Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

AOTD for 12/27 - Iditarod 1 - Campbell Airstrip

Our journey begins. This is checkpoint one on the trail.

Enjoy.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

This one was a piece of cake. Short flight to an airport that was much larger than I expected.

Wonder what they will do about next Thursday's aerocache. It should be Willow which is checkpoint #2 on the trail. We've already had an AOTD here on July 21 and it was named "Iditarod Checkpoint #2 - Willow.

Could be a re-release of this one. If so, I wonder if it we be available to all so we can collect it again, or not. Guess we shall see.:)

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Show Off :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

Luis, let's see you do that with the Carbon Cub :lol:

Our journey begins. This is checkpoint one on the trail.

Enjoy.

To complicate things further...the Iditarod checkpoints have moved around a bit since the race began in 1973. The Start and Restart have been in Anchorage, Campbell, Wasilla, and Willow, as well as others in between. The ceremonial start is still always held in downtown Anchorage, the first weekend in March, with snow supplied by the city. But since 2008, the real Start happens in Willow the following day. If I was numbering them, I would call Willow checkpoint “0”. Add to this…every other year the course changes from the Northern route to the Southern route. Iditarod 2013 will take the Southern route. The best way to refer to the checkpoints is by name. I watch the race every year. It really is the last great race.

route_northern1.jpg?cecb8a

The Iditarod Trail checkpoint map, taken directly from the official Iditarod Trail webside. I guess that one would be the most current?

Ah, so we're going through the Southern route?

Odd numbered years use the southern route. The fork is at Ophir, and then the north and south routes reconnect at Kaltag. Your maps (above) are the most recent. The ceremonial start ends at Campbell Airstrip, where the teams are then trucked to Willow for the restart. (see dotted line) The racers times for the 11 miles from Anchorage to Campbell are not included in the racers total times. Glad to see Cambell as a checkpoint, this is going to be a fun series.