???? that patch would greatly help people enjoy this fine a/c. I had my eyes on other PMDG products but when I saw the "abandonment" of JS41 issues I thought the same would happen with the other products, besides this was not a cheap thing to buy...

Any help please??? I want to enjoy this bird.

Buy yourself FS2Crew, after you load the J41, your copilot will set a C&D cockpit for you  B)

Yesterday the engines started properly so I thought I was finally going to fly this bird. The moment came to taxi to the runway, I slowly moved the throttles A LITTLE bit forward (Condition Lever in Taxi) to start moving and right away the left engine caught fire.

So I insist, what am I missing????L

That behaviour is the same as the real aircraft, you're asking for a patch to make the aircraft less realistic! If engine fires are an issue for you they can be disabled in the configuration manager.

Also I would advise against using cold and dark tools or loading cold and dark flights, that is probably causing many problems you are experiencing. Load it normally the create a flight screen and then sut it down yourself. You can do that in less than two minutes and programme the fms whilst waiting for egt to cool.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Nope, I am not asking for a patch to make it less realistic, I was only hoping for a patch to have the a/c properly save cockpit state, that is entirely different. However, I recently read that is never going to happen.

I think the C&D tools have actually helped a bit. The problem with the cockpit state mess is that you go through the checklist and because it is NOT in C&D then many things are ON when they should be OFF or in some undesirable position, all those little things that can contribute to an engine fire due to a wrong procedure because something was NOT in the right setting by the time you reached that item in the checklist.

I also tried that FAQ&TIPS from your VA (I think it is), found it a great help, at least now my engines didn't get fire when I turned them on. What I don't know is why it happened as soon as I moved the throttle slowly forward a bit (not into flight power). BTW that FAQ&TIPS doesn't say where those two "LOCK RELEASE" red buttons do in the whole procedure. I think they are there for a reason.

My usual procedure is

Load FSX

Go to the "free flight" screen

Select the airport

Select the JS4100

"Go Fly"

sim then loads up the JS4100 with engines running, avionics on etc.

I then shut it down as if it just arrived on stand.

Once it's all done, load ActiveSky, FSinn, start flightplanning etc.

By the time that's done, the engines should have cooled down enough to restart.

Yes this means you shut down twice per flight and start up once per flight.

BTW that FAQ&TIPS doesn't say where those two "LOCK RELEASE" red buttons do in the whole procedure. I think they are there for a reason.

Someone else recently posed me the same question in another thread. The "lock release" is only used in abnormal operations (such as in flight engine shutdown) and unlock the condition levers so they can be moved below the ground idle position and in to feather/cutoff.

In normal operstions you use the stop buttons on the overhead to shut the engines down.

support1.jpg

BTW that FAQ&TIPS doesn't say where those two "LOCK RELEASE" red buttons do in the whole procedure. I think they are there for a reason.

Someone else recently posed me the same question in another thread.

Actually it was you! Please kindly read my responses instead of asking the same question in multiple threads! See here for my original reply to your question: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/261431-js41-startup-guide/?p=2758187

support1.jpg