Sign in to follow this  
Simmer2050

FSX ETA to destination, not ETA to next waypoint

Hi

Anybody know a way to get something to display ETA to destination in FSX.

Looking for an fps friendly solution.

The problem is i have the free fsx honeywell FMC, which displays this info, but soon as i engage nav mode using Garmin1000, both fsx GPS and Honeywell FMC loose info on full flight plan and just show only next waypoint.

Only the flight1 aviation g1000 stuident simulator shows full flight plan, and for the life of me cant workout how to get the garmin to show cummulative and not leg/leg distance, and cummulative ETA not just leg to leg eta.

any ideas

cheeers

I'm not familiar with the G1000, but I went through the same frustration with the 500W a while ago, and while the information is available internally, I couldn't find a way of displaying it.

So I added an option to my "supercharged" 500W, to switch between the ETA for the next WP and the destination.

If you want to stick with the G1000 though (and nobody can find a way to extract that data from there), you'd have to install a separate gauge for that.

Even though I can display the destination ETA in my modified 500W, when I really want to arrive right on the minute, I normally sitll have a little extra gauge window open, to only display the currenttime and the ETA.

It's as minimalistic as it gets, and you can download it from my site.

This is how it looks:

eta.gif

Hi Kronzky

Thanks a million, i will go try this out.

in order to get it to look like in the pic , i supppose i need to download the wx500 and your gauge seperatly.

Then go combine the 2

cheers

Been playing with the Kronzy gps and eta tool. I can definatly see good use for both.

Installed the gauges, but yet to test in flight

Thanks again

I'm not familiar with the G1000, but I went through the same frustration with the 500W a while ago, and while the information is available internally, I couldn't find a way of displaying it.

So I added an option to my "supercharged" 500W, to switch between the ETA for the next WP and the destination.

If you want to stick with the G1000 though (and nobody can find a way to extract that data from there), you'd have to install a separate gauge for that.

Even though I can display the destination ETA in my modified 500W, when I really want to arrive right on the minute, I normally sitll have a little extra gauge window open, to only display the currenttime and the ETA.

It's as minimalistic as it gets, and you can download it from my site.

This is how it looks:

eta.gif

Its a good thing to have FsRecorder saved flights for testing stuff.

Tried with a saved flight, and the GPS is working perfect. Teh massive bonus for me in theis GPS is terrain display. Wish i knew about this a month ago before i purchased flight 1 aviation garmin1000.

Flight1 Aviation garmin i bought mainly for terrain info, and this your tool provides terrain info in map quality that is as good if not better than the flight1 tool + they told me destination ETA is an added feature.

Perfect answer to my post looks like problem solved

cheers.

I had to compare the accuracy of the terrain avoidance data dfrom the free gps with the flight1 garmin 1000 simulator.

Basically during approach, avoid mountains etc, both a ok.

But once you fully lined up and about 10 miles out, there should be no red areas between you and the runway, maybe yellow or black. This is where the free gps terrain info fails. Its shows areas of red between a/c and runway even though visual inpection says otherwise. Its cause the plane is around 1500 ft so close to ground now anyway.

The garmin1000 is quite nice and really functional, but biggest issue is, its cpu hungry. Hugs around 7% of cpu permanently. In comparison As2012 comes and goes around 1.5% cpu usage, but not constant.

Hence the free GPS will be very usefull for terrian info for flights where i am low on FPS.

Great tool , thanks for sharing.

Glad you find it useful!

As far as the terrain display is concerned — I could've probably made it more accurate, but then you'd be taking an FPS hit again, just like with the commercial solutions, and I definitely didn't want that.

The main purpose of the terrain display is to give you a heads-up warning. If there's some red on there, look out the window, and make sure you're ok.

The granularity is fairly rough, but it always errs on the safe side (i.e. you might see red when it's safe, but you'll never see green when there's danger).

Once you develop a feel for the display you can use it for some pretty exact flying, though: I did several trips through the Rockies, way below the peaks, just using my GPS to find and follow suitable valleys; and it's quite a bit of fun navigating this way (like trying to find your way out of a maze).

And for those who might pop into this thread, wondering what we're talking about — this is how the relative terrain display looks like: terrain10000ft.jpg

You haven't seen anything like this for use externally, ya know on an client pc?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

You haven't seen anything like this for use externally, ya know on an client pc?

Flight1 Garmin1000 student simulator, was mainly designed to be used external, google it.

pricy though

Hi Kronzky:

I have gone to your web site and downloaded the GPS zip file a couple times. Each time I try to unzip it I get an indication that the readme and pdf files are corrupted. The gauge file comes through fine. I sent you an email on this issue earlier today. Do you have another site that I could go to to download the zip file or have a suggestion as to how I can get a working copy of the zip?

Regards,

Danny

Guest do_denver2

Me as well, I was unable to unzip the file.........

It is still happening?

I uploaded a new version after the first report by Danny, and downloaded and extracted it successfully on two different PCs without problem.

If you still have issues with it, please PM me.

Guest do_denver2

Thanks! I got it this time. In a little while I'm going to give a whirl in P3D.... I really hope it works as I've long been searching for any terrain awareness that will work in P3D! Thanks alot!

Got a good copy. Thanks for your quick response. Gauges works well.

Regards,

Danny